links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
VERY OVERGROWN LAND
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 7:26 am    Post subject: VERY OVERGROWN LAND Reply with quote

We have a large piece of very overgrown land, about 30 years worth. Intermingled with everything are some trees that I would like to keep, but there is also a lot of bamboo (not cane). Any ideas would be helpful. If we weren't going to be away next winter I would buy a goat or a pig. Would seriously like to get it done asap...

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest trying to get a brushcutter (heavy duty strimmer with cutting head rather than string) in there to see what there is to start with. You can leave the trees undamaged, and once you have cut the top off the rest of it, you might find it is a lot less bad than you think. After that, perhaps a rotovator?

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I think a strimmer (not string type) is the way to go.... My first thought was lots of petrol and a match... but I'm still growing my hair back after the last time! The only problem with the mechanical route is the effort, not that I adverse to it, but wow, there is a lot of growth there. Please keep the ideas coming...

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caroline1 wrote:
My first thought was lots of petrol and a match...

Very bad idea. If you want to go that route, then a flamethrower is the way forward.
Where are you based? I do have one...

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's seriously fenced, short term pig loan might help.

woodsprite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if youre in the Azores and having to go away, i'll be your pigherd! ;0)

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the bamboo is you're referring to but assuming it's a creeping plant that grows from pieces of root/rhizome I would definitely not rotavate as you'll just chop up the roots into thousands of new cuttings.

Digging it out is going to be the only way unless you resort to lots of weed killer use. I had a large overgrown end of a garden with nettles, brambles and other deep rooted weeds. Digging them out with as much roots as possible was very successful, if hard work, but then I only needed to do it once.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandas?

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all of that, so all I need now is a Panda who can operate a flame thrower.... has anyone got one? Yupthe land is in the Azores, but you would have to bring a tent as we don't have a house on it yet and are still living on our boat..... Please keep the ideas coming...

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caroline1 wrote:
Wow, thanks for all of that, so all I need now is a Panda who can operate a flame thrower.... has anyone got one? Yupthe land is in the Azores, but you would have to bring a tent as we don't have a house on it yet and are still living on our boat..... Please keep the ideas coming...

The panda/flame thrower combo on a boat sounds hazardous, & fraught with potential difficulties

get pigs..they have terrific "sea-legs" & look quite dashing in a life jacket

Finsky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get friendly with one of the neighbours who would like to make use of some free foraging ground for their pigs.
Make 'contract' for a certain time scale and the pigs will eat their way through the undergrowth and fertilize the land same time
Before they set their feet to the area...slash/hack down all the unwanted growth leaving those that you want to keep upright.

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, we're just being silly, of course I wouldn't let the panda play with the flame thrower on the boat... As for pigs and lifejackets, um, let me see, I'm sure that I have a spare one just the right size...

vegplot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more serious note, thank you for all your ideas, do please keep them coming. The land is not fenced, but I could put in an electric fence. My current thought (panda aside) is a pig, then asking a neighbour to look after it whilst away..... the great thing about pigs, unlike mechanical clearers is that I can eat it at the end...

Finsky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 14 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:

...picture worth of more than thousand words...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive