Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
A few pics from the farm...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 15 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Elm's calf this year was born breech & dead, but her other daughter, Catherine, is due to calve soon. Here she is (a bit camera-shy, but I managed to get one decent shot);

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 15 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the dead calf. Hope Catherines calf is all right. Nice pictures.

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 15 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics
A.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 15 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just realised that the monocrome camera setting makes it look like the building is leaning to the right at the far end!

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 15 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving pictures this week, explaining how we feed the cattle in the winter.

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 15 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed that Rob.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 15 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
I enjoyed that Rob.

Oh good, I might do some more then.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the video, really helps to understand what you work so hard to achieve

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good video. Explained the process well and the reasons for bringing the cattle in and feeding in the yard.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
I've only just realised that the monocrome camera setting makes it look like the building is leaning to the right at the far end!

It's not the setting it's you wide angle lens. The wider it is the more you distort perspective to the corners. As you get wider you eventually gt to 'fish eye' withe wrap around effect hat has.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Rob R wrote:

It's not the setting it's you wide angle lens. The wider it is the more you distort perspective to the corners. As you get wider you eventually gt to 'fish eye' withe wrap around effect hat has.

Shouldn't that result in the two sides either both leaning away or towards eachother, rather than all to the right?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do. the centre line is vertical, near enough between Catherine's eyes, left of that is leaning left, and right right.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might be a silly question but why did bales change from oblong to round?

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
They do. the centre line is vertical, near enough between Catherine's eyes, left of that is leaning left, and right right.

Oh yes, my mistake - thanks.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 15 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
I know this might be a silly question but why did bales change from oblong to round?

Not at all silly - originally, at the beginning of last century, balers were big stationary machines that followed the threshing machines around the countryside, powered by steam and produced wire tied bales that could be handled by one man (in the days before health and safety).

Then when combines really took over in the 1940's/50's they needed a pickup baler that could feed itself by going along the swath behind the combine but mechanical handling was rarer and less sophisticated until hydraulics became more advanced.

In the 1970's round baler development had moved on, alongside hydraulics, which enabled mechanical handling. The advantage of a round baler is that it is a relatively simple machine, compared to a square one. The chamber can be fixed (with rollers forming the bale & resulting in a soft centre) or variable (with moving belts, which allows for a tighter bale that stacks better, and also less air in the middle so it makes silage better). It doesn't require any knotters for the string which is fed into the chamber and wraps around the bale ine one long, continuous string until the whole bale is covered.

The disadvantage with round bales is that you can't bale continuously - you have to stop to put the string on (although we use netwrap these days which is the same width as the bale chamber & so takes fewer revolutions to form a bale) and to eject the bale.

The development of large square balers in the 1980's means we now have a choice of shape in all sizes, but the round is better for us for several reasons;

- they shed water better so don't need to be sheeted when stored outside
- if mechanical handling isn't available one or two people can usually push a bale along
- when feeding or bedding by hand you can push the bale along, whereas the sections of square bales have to be carried.

The main disadvantages are that they take up more space than squares, especially for storage and transport and can roll down hills to kill members of ELO (not a massive problem round here, mind).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 13 of 28
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive