Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Can't get my cork bung into my demi-john

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 13 5:22 pm    Post subject: Can't get my cork bung into my demi-john Reply with quote

So I've a few rubber bungs that I've always used, but I received some cork bungs along with airlocks recently.

Having trouble fitting them into the demi-johns, they just seem that bit too large. Anyone have any tips to get them in, or are they just too big?

Ta,

Foggy

Spider

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 13 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could try soaking them for a few hours in hot water to soften, thats what I used to do with bottle corks...hope it works

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 13 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soak and roll under a board using a foot and body weight

foggy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 13 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just soaking and use of a soft mallet worked a treat thanks!

Went

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 13 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use a bit of pig fat here, it helps form the seal.

1000seeds

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 13 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1980s I had a bottle of wine at work. The contents were drunk - and we decided to refill it and put the cork back in. It wouldn't fit. Someone said they had heard that if you place a piece of string into the liquid in the bottle (keeping hold of the other end of the string), then push the cork down, it will go into the neck of the bottle. You then pull the string out. It worked. None of us believed it would, but once we placed the piece of string into the bottle the cork went in.

Why refill it? Back in the 80s I worked at an airport in a warehouse. Our shift finished at 10pm, the next shift would come on. We were off for the weekend and knew if we left that bottle of wine in my locker, it would be nicked. So, we decided to drink it. We also decided to punish the next crew on who we knew would nick it. So, we filled it with pickled onion juice from a jar of pickles (one of my colleagues liked them and kept a jar at work) and water to make it look like white wine. We then re-corked it using the method above, resealed all the packaging and left it in my locker. Monday morning the bottle had disappeared, I said to one of them, "You nicked my bottle of wine didn't you?" He said yeah but it was off. So I told him what we had done. He hadn't sipped it, he had taken a large gulp. He wasn't impressed.

12Bore

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 13 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive