Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
new additions

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 8:48 pm    Post subject: new additions Reply with quote

just gotback into pig keeping and bought 7 G.O.S I know it sounds callous but one persons failure is my gain especailly as two of the males are 22 wks old, another fortnight and its to the slaughter house for them

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will you do with the meat from the pigs, then? One man's loss is another man's gain, but I would like to know. Will you keep it for personal consumption?

DarrenG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will keep approx 1/2 a pig the rest sorted at £3.25lb it has been free-range reared and the rest definately will be.Bought all seven pigs One sow one in pig sow 3 weaners and two ready for the pot for the little sum of £200 was asked £475 I love people who move to the country...........ooooooppps probably shouldnt have said that lol

nettie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Darren, lucky you! Judging by the farmer's market I went to today, you would be the most popular man in your neck of the woods if you sold them that way!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price Darren, for the pigs and the meat.

Nettie, that would be a good price for 1/2 a pig, it is only when it is split into joints and cuts it gets expensive.

DarrenG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have just given them an extra 4 acres and filled a cattle feed trough with a mixture of broccolli, sprouts and caulie they have also had their first experience of electric fencing, I think the lessons have been learnt, no pushing their way through inadequate fencing anymore, they do appear to be really happy, and people are allready stopping to look at them.Kate was putting the eggs out earlier and someone has asked her if they can put their name down for some pork.
Here is a couple of ideas of mine how to be successfull firstly we have people come to us for eggs etc when they have to pass someone else selling eggs to do it, so why do I think we sell more?Because our place is kept extremely tidy, its not ramshackle all the fencing is kept pristine all the animals look happy, all the hedging is kept trimmed grassed areas mowed, paddocks topped, a tidy place allways looks happier I believe for your stock and if people want to look at or touch the animals they can, because we are never embarressed by whats around the corner out of site.
secondly the best place to keep the place feather free especially after the geese have gone for a wander is a plain old garden vac, feathers I believe make the place look really messy.
Oh yeah chicken manure pellets in Wilcos £2.99 a kg
sack full of poultry manure from me £3.50 and by god does it sell

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren I would concur with you about tidyness. We have found that although people want to stay on a farm they don't want hazzard, such as rust old barbed wire cutting them.

We are gradually sorting out the fencing, but otherwise I think we have the same philosophy as you on this one.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenG wrote:
Oh yeah chicken manure pellets in Wilcos £2.99 a kg sack full of poultry manure from me £3.50 and by god does it sell

Manure pellets tend to be much stronger though. One of the reasons for getting mine was for their manure. I change their bedding very often as our ground needs the bulky matter just as much as the nitrogen. Straight on the compost heap. I wouldn't ever use poultry manure from elsewhere when I have my own, just in case.

DarrenG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know it was stronger, it was a bit weird how it happened, got asked one day, then over the next month or so 2 or 3 more people asked and it just went from there

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the pelleted manure was basically treated droppings. The bags of chicken manure I got before I ever had chickens was a mix of droppings and deep litter. It was still very strong but it got my compost heap working a treat.

Is yours well rotted or fresh?

DarrenG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive