About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
signal boosters
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 2:43 pm    Post subject: signal boosters Reply with quote

A little tech advice needed please. I don't get very much signal from the router which is downstairs when I'm working upstairs. In fact I have to take the lappy out onto he landing to get it to connect to interweb. I believe you can get a gadget which amplifies the signal. Does anyone use such a thing? Do they work? Can anyone recommend one?

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've copied this from my ethernet thread & so far I can't recommend it highly enough;

Rob R wrote:
Update; Thanks to one of these little gizmos we now have the landline internet connected to the caravan via our existing electric wiring. No more dongle.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sort of thing! There's a lot of models on that page. Which one do you have?

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the TL-WPA281 kit. It's working very well on both wireless and wired connections 150m away. The only thing about it was that it is a European plug, so needs an adapter. They supplied one with the kit but I had to buy another. Only £1.70 but if I'd known I would have bought them together & got up & running quicker.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to go to the big city next weekend. I'll see if Maplin's have them. Thanks Rob.

Anyone else use anything else? I imagine my problem isn't as bad as Rob's was. Once I'm connected it's not too bad - but I rarely try to do anything that uses much bandwidth.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look and they do seem to come in UK versions. I should have looked more carefully - I just got too excited about being able to cancel the dongle contract.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our kit is like this one from Maplins.

12Bore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.maplin.co.uk/devolo-200mbps-powerline-single-socket--built-in-wireless-n300-range-extender-506663
Cross posted, check compatibility with your router.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheap are they? OK. Thaks for the input. At least I know what I'm talking about now.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you get what you pay for - I decided on mine after a recommendation on another forum. Of course ours means we can cut down on fees (should pay for itself in 4 months) but the difference it has made would have been worth the investment just in time saved on the go-slow & reconnecting issue.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
I think you get what you pay for.

Oh absolutely. But it's better to know what the damage is likely to be in advance.

Went

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your router? Since ours was replaced signal is much stronger - ours was about 5 years old - just a thought.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawber wrote:
How old is your router? Since ours was replaced signal is much stronger - ours was about 5 years old - just a thought.

It's quite old. I think we got it when we moved in. Do modern ones give out more signal?

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've got an edimax wireless repeater

the router is upstairs but the signal can't get through the granite walls

this little box downstairs gives plenty of wreless coverage.I think it was about 30 quid

Drewsephine

Location: noun 1 a particular place or position: the property is set in a convenient location an actual place
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 13 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Gawber wrote:

It's quite old. I think we got it when we moved in. Do modern ones give out more signal?

Depends on the sort. Look for wireless-n

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive