Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Car insurance again.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 14 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just been through this with our eldest.

We kept the car insured in our name but then bought an add on policy that does not affect our insurance at all to cover the learner bit. Financially you need to do at least 2 hours per week to save enough on the paid for lessons to cover the extra insurance. If you are having to pay to insure it in `your name first then it would cost more than two lessons worth.

One thing you might like to think about is insuring his car as a learners car with you as the instructor (you dont need quals if you are not being paid for it). then as long as you are the one in the car with him he is good to go.

I have just done this on a micra & it cost £320 for a year.
(I guess thats my secrete out of the bag, I am re training as an instructor)

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 14 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be mainly me Richard, and I can see us doing more than that a week, if I work out all his little journeys.

Good luck on the training. Nerves of Steel!

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 14 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After he has passed, get him to do the "Pass Plus" course. Some insurance companies will reduce premiums once passed, I think only on his insurance, and you have a time limit in which he will have to take out his insurance.

It may be cheaper to get him on your policy, but whenever he gets his own, that will count as nothing towards his no claims bonus.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 14 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass Plus has virtually died due to the insurance companies that give a discount being the ones with the biggest starting premium. Well that and parents that still think that 10 hours instruction is enough cos thats all they had. The recommended amount is nearer 40 paid for lessons & at least that again extra as private instruction. Obviously some do pass after much less.

Its still worth doing the PP but dont expect an insurance discount.

I think in Wales you can still get the welsh version for about £25 so well worth it for extra training.

If you go for the instructor policy you will need to get the quote via Adrian Flux ( 0800 369 8590 / 01553 845813) as all the others require you to have passed one of the 3 instructor tests before getting insurance.

AnneL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 14 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only put insurance in place after he'd had quite a few lesson to give him extra experience driving.

Once we were both 'happy' with his driving if Stu and I went anywhere together he drove, perhaps not all the way at first particularly if we were on roads he didn't know. But travelling back and forth to various Rugby venues definitely helped as he passed both parts of the Test first time.

He did have a great instructor so that helped too, but the Lessons definitely weren't cheap. We used to pay for 10 in advance and were given a slight discount.
As we live out of town he has 2 lessons every time as otherwise he'd waste quite a part of each lesson just getting into York where they do most of the driving training.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 14 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

Well we have bitten the bullet, and gone with fully comp, me, and husband named driver, which was very cheap ,on a multi car deal with LV (who the other cars are insured with), and then we have taken out a marmalade deal for son.

I took him out for the first time last night.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 14 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Makes mental note to avoid the far north of Devon for a bit.*

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 14 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
*Makes mental note to avoid the far north of Devon for a bit.*

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 14 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone needs to insure a learner on your existing already insured car then check out this company

They are cheaper than any other company I have found.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 14 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God. He's posted an animated thing.

It'll all go Pete Tong.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 14 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17, passed his test, no-one else to be insured, and no multi-car options.

Anyone care to suggest a great deal they've just come across, please?

bibbster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 14 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
17, passed his test, no-one else to be insured, and no multi-car options.

Anyone care to suggest a great deal they've just come across, please?

Be sure to add yourself as a named driver, this helps. otherwise use one of the price comparison sites and Aviva and Direct line, that covers almost all companies.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 14 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours was more expensive if my OH and I were on the policey, by about £250.

We went with LV in the end. fully comp, £1250 multi car deal.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 14 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aviva don't want to know under 18, adding me increased it for some, decreased it for others. Tesco wanted six grand, and we settled on Hastings, with a black box. About £1,800.

LV wanted three grand, even tho Louise has had hers with them for ever.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 14 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cost of insurance might be a major motivation for those who just get a mobile vehicle and drive "dark"

im quite surprised that the maths of betting on somebody who has passed a test and bought a legal/decent car still requires such a high stake

maybe my old idea of up to 15 on a bicycle .15 to 25 on a motorbike and then a car if you want one would not only make folk feel responsible ,teach roadskills and cull those who crash a lot before they get a huge lump of fast metal so reducing insurance premiums to a minimum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive