Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Need help identifying these mushrooms

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 14 2:28 am    Post subject: Need help identifying these mushrooms Reply with quote

I found this in my backyard growing near a Coconut tree. The smell is similar to button mushroom. It didn't change color when cut or bruised. What mushroom is this and is it edible?

This was found in a forest. Is this edible too?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mandus478 on Sun Jul 20, 14 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 14 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea ,if you can find a shroom guide for your local area using the basic look of them and a spore print is usually fairly accurate but unless you have a definite id dont eat any shrooms

as you said coconut tree i assume you are not uk based and i only know some of the uk shrooms

one problem folk have had is what look like a safe shroom can be a very different one it it was growing in a different country,a few chinese shroomers have got it very badly wrong cos one of our toxic ones looks very like one of their yummy ones

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 14 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpack is right, steer clear and stay safe. I am no expert but that bottom one even looks like it might be a Destroying Angel about to unfurl.

Mandus478

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 14 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
no idea ,if you can find a shroom guide for your local area using the basic look of them and a spore print is usually fairly accurate but unless you have a definite id dont eat any shrooms

as you said coconut tree i assume you are not uk based and i only know some of the uk shrooms

one problem folk have had is what look like a safe shroom can be a very different one it it was growing in a different country,a few chinese shroomers have got it very badly wrong cos one of our toxic ones looks very like one of their yummy ones
I'm from the Philippines. Their is no shroom guide here unfortunately. I'm actually making a spore print using an aluminum foil with one of the caps of the mushroom.

Northern Boy wrote:
Dpack is right, steer clear and stay safe. I am no expert but that bottom one even looks like it might be a Destroying Angel about to unfurl.
Oh yeah it does look like a destroying angel. It also looks like a button mushroom though.

Thanks for the advice guys.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 14 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google chi 1

ggogle chi two

always be careful with online and book id advice but there seems plenty of stuff to read about your local shrooms

trying to find a local expert who eats shrooms is always a good way to start shrooming and if you are out looking for one you will probably find one

Last edited by dpack on Mon Jul 21, 14 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 14 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps hello and nice you asked rather than ate a moody shroom,we are friendly if you want to say hello the welcome section of ds is always open .

Mandus478

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 14 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
ps hello and nice you asked rather than ate a moody shroom,we are friendly if you want to say hello the welcome section of ds is always open .
I was already aware that there are poisonous wild mushrooms. Its common knowledge here to be careful of mushrooms. I was just curious about these mushrooms.

dpack wrote:
google chi 1

ggogle chi two

always be careful with online and book id advice but there seems plenty of stuff to read about your local shrooms

trying to find a local expert who eats shrooms is always a good way to start shrooming and if you are out looking for one you will probably find one
Thanks for the links. I live in the city so finding a mushroom expert here would be impossible. People here buy food rather than forage.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 14 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was living in london when i got my first "old and wise"lessons in shrooming from the ladies of the ww2 polish community
oddly enough most urban or rural folk have a fear of shrooms in the uk unless it is plastic wrapped
caution is good as even experts can make mistakes but if you start by learning the deadly ones to avoid it gets easier as you practice foraging .

ive not foraged jungle but from what i have read there are many tasty treats to be found

Bungo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 14 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destroying Angels gills are almost white , I would be cautious of button mushrooms ,where you cant get a good look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive