links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Posting Pictures of Wild Foods to Identify
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 12 3:57 pm    Post subject: help with identify please  Reply with quote    

I've found some mushrooms in my back garden but are nit sure if they are edible, can dine one please help me?

Went

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 12 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If in doubt - look at it then throw it out. Personally I would not trust any random opinion when it comes to wild mushrooms and fungi ID. No disrespect to those who know their stuff but I think you are much better learning from someone with local knowledge who has a well established and respected level of skill.

Welcome by the way....

Jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 12 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'd say clouded agarics. Some people eat them, Some, including me, don't.

bubble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 12 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

edtuckerartist wrote:
Hi As usual for a newcomer I'm not sure if I should post these here or not? Anyways I am trying to identify these mushrooms found in my garden. Took the pictures this morning and have not picked any for safety reasons and because it started pouring with rain lol.

Hope the pic is not too big.
these are toxic[poisonous] hebeloma sp.

bubble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 12 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

edtuckerartist wrote:
Thanks just been told (by a random Twitter user) they may be Cortinarius species and that a lot of those are poisonous.
I have dissected one here.

edit: link not working

edit: edited image link.

edit again: wow that pic is massive, I'll change it asap!

edit: picture changed to a smaller one.
do not eat them esp. at that stage of autodigestion/decomposition

bubble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 12 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Any help please? Reply with quote    

Abbie wrote:
Hi there. Can anyone help me id this mushroom? We have loads of them growing in our garden, and I'm sure they're edible, but hesitate to try them for obvious reasons! Pics included. Most of them are around 2" in height, with a good clean 'mushroom' smell.

[/img]
they most definately are not edible

Charjofilit

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 13 8:23 pm    Post subject: Mushroom ID please Reply with quote    

Click to see full size image

Charjofilit

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 13 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mushroom ID please Reply with quote    

Charjofilit wrote:

Click to see full size image

I found these in some shady woods just growing out of the bare ground. Smell strongly of mushroom, surprisingly!
I think they're St George's but not 100%.
Are there any poisonous mushrooms that look similar to St George's?

Jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 13 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hello there. Welcome to Downsizer. St Georges don't seem to grow round here, so I can't help with the id, but if you wait a day or two someone will be along to help I'm sure.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 13 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

While you're waiting do a spore print and take a photo of a section through one of the 'shrooms.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 17 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Found these in the Forest of Ae in Dumfriesshire..there are masses of them this year.
They seem to be on stalks like cherries, have vicious thorns like plums,but in crosssection look like apples!!

yummersetter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 17 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I reckon they're crab-apples

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 17 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

me too, they do look very crabby from most directions.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 17 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I posed this on a Wild plant i.d.group on fb..the consensus there is that they are true wild crab apples.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 17 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thorny Wild Crabapple Species

The European crabapple (Malus sylvestris), native to the Ireland and the United Kingdom, is dense and thorny, growing from 15 to 18 feet high. Most of the crabapple trees seen in the U.K. and Ireland are hybrids between wild crabapple trees and domestic trees. True wild European crabapple trees are rare. The American crabapple (M. coronaria), native to the Midwest and Eastern United States, known for its pink and white blossoms, is a dense snarl of thorny branches growing up to 25 feet tall.

Native Habitat and Thorny Growth

European and American crabapples often have multiple trunks, and their interiors are often dead from the lack of sun penetrating the thorny snarl of their crowns. The European crabapple is found in areas of native scrub in older woodlands. American crabapple trees like moist, well-drained soils and typically grow at the edges of woodlands and fields. Their tangle of crisscrossing, thorny branches make them useful for growing as hedgerows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive