Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone any good with MySQL?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 3:24 pm    Post subject: Anyone any good with MySQL? Reply with quote

I'm having an incredibly frustrating time trying to get the damn thing installed.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Windows? It was relatively painless, only done it once though and never really used it

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Windows. I have other services running and it may well have some port conflicts but the errors thrown are almost meaningless. I'm in the process of removing all other services and starting again.

JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use XAMPP ( https://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html ), as you don't need to install anything, just tweak it a bit.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
I use XAMPP ( https://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html ), as you don't need to install anything, just tweak it a bit.

No good for me, I need to run IIS.

Problem solved. MySQL is appalling at uninstalling and doesn't clear down registry settings properly. A re-install is never clean and causes all sorts of issues. Solved it my completely rebuilding the OS (I use VM's so that's relatively painless).

Jb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 13 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It's always my database of choice partly because I've found installing and uninstalling painless compared to other databases

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 13 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
Interesting. It's always my database of choice partly because I've found installing and uninstalling painless compared to other databases

I've had mixed results with MySQL, out of the box performance and features are adequate although not great compared to something like MS SQL Server and the install procedure is relatively simple. However, when it goes wrong it's difficult to resolve the issues cleanly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive