Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Re-using plastics.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 14 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different types of plastic need different glue so I have found it a matter of experimenting on the odd occasions when I have wanted to glue plastic. Strongest bond is probably melting both parts though as said you need to be sure there won't be toxic fumes given off.

Pete

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 14 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodrighy wrote:
Different types of plastic need different glue so I have found it a matter of experimenting on the odd occasions when I have wanted to glue plastic. Strongest bond is probably melting both parts though as said you need to be sure there won't be toxic fumes given off.

Pop bottles are a fairly consistent type of plastic (is it PET?), and I don't think they can be welded as, when heated they shrink faster than they melt.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 14 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used a hot glue gun on pet but it isnt very strong.sanding a rough patch before sticking helps a bit.

john

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 14 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-9-2014. Hi ALL, I hope you don't mind me saying, to see how I reuse lots of Waste Plastic Containers to grow things in please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com or my FB group 3R's Waste Plastic Container Gardening ideas, I'm just trying to spread the word to help to reduce millions of tonnes of waste plastic containers going to landfill and help to feed millions of people at the same time, done in my own way, from me John.JRP.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 14 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. Glad to see you're still at it.

john

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 14 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Hi John. Glad to see you're still at it.
7-9-2014. Hi Jamanda, thank you, I'm just trying to do my bit

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 14 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john wrote:
7-9-2014. Hi ALL, I hope you don't mind me saying, to see how I reuse lots of Waste Plastic Containers to grow things in please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com or my FB group 3R's Waste Plastic Container Gardening ideas...

I have, and was reasonably impressed, but I didn't spot anything to help answer the question currently on the table: how to stick pop bottles...

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 14 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hot glue gun/sand the bits to be stuck thing is the best i found when doing quite big arty stuff with them

maybe just taping/tieing them etc would work , stuffing them into a frame can be a useful method.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 14 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
the hot glue gun/sand the bits to be stuck thing is the best i found when doing quite big arty stuff with them...

Yes, I'll try that just as soon as I find my glue gun.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 14 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a tractor dealer and we use stickers to attach cable ties to the sides of machines. The point being that the adhesive side must be good to stand up to the rigors of the farmers using these machines. Basically it is a sticky pad, on the front which is the holder for the cable tie. I will ask the question of the dealer who supplies the pads if he can find out exactly where the adhesive pad comes from-he can only say no at the worst!

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 14 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I did some experimenting with deep fried milk bottle.

I think I read somewhere that if you heat HDPE in oil, then it is a lot easier to avoid burning it.

The experiments were not entirely successful, but they were a long way from failures.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 14 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:

I think I read somewhere that if you heat HDPE in oil, then it is a lot easier to avoid burning it.

The experiments were not entirely successful, but they were a long way from failures.

wow
that is very ..im not sure of the word ...

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 14 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are heating HDPE to reform it, temperature control is the important thing. Hot oil will do the trick, but you need to know the softening and melting points of the plastic and go just above that. it depends on what you want to do. If you are wanting to make it into a molten blob then remould it, you will need a higher temperature (melting point, which may be a range of temperatures) than if you are just trying to reshape over a mould from the sheet (softening point), or in this case, bottle side.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 14 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:

wow
that is very ..im not sure of the word ...

Thank you.
Top tip: use a good clean frying oil. All I'd got was 2nd hand chip fat and best quality cold pressed rapeseed. Neither was ideal.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 14 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
If you are heating HDPE to reform it, temperature control is the important thing. Hot oil will do the trick, but you need to know the softening and melting points of the plastic and go just above that...

Nah you don't: just heat it up 'till it goes soft.
Though I imagine it would help, and I do have some digital temperature control equipment I could use...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive