Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 13 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my plants are still young but.....

Cherry plums and plums zilch/not much

Apples all flowering heavily

Quince flowering heavily

Medlar about to blossom

My one asian pear produced ridiculous amounts of blossom everything else pearwise, nothing.

soufle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thread. My apple trees were /are loaded with blossom but i've seen hardly any bees. Amazingly some seem to be setting so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Last year was a wash out fruit wise.
Golden gage, pears and other plums,no good at all. Lots of bird cherry here and they seem to have set a good amount of ruit.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are bees around. Another swarm fetched up in the old hive we have by the side of the house. The man we think they come from 'never has swarms', but we get his!

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherries - one tree is looking rather sick and almost no fruit - must see what I can do to revive it
The other is young but has some fruit
Bush fruit all looking pretty good although there is not masses of fruit on the larger Worcersterberry
The row of raspberries that have never fruited so I ignored with a view to digging out are flowering lie mad and there are loads of baby fruits developing on them

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
There are bees around. Another swarm fetched up in the old hive we have by the side of the house. The man we think they come from 'never has swarms', but we get his!

We had a swarm pass over a couple of days ago. But until then I'd only seen very few bees.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fan trained bramble has plenty of short spurs with buds,it looks better than last year which was leggy and over flowered.
the cherry trees round here have set lots of fruit this year

Woo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my fruit was planted last year so is a bit young but i have a few blueberries, some goozys, rasberries, red currents, strawbs are looking good even the old stock i planted into a stone wall to look pretty has fruit on it. does rhubard count? i grew it from seed last year and its fab!
the trees are still too young for much. i have a few2 bramleys, some golden delicious, maybe a couple of braburn. the few cherries are pinking up. i dont think there is much on the plum trees. and no peaches showing.
i wont be opening the fruit stall, but may get a bowl of bits.

yummersetter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masses of fruit set, I reckon 80% of the flowers on the trees in the new orchard. I think all the trees blossoming together over three weeks meant loads of pollination once the cold wet weather changed. I think I'm rather looking to the June drop, whenever that will be.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 13 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithril wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

We had a swarm pass over a couple of days ago. But until then I'd only seen very few bees.

Plenty of bees on my raspberries and I keep having to shoo some honey bees out of the front room

soufle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 13 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been really cold and raw in east norfolk, wind off the sea a lot this spring.There isnt much obvious insect activity.I have giant Echiums flowering, usually you can hear the hum of bees from a distance but this year we're talking two or three tiny black bumble bee types and one with an orange bum. I always think things are bad when you can count them
Still, I checked the apples again today and it looks like there has been a good set. One is covered, never seen so many. I bought it as Ashmeades Kernel, it isnt but its a really good variety whatever it is. Hopefully someone might be able to help with identifying it later in the season. ?
Woo...
Ive grown rhubarb from seed this year, two varieties.Ive kept 24 of each ,cant bear to chuck things once theyve germinated. How ,long was it before you were able to pick any ?

Mithril

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 13 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked my trees again today and I guess the bees have been busy whilst I wasn't looking - loads of fruit set on both the apple trees. I think the few blossoms on the young medlar have set too

But still no blossom on the young plum tree (Denniston's Superb)

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 13 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plums are like that - I find that young plants just grow leaves for three or four years, then there's a sprinkling of flowers which might give you half a dozen plums then the following year they're off and running.

However, I have a 15 year old Anna Spath plum which always flowers and has a good crop but it only had a handful of blossoms this year. I think the wood needs a good baking in autumn to have a lot of flower buds in the following spring

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 13 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of blossom on the trees round here. I hope the Bardsey apple managed to set fruit before the high wind blew the flowers off. I'm hopeful since it manages it on Bardsey. The plums we planted as part of a field boundary got caught in a grass fire in the hay meadow. I do hope they survive but I am not expecting any plums.

The blackcurrant look very good this year. I might have to consider a fruit cage.

robkb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 13 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of fruit set on the trees in my garden (apples, a pear and a cherry). I think they might benefit from being underplanted with comfrey, there are bees everywhere!

Woo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 13 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soufle wrote:

Woo...
Ive grown rhubarb from seed this year, two varieties.Ive kept 24 of each ,cant bear to chuck things once theyve germinated. How ,long was it before you were able to pick any ?

i have had a couple of cakes worth and there is plenty more. i was told to leave it be last year and harvest it once it established again this year. i seem to recall its victoria. by the look of things about 5 of the eight which made it through have taken again. we are not good at thinning out, if there is ever a drought again we may have to learn to be more ruthless!
i also have a root stock plant i bought in as i was too impatient to wait last year they are now difficult to tell apart so i am proud of my seedlings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive