Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
trumping puppy!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 13 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all lovely dogs.
Sally i can see what you mean about the GSD. i think it's the markings around the face that make you think it.
like the others said puppies change so much i think its difficult to be sure. our dog Woody had a Labrador mum and we were told dad was labrador cross GSD but i can see none in him. he is more like a labrador x pointer type. he is taller than most labs but has the old english gate when he lies down and webbed feet. he runs like a whippet, flat out faster than any lab or gsd i have had.

as to the trumping. Woody is spoiled rotten and fed posh food, partly to make up for the hay bale filled barn/kennel we have for him to live in! partly storage.
i havent noticed any trumping, although he does smell of dog!
i think the dry food suits him. he has a lovely shiny coat, good teeth and loads of energy to chase the deer at any opportunity.
do you think the trumping is just more noticable when you are with him.trumping is a normal, important part of mammels digestive behaviour.even a queen trumps, if she didnt there would be a problem! perhaps they are just posh enough to have someone to take the fall for the bad smells or is that the corgi's role

Melli-Jane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 13 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again - sally your dog is beautiful, looks quite collie to me, that's a very forgiving look on his face in the first pic. my brothers dog is lab x GSD but he just looks like an oversize lab!
Scooby has webbed feet too, Woo - that is apparently a husky and GSD trait so he didnt get any option there!
he is still guffing and trumping - noticeable in confined spaces - car and caravan at the weekends, and when he lies down under my legs. He does eat his weight in goat poo when we walk round the fields, even on a a lead he is grabs the freshest, greenest stuff - yuk. I suspect that if we avoided certain fields the smell would diminish!

Woo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 13 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, he would find it anywhere. i had a retriever once who could find stinky mud at a considerable distance and roll in it before i got over the gate!
Woody went through a spell of eating all the dead mice the cats left lying around and any poo he could find.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 13 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the lovely comments about my Finn... he's a real pet - great temperament.

However - interesting comment about the webbed feet - he has skin between his toes like this... (I almost daren't ask if collies have this!)

Melli-Jane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 13 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the webbed feet is where there is skin between the toes - huskys, GSDs, lab retrievers, water spaniels and newfoundlands also have it, as far as I know collies don't - so you may well be right with the GSD mix in there somewhere!

oh - and a websearch reveals my boy to be a Gerberian Shepsky - what a gobful! (an amercian site mind you!)

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 13 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half Gerbil, half Siberian?

Pel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 13 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new pup too, 16 weeks old now English springer spaniel, she was doing right stinky winds when on pedigree pup pouches, so then made up rice, chicken, peas and carrots which she loved but still stunk the place out of an evening.
I had some mince go past use date, and fed her that and there was no stinking at all.. she is now on butchers and that seems to be going well down now.. I gradually change her meats.. she has Bakers puppy complete down all the time, with treats of Shapes, markies and raw bones from the butchers.
Only fed meat at lunch and evening meal, after we have eaten.
How many of you are using a crate with your pups/dogs?

I took Gem to puppy class last week, so she meets more dogs, other than peeing in the village hall her commands seem on par with the others. They are doing obedience, like getting the dog to watch you, as a command.. can anyone think of a good time when that is nessercary? I hope to take her to agility, so watching me isnt ideal as she would crash.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 13 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch me, with a hand signal is the start command to any other. When your dog is old, and can't hear, it will know to watch you before you give another signal.

Pel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 13 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont do hand signal with it though.
I say "Gem" (she looks up at me/or glances) and then "hand signal, [followed by the corresponding words] sit"
I do hand signals for all my own commands.. for that very reason.. PITA otherwise when they get old

I like doing wait with her, as she never stops looking at me, waiting for me to give the come/go to food command, or in Stay waiting for me to come back. She might do a quick sideways glance but thats it.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 13 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Lily has bitten poor old Ben's cheek, whilst they were play flighting. She has started whining if put in her cage which is REALLY annoying if Im trying to cook in the kitchen (I cant have her out whilst Im shifting pots of boiling water etc).
I know its a puppy thing, but its like having a flippin' toddler again!

Pel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 13 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a lot like toddlers it must be said!

Sally Too

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 13 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a bit of agility.... and I think it is important that a dog watch you to a certain extent - so they are aware of where you are going next and so on. Most seem able to do that as well as tackle the obstacles.

I'm hoping Finn will do a bit of agility in the future too.

Pel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 13 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though, other than a little between obstacles when running on the flat, they mainly keep an eye on where they are going, and listen to your commands "left" "stop" "right" "go on" "Aframe" "walk" etc. Its great to get to the stage where you basically just walk to the obstacles with contact points and say the commands from where ever in the arena

I guess too much watching to me, just means they loose concentration on the task in hand, plus i do find it creepy the dog constantly watching you.. its like get on with your own thought, and i'll [the owner] let you know when we are chaning course of thought/direction.

How is the dog doing with the trumping?

Melli-Jane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 13 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are on a list for dog classes, just waiting current 10 week programme to finish so we can start. scooby responds to sit down and no but has recently started snapping at me, seems to be when really excited but does seem to go for my face - it's play not aggression but needs to stop. he doesnt respond well when shouted at but does calm if you literally hold him down for 5 minutes or so and talk firmly but quietly to him. we are having issues with off lead work, sometimes excellent but then this morning shot off at full pelt and chased my goats for a few minutes before I managed to grab the scruff of his neck. He had been doing come to call for treats really well but I think that little switch in his head fired up....back to long lead and training.
Quote:
Half Gerbil, half Siberian?
I think so going by the chewing he does..
roll on dog classes...he is about 15 weeks now so ready to start.

mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 13 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the trumping

..I've got friends who blame the dog too!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive