Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Securing a field
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seriously consider carting your tools around in the car if you can.

or you could make a hidden bunker or something i spose

The fact they took the tent - could they be homeless?
I had the window of my car broken, and a (nothing special) coat taken off the back seat - other things in the car were left - police said it was typical of a dosser, just wanted to be warm.

Obviously the new window cost me more than the coat. Sometimes you wonder if it would be better not to lock up

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I agree. I think the more security you put in (beyond the basics) makes you more of a target.

Only if the security is visible or stands out.
I think warning signs advertising your security measures are a bad idea.
Tall fencing/trellis/spikey plants will not attract attention like barbed wire or security fencing.
I also think fake alarms/cctv are also a bad idea. If you're going to entice burglars then you may as well have the real thing.

Worth investing in decent padlocks especially if used outside. Cheap padlocks aswell as being weak, don't last long outside. I've got Abus locks that work fine after many years outside.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of a false wall in the garage and keeping stuff behind it. If I left all the brambles at the back, no one would be sure how far back the building went. I though of maybe shelves full of junk on castors, with a bollard behind, so you couldn't get the mower out even if you did find it.

As well as a lot of other less practical thunderbird-style set ups!

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiding stuff is good.
Trying to hide the mower (ride on?) maybe pointless. If somebody wants the mower they'll more than likely seen you use it and know it's there.
Bollard won't stop thieves lifting mower over it - they'll lift a motorcycle over car in a garage. Suggest ground anchor and padlock and chain.

12Bore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Set up some movement sensitive lighting. Must be possible to have it powerd by solar and battery. Thieves are generally lazy and will go somewhere easier or safer so a light will put many of them off. In reality, y can't make it 100% secure, and the more security you add! the more it suggests there's nickable stuff there.

and a concealed trail camera.

mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes making a gate secure makes what is inside more vulnerable.

For example many urban parks lock their gates at night - teenagers or those intent on criminal activity still climb in but know once they are in no adults or dog walkers or others can arrive with out undoing the gates and announcing their presence. so they are free to get up to mischief without interruption ! When the gate is not secured they need to keep a lookout for dog walkers , owners , everyone!

So it may be that making public access easier can make crime less likely.

it is no use having movement sensitive lighting or alarms if the field they are is locked and private.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:

it is no use having movement sensitive lighting or alarms if the field they are is locked and private.

Where else would you have an alarm? If the public were allowed in they'd be forever setting it off...

mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
mark wrote:

Where else would you have an alarm? If the public were allowed in they'd be forever setting it off...

Lighting - yes you want them to set it off - shows it works!!

Alarm - not for movement outside only for break in attempts to van!

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:

That wouldn't stop the travellers entering, though!

mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 14 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
mark wrote:

That wouldn't stop the travellers entering, though!

No - Ithinki te challenge is to prevent vehicles entering (travellers, wagons to carry away your stuff) but to allow pedestrians as people traffic and openness to the public deters crime .

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 14 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for area denial in relation to folk parking vans etc a patchwork of pits and mounds done with a digger is quite effective ,
holes /heaps about 1/2 a cubic metre on staggered 3m centres covering the entire area with extra banks/ditches as required

not convenient for mowing etc but fine in coppice or even orchard etc

this method has been effective on rawcliffe ings (it was a traditional pull up but a few messed it up for those who used it politely now and again ) and cyc got the digger in even though they dont own the land (if they did own it they would probably sell it for housing but it has a complicated history and is probably still legally old style strip fields and common)

a simple ditch/bank or large rocks are easy to fill/bridge or shift but the massed holes and lumps is impossible to drive over and a lot of work to flatten enough to create a park up pitch .

it also creates a variety of microclimates which are good for bio diversity or gardening style growing

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 14 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a locking post to stop people driving into the woods. It was pulled out once, so we have put more concrete round it. Useful for stopping vehicles getting in.

A method travellers round here use is to cut a chain round a gate then leave. If there is no reaction within a day or two, they come back and park up. They found the gate unlocked, and it wasn't them that unlocked it, honest, and they know that no owner is going to appear suddenly if the gate isn't noticed for a few days.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 14 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what worries me about the gate being off. Even cheaper than chucking on a chain, isn't it? I'm not really there enough to be a deterrent, although I will start popping in more often now.

I kind of agree about locking public places, but it isn't public! It isn't on the way to anywhere, and the entrance is tucked down at the end of a lane - if you put an alarm just in front of the gate, no one would have any reason to be there other than to trespass. Actually, the gate is set back a bit, too. If I put an alarm right in front of the gate, none should be there unless they are up to no good.

I still think the cow idea is a good one!

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 14 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm imaging lots of people traipsing through mark's house now

Regardless, even if it were a public space, alarming the gate would prevent vehicles entering, not that I think it's appropriate in this case. .

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 14 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:

I still think the cow idea is a good one!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive