links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Machine knitting
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 1:53 pm    Post subject: Machine knitting Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as an attractive machine knit garment? I have a basic Bond Classic knitting machine and I'm wondering what to do with it. Mum cannot actually remember how to use it but I don't think it's too complicated is it?

Felting occurs to me but I am feeling unimaginative at the moment.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very useful for making basic blank shapes that you can then do things to- those stoles I do start out as a length of machine knitting that I crochet ends on before felting them slightly. Felted bags and cushion covers would also be a doddle using that machine.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the stoles and I lost mine at some downsizer do. Thank you, that's a great start (although it does mean I won't be clearing that bit of space in the house ).

T.G

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
I love the stoles and I lost mine at some downsizer do. Thank you, that's a great start (although it does mean I won't be clearing that bit of space in the house ).

cleared space is a tad overrated (types the woman with everything from the drawing room and dining room outside so has two completely empty rooms )

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make socks on the Bond Cathryn - here are some old posts with photos and instructions.

https://forum.downsizer.net/about6817.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=making+socks&start=0

https://forum.downsizer.net/about999.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=making+socks&start=15

Once you get the hang of it you can knit a pair in just over an hour.

There's loads of information and a lot of videos and patterns for the Bond on the 'net. For example :

https://forum.downsizer.net/about999.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=making+socks&start=15

mamamakes

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mum used to knit the most amazing jumpers on her knitiing machine! I've actually been thinking of getting one myself....Definately worth learning how to use them!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll hang onto it then for the day when I find some time.

bibbster

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Machine knitting Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
Is there such a thing as an attractive machine knit garment? I have a basic Bond Classic knitting machine and I'm wondering what to do with it. Mum cannot actually remember how to use it but I don't think it's too complicated is it?

Felting occurs to me but I am feeling unimaginative at the moment.

would you like a less basic knitting machine? i have one which I never use, does all sorts, has a 2nd bed which means it can do proper ribbing, a linker for joining bits togther, and is a puchcard machine which means it can do pretty patterns. f you are not tempted, do you know of anyone who might be

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:

Get rid of it then. You're never going to get round to using it.

judith

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Cathryn wrote:

Get rid of it then. You're never going to get round to using it.

He's right, you know.

Love what you wear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 5:44 pm    Post subject: Bond Classic Knitting Machine instructions Reply with quote

Hello! I've just joined the forum after a search on Bond classic knitting machines let me here! I'm being lent one for a while but it has no instructions so am hopeful that some kindly person on here would be able to trade the instructions for something please!

I've started a project called Love What You Wear, and am not buying any new clothes for a year - rather have to make them, upcycle or buy second hand. I've also got 29 other people who've joined me on this challenge (anyone is welcome to join too!)

Here's a link to the blog in case you are interested. I'm one month in so far..
https://thelovewhatyouwearproject.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you in advance!
Morwhenna

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I'm not going to be any help with the knitting stuff though.

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor am I with a Bond. Can't remember how they work! I'm sure someone here will use one, though.

Ren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bond Classic Knitting Machine instructions Reply with quote

Love what you wear wrote:
Hello!

Here's a link to the blog in case you are interested. I'm one month in so far..
https://thelovewhatyouwearproject.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you in advance!
Morwhenna

Just had a quick nosey over on the blog, you have got some right bargains.

One of the regulars on here got a load of 2 ply cones a few years back, they can be quite good for lacey knitting too (although can be time consuming)

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make mine work. I think it might need new needles. I'm thinking of just sending the yarn to Sally and paying her. It can clutter up her house for a bit, and she's better at finishing things than I am!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive