Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Goat advice needed

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 14 9:11 am    Post subject: Goat advice needed Reply with quote

Our two day old single kid appears to be only feeding from one nipple and therefore the other side is enlarged and a bit pink. She is a first time Mum so her nipples are small and not easy to get hold of for me. Kid is thriving but all the books and internet advice says milk out the unused side twice a day or she will get mastitis. The problem with this is that I am on my own the goat has never been milked and I don't yet have a milking area or crush where she can be trapped and my attempt last night was a disaster.

I tried securing her to a manger and getting her against a wall but she got distressed and jumped around or laid down with the kid getting distressed and underfoot. Some milk came out and it didn't feel too hard or hot. I am on my own here.

The internet is full of horror stories of blown nipples etc. Do people think it is essential to milk the unused side? I will have to separate the kid to prevent it being hurt whilst I try and it is not the best experience for Mum as I will have to wrestle her into submission and I am not sure if I will be able to milk her out if she is fighting me.

My daughter is due here in a weeks time which will be another pair of hands and will make everything easier? We were going to build a milking platform together for when the kids (more due) were a couple of months old. Ideas?

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 14 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tie her between hurdles or in a corner and distract her with food.
Worth trying and may be only necessary once if you can ease it enough, things usually settle down quite quickly, supply and demand so you don't want to take too much anyway, enough to soften her udder.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 14 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep trying. You will probably have a few days where it seems more trouble than it's worth then all of a sudden they 'get' it and calm down. Tie her up with a bucket of feed. Push firmly into just in front of the hind leg with your shoulder so she finds it harder to kick, preferably with her up against a solid wall, or gate.

After a few days of not having the demand they will reduce the amount of milk produced and the teat will be less 'tender', after which the kid's appetite will be growing and it'll start feeding from both when it sucks the first one dry.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 14 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails you can hobble her hind legs as well as tying her on a short head.
A lot of your nervousness is being picked up by the goat.
Try to be strong firm & gentle. Keep your voice low in tone & volume to reassure, & as Rob says keep body contact against her flank & back leg. Don't just grab for her teat!!
(Only on Downsizer could you say something like that).

Piggyphile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 14 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions. A friend came over and held her for me so I have managed a decent milking on the over full side. I shall keep an eye on her and talk friends into assisting until my daughter gets here.

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 14 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.
Somethings are just easier with two until you and the goat get used to it, hopefully if it needs doing again she won't be so touchy. She was probably quite uncomfortable if her udder was very full.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive