Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Living in a caravan
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 13 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has been interesting reading!
I'm looking to move out of my parents' house. As it definitley feels like my parents' house and not mine.
I have a potential place over at my brother's. He has some land.
I've been thinking of the best way of moving out into a site that probably won't be forever.
Was thinking of a simple summer house to start with, but they are quite pricey. It could be cheaper and easier to get a static caravan. I don't know how much it costs to transport them though. I've seen statics for about £1500 to £2500 (older models) but wooden boxes are £3000+!

Has anyone had any experience in log cabin type houses - actually, log gives the wrong impression - glorified tool sheds more like. I imagine they are slightly easier to insulate. Of course these things are just one room. So bathroom is a head scratcher.
Do I need to start a seperate thread?

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 13 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Canopy & Stars website.They do "Glamping".Lots of good ideas re sheds/vans etc.
Lots have compost loos and solar showers.
We have stayed at a couple of their places quite comfortably.

Also look at Ginkotrees`s place.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 13 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gardening-girl : )

onemanband

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 13 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura - I'd agree a static is (probably) cheaper and definitely easier. I would concede that a well made 'shed' is probably nicer to live in.
Haulage round these parts is about £300-£350 to stick it on truck and move 50 miles. I paid £300 + £50/hour for 4x4 assistance (recommended) total £475
For a 'shed' you will also need a base, internal walls, plumbing, electrics, heating, etc
A shed also has less resale value
I considered converting one of my outbuildings into a habitable building but after you tot up cost of materials and effort required, the convenience of a static won over.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 13 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh thanks onemanband.. that really helped!
I have to say I don't know enough about buildings basically... putting it like that made things a lot clearer.

nickofthewoods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 13 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura...a neighbour just bought a good static from St Davids via an agent just outside fishguard....it is double glazed,insulated underneath and proper tidy like...painted national park green..£1800...delivered...can find name of agent if interested.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Nick... It would be good to know. But i've been kindly reminded about planning etc. At least summer houses are easier in that respect. if it's a bother to find out, don't worry. : )

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS: don't forget to check planning regs.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diolch Mochyn - will do!

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura Skye wrote:
thanks Nick... It would be good to know. But i've been kindly reminded about planning etc. At least summer houses are easier in that respect.

I'm no expert in planning regs and my situation is different, so is just my opinion/thoughts ...
Summer houses prob are easier re regs, but once you mention you want to live in it, then I bet it will be a different matter. I'm guessing that if you tell them you are going to live in a shed then it will have to comply to all sorts of regs re insulation, fire, access, plumbing, electrics etc etc Whereas a caravan is allready designed and constructed to live in.

I'm not anti-shed or a caravan fanatic - just being practical.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that if there are lots of sheds on the property that are futher than 5, (i think) away from main home, then summer house type things aren't usually a problem. Even on their own, away from main house and less that 2.5m at the eaves, the planning regs for putting them there are quite relaxed. Living in them on the other hand..
The idea would be that it wouldn't have water or a toilet so it would be more in the class of outbuilding/farm building, according to friends who work at DEFRA.

urg.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look under permitted development.

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura Skye wrote:

The idea would be that it wouldn't have water or a toilet so it would be more in the class of outbuilding/farm building, according to friends who work at DEFRA.

urg.

If it's within permitted development and you aren't officially living there, then you can call it what you like - outbuilding/chicken shed/office/studio/summer house
But if you go official it don't matter what you call it, it will need residential planning permission and therefore meet certain standards.

'beds in sheds' (google it) is a big problem ATM

Calli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 13 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old habits die hard.
I am sitting in the old mobile home - it has the woodburner after all - and the prefab house is in situ and is perfect.

The prefab house is a four bed seriously insulated wood framed miracle...arrived in two parts, it is 40' by 22' and sits neatly in the middle of the farm yard. Luxury living

Woo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 13 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have been living in 2 (used to be portable) caravans with a covered decked area between for 2 years while we build.
they are flimsy. shelves dont manage very well, neither do the cupbord doors or beds.
they get damp from the thermal bridge of the alu walls. our books, of which there are a good few, are creating damp patches on the walls behind them.
we have a woodburner on the deck built into a block fireplace. we are warm as we have radiators etc but its a constant battle to dry washing and air the beds.
last year the water froze in the radiators when the incoming water froze and we had to bail out. the place is covered by a barn the vans are covered by roll after roll of insulation.
another problem is space, but there are 6 of us and four are children. i am very keen to get the house habitable so we can spread out and bounce on the furniture without fear of the floor falling away from under us!
buts that just my experiance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive