Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New airgun storage legislation
Page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
 Message
vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 11 10:14 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Penny Outskirts wrote:
Best move it from the office floor then


Slap.

JB



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 7745
Location: 91° N
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 11 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Penny Outskirts wrote:
Best move it from the office floor then


You must have interesting business meetings if you feel a need to be armed!

Penny Outskirts



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 23385
Location: Planet, not on the....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 11 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

JB wrote:
Penny Outskirts wrote:
Best move it from the office floor then


You must have interesting business meetings if you feel a need to be armed!


Gets right nasty it does.

Bernie66



Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 13967
Location: Eastoft
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 11 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That one is common sense but the movement to class all air guns as FAC is over the top.

Jamanda
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 34890
Location: Devon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 11 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If it's common sense why legislate? I would hazard that more people are injured by knives than airguns, but we don't have to lock them away.

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 11 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jamanda wrote:
If it's common sense why legislate? I would hazard that more people are injured by knives than airguns, but we don't have to lock them away.


Because of the vast numbers of people who lack said common sense. It's a lot easier for a child accidentally to injure or kill someone with an airgun than a knife.

matt_hooks



Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 312
Location: Lambourn(ish) Berkshire
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 11 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

And it only applies, at least in theory, if you regularly have children around.

I'm lucky and have an FAC safe that my airguns go in, with the pellets in the ammunition safe, so the cost to me is nil, but to some it will mean having to get rid of their guns as they can't afford the security.

Of course, a bike lock and an eye bolt in the wall should be enough to comply, but the way it's been reported lots of people think they will need a safe.

NorthernMonkeyGirl



Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 4287
Location: Peeping over your shoulder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 11 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

matt_hooks wrote:
And it only applies, at least in theory, if you regularly have children around.


I was just about to ask this :/ Is being behind the locked door of my home a sufficient safety feature?

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 11 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
matt_hooks wrote:
And it only applies, at least in theory, if you regularly have children around.


I was just about to ask this :/ Is being behind the locked door of my home a sufficient safety feature?


I would have thought so, just ensure the key isn't accessible to minors. It might be worth having a chat with your local police.

Shane



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 3043
Location: Doha. Is hot.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Has anybody else noticed the irony of Brownbear's last avatar?

/hijack

RichardW



Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 8414
Location: Llyn Peninsular North Wales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Shane wrote:
Has anybody else noticed the irony of Brownbear's last avatar?

/hijack


Well he dint leave did he?

gz



Joined: 23 Jan 2009
Posts: 5875
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

So to return to the subject of the thread, does my Man need a gun cabinet in his caravan, as caravans aren't the most secure of places, even when locked?

Our local groupf of yobs are mostly under 18, despite being regularly inebriated...

JB



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 7745
Location: 91° N
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 11 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

AIUI - no. It only calls for reasonable precautions to prevent access. That could be acheived by a chain through the trigger guard and wrapped around almost anything or even a simple trigger lock so that it can't be used even if taken. No need for cabinets etc.

Personally I'm just going to put an eyebolt through some wood work and chain the gun to that it'll cost only a few pounds, I'm not worried yet as my little lad is only two so there's no practical way he could remove, cock, load and fire it and anyone else would have to break into the house first to get that. Is it absolutely secure? no, is it reasonably secure? yes.

nellydouglas



Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 11 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I am not surprised in the least about this legislation. Common sense has completely been removed from the average man and examples of a bag of peanuts carrying the warning "contains nuts" is just complete stupidity and a mockery of what society has become.

Respect and understanding is what is needed.

My Dad had air rifles and pistols lying around the house all the time when I was a kid. I knew what they were and how to use them in a responsible manner. Education and respect of equipment used for hunting and not protection in the hood!

Sorry for the little rant and I hope it doesn't offend too many. Just get very annoyed at the restrictions that are placed on everyone else who has two or more brain cells to rub together.

chrisanson



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 14 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

nellydouglas wrote:
I am not surprised in the least about this legislation. Common sense has completely been removed from the average man and examples of a bag of peanuts carrying the warning "contains nuts" is just complete stupidity and a mockery of what society has become.

Respect and understanding is what is needed.

My Dad had air rifles and pistols lying around the house all the time when I was a kid. I knew what they were and how to use them in a responsible manner. Education and respect of equipment used for hunting and not protection in the hood!

Sorry for the little rant and I hope it doesn't offend too many. Just get very annoyed at the restrictions that are placed on everyone else who has two or more brain cells to rub together.


i completely agree, and the more responsibility that taken away in this manner the more it will happen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->