Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Returning waste plastics etc?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad at all Rob. Local councils must make a packet.

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
That's not bad at all Rob. Local councils must make a packet.

No they just save money by not sending it to landfill. It still costs them to collect and process them.

I once weighed some tins and at £150/ton (or thereabouts as it fluctuates) they worked out about 1/4pence - 1/2pence each.
Hardly worth collecting, but that said I also throw my tins on my scrap pile rather than in council recycling bin.

baldybloke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my recycling bins out once in a blue moon. I just don't buy stuff with packaging. My local butcher sells meat in plastic bags or greaseproof paper and I buy what veg I buy loose. So there is a few tins that I crush after use, some glass bottles and jars that I recycle and cardboard that I compost.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:

I once weighed some tins and at £150/ton (or thereabouts as it fluctuates) they worked out about 1/4pence - 1/2pence each.
Hardly worth collecting, but that said I also throw my tins on my scrap pile rather than in council recycling bin.

It soon adds up over a year. I'm even saving all the nails, screws, bolts & brackets that I remove whilst working that are not reusable.

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
onemanband wrote:

It soon adds up over a year. I'm even saving all the nails, screws, bolts & brackets that I remove whilst working that are not reusable.

Yep just like a piggy bank - well half a dozen piggy banks - copper, brass etc
I have a swivelly 4inch dia magnet on a stick (an old magnetic vehicle inspection lamp base) . I made it to pick up the nails whilst I did my demolition, so I wouldn't get punctures. Is ace for removing nails from ashes - dunk in bucket of ash and remove nails by the kilo.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

I need to rake the bonfire pit before the next recycling run.

I've just taken a 35'x 12' static apart & the recycling value was £250 for all the old wires, ali roof & sides plus the steel sub frame.

Starting on all the old bits & bobs round the place now. Makes a good tidy up worth it when you get paid for all the junk.

paul1963

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 13 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Returning waste plastics etc? Reply with quote

VSS wrote:
I have got an idea in my head that legally, suppliers of products eg supermarkets have a responsibility to take back packaging for recycling.

Can anyone tell me is this is actually the case? Does it just apply to exterior packaging? Is it legally binding or voluntary? If it is legal, can someone point me in the direction of the appropriate bit if legislation?

Thanks.

You're confusing this with part of the Weee regs for electronics where technically you can return the items. Many stores advertise their willingness to comply (for example the 99p store) but in reality I'm not sure how many would actually be delighted to have electronics returned in that manner.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 13 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
onemanband wrote:

Plastics must also have a scrap value... but I am yet to find a place to take them to.

onemanband

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 13 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
RichardW wrote:
onemanband wrote:

Plastics must also have a scrap value... but I am yet to find a place to take them to.

My new scrap yard / waste transfer station will take mixed plastic - is slightly cheaper to dispose of than as mixed waste to landfill.
I guess you would need several ton of sorted plastic to get any financial reward - where you take it I don't know.

wizz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 13 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been looking around for places that take plastics (particularly milk bottle tops) for recycling as a way of raising cash for charity (I've been involved in setting up a local support group) but the only one i could find was in portsmouth (obviously a loooong way from York even if it were a feasible approach to raising charitable cash!)

https://www.ghsrecyclingltd.co.uk/

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 13 2:20 pm    Post subject: Scrap metal Reply with quote

I recycle all my metal, but wait till I get a trailer load; I have'nt been this year and may not even get a load till next year, just depends on how many nails I get out of the firewood I have, and how many times I decide to have a tin of beans instead of cooking properly! I had about £80 last year for various bits off the holding and domestic waste, better than giving it to the council tip, who will only squander it on more money for the chief executive's wages. Strange how the council tax goes up and the services, (road mending in particular), are reduced. Hands off the libraries and the baths! I go to the trouble of stripping all my waste domestic copper wire when I'm watching the TV half heartedly, soon adds up to real money in the pocket.

paul1963

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 13 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Returning waste plastics etc? Reply with quote

VSS wrote:
I have got an idea in my head that legally, suppliers of products eg supermarkets have a responsibility to take back packaging for recycling.

Can anyone tell me is this is actually the case? Does it just apply to exterior packaging? Is it legally binding or voluntary? If it is legal, can someone point me in the direction of the appropriate bit if legislation?

Thanks.

There's a bit buried in the WEEE regs on electricals that runs in a similar way. See my post above

Last edited by paul1963 on Tue Jul 16, 13 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

paul1963

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 13 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
Tesco's is encouraging people to leave it at the till.

The local recycling collections now take more types of plastic than they did before.

I'll bet they are, then perhaps they might qualify for a landfill tax refund?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 13 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizz wrote:
I had been looking around for places that take plastics (particularly milk bottle tops) for recycling as a way of raising cash for charity (I've been involved in setting up a local support group) but the only one i could find was in portsmouth (obviously a loooong way from York even if it were a feasible approach to raising charitable cash!)

I've found this place, but they have not been entirely helpful in telling me what they want, how they want it, or how much it is worth.

It is not far off my regular migration route, so we can fairly easily set up a DS pack mule run.

RTA: Just looked here for prices, and discovered that coloured PRT bottles is only worth a tenth of clear PET.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 13 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always recycled anything metal that I can and as I am hopefully going to move soon, (building bungalow I hope PP in prog), I will be embarking on a tidy up and a few bob with any luck.I would like to know how to separate the copper bits from the brass, not being a metal worker in any way. Can you sort of lump the nonferrous together and keep the steel and copper separate as far as possible? I have only sold co and fe in the past so not sure how it works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive