links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Knitting Machines

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 10:50 pm    Post subject: Knitting Machines Reply with quote

Inspired by HWH's knitting machine pictures I started looking on ebay. Are the machines all different, of pretty much of a muchness.

What should I look for if I wanted to try it.

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison,

Try looking at a Bond machine. Cheap and cheerfull and the machine I learned on. Tonight in Ebay, here's what's on offer:

https://search.ebay.co.uk/bond-knitting-machine_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQcatrefZC6QQsoloctogZ9QQsotrtypeZ1QQsotrvalueZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

HWH

culpepper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got 3.They are all different.
One is ancient and works by using combs to make the stitches.It works with dk quite well but is very limited as the tension is not very controllable.
One is a Passap my MIL gave me.It works with fine wool and cant handle anything thicker than DK.
The last one is called the ISM (incredible sweater machine) and takes quite thick wool,anything from DK upwards.
Ive knitted socks on the last 2 .It takes some getting used to on the passap (mind of its own)but on the ISM it is easy peasy as that is a much simpler machine so when something decides to go wrong you havent lost all your work.
I prefer to knit them by hand though. The machines are noisy so not usable if watching tv and take up room while in use.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i shall watch this topic with interest. I've an old Bond I brought at a sale years ago. I've hardly used it so any tips once Alison has got one will be of great interest.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. What do all the combers and cards do.

culpepper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine the floppy comb things are for casting on,the multiple needle tools are so you can pick up stitches for moving more easily.
I dont have any cards on mine as they are not that sophisticated but the only cards I know of are to make knitting elaborate patterns easier(you dont really need them).

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they usually come complete, or do you have to buy lots of bits and pieces as well.

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually come complete, but as you become more experienced you say to yourself, "I wish a had a little thing that helped me to ...."

You ask around and lo and behold one of your friends has one and never uses it!

At least that's my experience.

HWH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive