Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
5m usb cable - do I need an active cable

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 13 4:19 pm    Post subject: 5m usb cable - do I need an active cable Reply with quote

Exactly as it says. Ultimately I'd like 20m cables on the video, keyboard and mouse but 5 will do for now. But at that length do I need active cables?

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 13 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not be be okay with 5 metres. 5 metres for full speed devices and 3 metres for any low speed devices (unpowered).

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 13 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not answer the specific question. However, when I tried using an extension cable to link my printer to my PC it did not work. I Googled the issue and found that over a certain length extension USB cables will not work.

Having gone to wireless and Bluetooth I no longer have the problem. Is this not an option for your situation?

sg

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 13 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely use 5m cables for various bits of unpowered kit. All works lovely except for one device, which has the odd tantrum every now again.

No idea at which length active cables become a requirement, but my own experiences would suggest than anything more than 5m is pushing one's luck.
A.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 13 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max cable length will also be affected by which port you use. On newish laptops some ports still only supply the standard 500mA yet others will supply more & hence allow either more devices or longer cables.

I think you can also get powered hubs that have a similar effect.

MarkS

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 13 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 4x 5m cables daisy chained without issues.

(webcam on the end of chimney brushes to assist in removing the brush stuck in the chimney )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive