Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Woolly coated labradoodle hair - can I spin it?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 13 12:24 pm    Post subject: Woolly coated labradoodle hair - can I spin it? Reply with quote

Question in the title thread, really - would I have to blend it with wool fibre and, if so, at what ratio?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Finsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 13 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just have to try..perharps just twisting first some fibres between your fingers to see if they will 'stick' and if you can make short piece of yarn without it falling apart. You only need few inches of twisted hair and let it double/ply itself to see what it would look and feel like when spun. Give it good tuck..handle it to see how it holds.
If it doesn't hold, you will need to blend it with some other fibre to help it keep together...again you need to 'feel' and test it to see what you will need.
All fibres will vary how they behave so there is no definate 'recipes' to these things.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 13 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat of a thread warp here (pun intended.)

Yes, some dog hair can be spun. Samoyed is very good. Some time ago friends saved up the "output" of their two samoyeds for me one year. I sent it to my sister in Israel, who is a weaver. Customs had some issues . . .

And I knew a woman who invited every passing collie (Lassie type) in to her house for a brush up. She spun enough yarn to knit a sweater (which on a damp day smelled like a damp dog.)

There's a fabulous book published a couple of years ago, The Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook
https://www.storey.com/prebook_detail.php?isbn=9781603427111
that details an incredible diversity of sheep, fiber goats, and expands into yaks, camels, bison, and yes, dogs. The authors even obtained small samples of just about every fiber, then carded, spun, and trialed. Also incredible are the photographs of animals, carded fleece, and fiber.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 13 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Woolly coated labradoodle hair - can I spin it? Reply with quote

catbaffler wrote:
Question in the title thread, really - would I have to blend it with wool fibre and, if so, at what ratio?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

There's a book called 'How to Spin Just About Anything', by Janet Renouf-Miller (who belongs to my local Spinners Weavers & Dyers Guild). Google her name, or Creative Fibres. Might have some tips.

catbaffler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 13 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks; I was asked if I'd be interested in spinning some for someone who would be willing to pay me however my skills are still in need of considerable honing - I'm not sure if I'd be up to the task on a wheel and using a drop spindle would add hours to the job...

Having read around a bit online, it would seem that I'd also have to do a bit of sorting to remove guard hairs as the fleeces in question are the result of clipping, rather than grooming which, I gather, mainly yields the softer, under coat that is the stuff one can spin.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 13 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had the hair from her Malaumute spun.

smudgesmumzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 13 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can always remember my friends mum knitting a jumper from the "wool" of her chow chow!
I felt so inspired I tried to knit some of my cats fur! I gave up after 8 stitches and 4 row of knitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive