Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Help! Red Hen

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:06 pm    Post subject: Help! Red Hen Reply with quote

Sounds daft I know, but one of our hens is red, under the feathers tho. She isn't bullied, doesn't seem broody, and isn't feather pecking as far as we can tell. No sign of mites either but she has a bald patch between the legs, almost back to the vent, which is bright red, dry but not scaly. Has anyone come across anything similar, she is a three year old Warren and still laying. This doesn't seem to worry the hen, but it sure as heck makes me wonder!

Tristan

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything to do with a late moult? Ours (4 yr olds) have taken months to mould this year and only in the last week or so have stopped. Does she sleep on the perch or nest box?

Last edited by Treacodactyl on Sun Jan 09, 05 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tristan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all sleep on the 'shelf' above the nest boxes (converted 6x4 shed, so much cheaper than anything that includes poultry in the name!). Come to think of it, quite a few feathers in her spot lately.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick her up and see if there are any new quills. I've notices a few plants growing later and starting earlier this year so it's not surprising hens moulting late.

Tristan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will check tomorrow, Thanks, could be she's just a bit late, that would be typical of our lot. Are yours still laying at 4 yrs?

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by laying...when they feel like it, in a brief window between moulting in autumn-winter and going broody most of the summer. When they are laying though it's good - tend to be 2-3 days laying, one rest day, though I think they were a bit less productive last year. The theory is that pure breeds should keep laying, if not brilliantly, for a few years. If we had the space/time/nice neighbours the ideal thing would be to add a few each year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive