About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Clean Loading
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton have had issues with software firewalls, their support is sadly lacking, their update files are large compared to other companies (means it's a longer download) and they write blanket virus definetions which give false postives. Some of the issues were raised on RC by people other than me

I'd go for AVG and pay for it (you get a better service) or Kaspersky (the Open Uni use it). If you can find four other people that need a virus checker (or you have five PCs that need covering) I'd go for Sophos.

I'm going to add fuller reviews to my site later.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

It is all food for thought, Minefield, isn't it.

mrutty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that I do this for a living with major companies so support and update time for me are very important. If you're just going to fit and forget then McAffee's would do.

Buy it on price if you just want something.

Just trialing Kaspersky at the moment on the kids PC and very pleased. Only issue is that update check is minimum of 1 hour. I check every 30 mins

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you do, that is why I am asking lots of questions.

If I wanted a virus checker, which I just left on, ond programmed in updates, would AVG, Macaffee or Norton do the best, for least amount of work.

I am not sure AVG hasn't let something through here, and I am a bit warey about them at the moment.

Also, what other things, like ad aware should I have.

Thinking about ad aware, pest patrol and spybot.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:

I am not sure AVG hasn't let something through here, and I am a bit warey about them at the moment.

Would this be the same AVG that you recommended to me recently, Alison? Mine seems to be working OK so far. What makes you think it isn't working as it should?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:

If you are keeping up with MS security updates? My question would be, what have you opened recently that could have had a virus?

jema

mrutty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS patch the box. There's loads of crap about SP2 screwing things up, but for most SP2 is fine. The hotfixes are higher risk (one in 2003 was issued four times!! ), but the time from hotfix being released until a new virus that exploits the weakness is now down to less than a month.

Next Firewall - software and hardware if you can. The XP firewall is fine and I use it on all the PCs here as I have a firewall router. Zonelabs is better IMHO than XP and I'd use Zonelabs if I didn't have a router (I've set both my mother and MIL up with it). The free version is good the pro version is better.

AV - AVG the free version is always going to be risky as they don't release the updates for a few days or weeks. I'd recommend anyone with ADSL to set update to at least once an hour.

I'll try and knock up some virus reviews tonight, but I need to get the Masterclass for RC out first. For now here's what amazon have, Panda looks a good price as does McAffee (which comes with Adware clearers)[/url]

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:
alison wrote:

Would this be the same AVG that you recommended to me recently, Alison? Mine seems to be working OK so far. What makes you think it isn't working as it should?

Yes it is

I find it really user friendly, but ....

To be quite honest I am getting so much advise ihave got myself utterly confused.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:

To be quite honest I am getting so much advise ihave got myself utterly confused.

I knew that would happen You can't take an area where the "professionals" scrap it out with opposing views and hope to come out of it with a clear idea.

jema

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mark, that will be good.

If i started again from scratch ( another option)
whereI have AVG professional, sone alarm etc, how do I set up another download. Do they do it by e mail address, or how do they know I have paid. have I got to find the various e mails to confirm things.

mrutty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
alison wrote:

I knew that would happen You can't take an area where the "professionals" scrap it out with opposing views and hope to come out of it with a clear idea.

jema

Totally agree. Also the pros are looking at different issues, support for me is a 24x7 callout service with progress reports. I'm expecting to know the engineers on the other end of the line. A home user doesn't have that sort of power and to be honest in most cases doesn't need that level of service.

mrutty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Thanks mark, that will be good.

If i started again from scratch ( another option)
whereI have AVG professional, sone alarm etc, how do I set up another download. Do they do it by e mail address, or how do they know I have paid. have I got to find the various e mails to confirm things.

ZoneAlarm Pro tells you when you open it up and you get a key for it. The key used to be displayed in the Help>About Zonelabs section. If you get stuck a mate of mine works there.

AV companies point you to an update server and you put in a username and password into the appication and tell it how often to go and pick up the updates. I don't know where they keep any keys or stuff like that.

Why are you going to start again??? Is there an issue you're having as it might not be virus related. It was very rare for people to see a real live virus, you might see a worm (this may fly over peoples heads, sorry) or a line hijack or similar. AVG will catchup and I can even test it for you if you wish.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrutty wrote:
jema wrote:
alison wrote:

jema

Totally agree. Also the pros are looking at different issues, support for me is a 24x7 callout service with progress reports. I'm expecting to know the engineers on the other end of the line. A home user doesn't have that sort of power and to be honest in most cases doesn't need that level of service.

i have a profeesional YOU

Troubleis , i don't always know what you are tlaking about

mrutty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
i don't always know what you are tlaking about

Nor do I

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive