Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What to grow?

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 14 9:14 am    Post subject: What to grow? Reply with quote

I've not been around for a long time over winter, but with Speing well and truly here I thought I'd pop my head back in for a carch up and hopefully a bit of advice.

I have a very shady, small garden but I really want to grow some vegetables of my own. These would probably have to be in pots so they could sit near the house to get some sun. They couldn't be huge pots either. I already have lots of herbs (though sadly it seems my apple mint is not going to come back) so which veggies are best for growing in lots that I can plant now? Advice would be much appreciated!

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 14 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinach, Lettuce and Rocket are quite happy in partial shade as well as Swiss Chard. Pak Choi, Mizuma and the like too.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 14 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhubarb can be grown in the shade, in a large pot.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 14 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General rule of thumb is leafy things can cope with less sun, but anything that produces a big fruit (tomato, squash, etc) needs more sun.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green plants will also do best with limited sun as the coloured varieties have less chlorophyll. You could try things like tomatoes, beans, peas, courgettes in big pots.

marigold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runner beans might do OK if they can climb up enough to catch a reasonable amount of sun. I used to grow them successfully in a big pot on a NE facing semi-basement patio.

Kariana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I've got myself a courgette and a tomato plant to grow in pots on the sunny part of the patio. Also to my joy I've discovered that since the neighbours cut down a tree over the winter half the bed on one side of my garden (which doesn't amount to much, it's very small!) is now bathed in sunlight for most of the day. I've put a few lettuces in there along with some extras in a pot. I'm going to give some further thought to what else might go in. I'm going for planting amongst the flowers rather than having set vegetable patches due to lack of space so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! You may even find that hiding your veg amongst the flowers will confuse pests and things. And you should certainly have plenty of pollinators! I'm guessing you'll want to avoid root crops in that case?

chickenlady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow chard will look absolutely stunning in amongst your flowers.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenlady wrote:
Later sowings, say end April, will be biennial. They are winter hardy. Just this very minute cut a plant for Sunday dinner. The stalks have been blanched and are in a garlicky, cheesy bechamel sauce, the leaves chopped to be cooked like spinach. Two (pretty) veggies in the space of one!

Kariana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it will confuse them, although some of the leaves of my flowers are looking a little worse for wear already. Something's been having a good old munch!

chickenlady wrote:

A very good thought! The recipe above sounds amazing as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive