Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What's your view on this?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 14 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to mention, ground nesting birds that aren't grouse:

Lapwing numbers in decline: https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/lapwing/decline_and_conservation.aspx

Curlew numbers in decline: https://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/projects/details.aspx?id=263911

The moor that we border with here, is a breeding ground for both these species. Every year chicks are killed by dogs and its very disheartening to see. I also often see dogs bothering nests (I'm embarrassed to say, on the last occasion I was cycling past and did nothing, the owners were running over to retrieve their pet), despite the large amount of signs asking for those to be kept on leads.

Every year here, a lamb or two is found, damaged and has to be put out of its misery if it is still alive.

Dogs are great and keeping dogs on leads at key points of the year is a small price to pay for access and to protect wildlife. I just hope the minority of dog owners don't eventually ruin things for the majority of dog walkers.

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems to be that the minority always shout the loudest to get what they want.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 14 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truffle wrote:
I just hope the minority of dog owners don't eventually ruin things for the majority of dog walkers.

If my experience of dog walking on the local common is anything to go by it is a minority of dog walkers that obey the rules.

Castle Farm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11261392.Dog_attack_hero__Carpenter_saves_life_of_badly_savaged_woman/?ref=mr

Every dog should be licensed.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would a licence do?

Those of us who do right by dogs and people would be stung again, and those who don't give a damn would carry on not giving a damn and not get one. Same as the "licensed breeder" scheme.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could licence the person not the dog, similar to a shot-gun licence. So, a person would be vetted before they could own a dog and then could own several on one licence. Costs would be expensive (£200+ at a guess) if you do meaningful checks, you'd need meaningful penalties and although you'd stop some attacks you'd still have a criminal section of society who'd ignore them.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who decides what standards?

Sorry if I come across prickly here, but due to various changes in circumstance there is no way I'd be "allowed" a dog from a rescue (or probably a licence scheme) and yet sometimes she is the reason I get up in the morning. I am not the only one in that position either.

Unlike guns, dogs are self-replicating and can be picked up in the back of any newspaper (or car boot sale, sadly).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying such a system should be brought in but making a suggestion for what would seem to be the most logical system. Something like a £10 annual fee would cost more to administer than it made so I can't see the point of that.

It's very easy to get hold of a shotgun and the licence caters for this, one could easily argue that dogs are too easy to get hold of?

Castle Farm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thousands of responsible dog owners out there and just as many who are not.

I cannot see any reason to keep breeds that are 'dangerous' ie Bull breeds and crosses.

Any dog owner who allows the animal they own to attack/injure or kill anything should have their licence revoked and if caught without a licence,(similar to a gun licence) they should be fined heavily.

Some owner seem to think they have a right to wander over other peoples property and allow their dog to do what it likes.

madcat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Castle Farm. There's no good reason to breed or keep some of these dangerous breeds.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is such a thing as a dangerous breed, or rather there's no safe breed. I have a Lab, she's lovely, but I'm well aware many have been involved in attacks and even deaths. You could ban a few breeds and I expect that would reduce the total number of attacks but stopping the wrong people owning any dog would stop far more. For example, is a well trained female pit bull more dangerous than a badly trained entire male German Shepherd?

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I don't think there is such a thing as a dangerous breed, or rather there's no safe breed. I have a Lab, she's lovely, but I'm well aware many have been involved in attacks and even deaths. You could ban a few breeds and I expect that would reduce the total number of attacks but stopping the wrong people owning any dog would stop far more. For example, is a well trained female pit bull more dangerous than a badly trained entire male German Shepherd?

Seconded.

Castle Farm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a discussion with a guy that has Bull terriers. He told me that he wouldn't trust any of them as far as he could throw them. He has had this breed for years and knows what they are capable of.

His tip if one did get a grip and wouldn't let go.

Stick your finger up the dogs anus....But don't be there when it turns around to see what's happening.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Farm wrote:
https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11261392.Dog_attack_hero__Carpenter_saves_life_of_badly_savaged_woman/?ref=mr

Every dog should be licensed.

These dogs were bred and trained for fighting, and the house was full of drugs, growing and for sale.
I reckon they might have kept dogs, even if a licence was required, and not worried about breaking the law. A bit of paper wouldn't help.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 14 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer the idea of educating folk how nice dogs are when trained a bit and controlled within that training

as to firearms or dogs a few quid would provide one regardless of licences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive