Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Organic?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that you can't call your produce 'organic' unless you're a member of the SA.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you can't call your produce 'organic' unless you're a member of the SA.

It never ceases to amaze me that they managed to hijack that word from the English Language - and that people allow them to get away with it !!

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:

No, you have to be registered with one of the bodies in my link (& meet their standards). To use the Soil Association symbol you have to be registered with them.
The soil association used to be the only one in the UK but not anymore.
Falstaff wrote:
Bodger wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me that they managed to hijack that word from the English Language - and that people allow them to get away with it !!
It has nothing to do with hijacking the 'English' language, & everything to do with maintaining a standard that people can trust otherwise we would get every Tom, Dick, Harry & greedy bugger claiming their produce was 'organic' to garner more trade & increase prices.
Look at the state of so called 'free range eggs' as a comparison.
10,000 birds in a deep litter house with a few popholes isn't free range in my dictionary but the industry gets away with it.
Compare that to 'organic' egg standards & you will see what I mean.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the hijacking of the words 'green' and 'sustainable' for everything. Any housing estate with conventional houses packed together and causing the same amount of consumption and waste as a house built years ago is labelled 'sustainble' and therefore allowed to be built.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
There is also the hijacking of the words 'green' and 'sustainable' for everything. Any housing estate with conventional houses packed together and causing the same amount of consumption and waste as a house built years ago is labelled 'sustainble' and therefore allowed to be built.
Exactly.
Which is why it's important to have a standard customers (& prospective customers) can trust.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:

Falstaff wrote:
Bodger wrote:

It has nothing to do with hijacking the 'English' language, .......

Please note I did not say "Hijacking the English language.........."

I said "Hijack that word.- From the English Language..."

You disagree it seems - ?

You post me a picture of an inorganic potato then ....

Lorrainelovesplants

Im sure there is another strand somewhere where an association or group called the wholesome food something or other.....
remember seeing it somewhere....quite cheap to register.

Im not 100% organic, but almost, and considered joining something for the chance to use a logo or whatever. Feeling rather woolly and tired this morning.

Lorrainelovesplants

Im sure there is another strand somewhere where an association or group called the wholesome food something or other.....

Im not 100% organic, but almost, and considered joining something for the chance to use a logo or whatever. Feeling rather woolly and tired this morning.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falstaff wrote:
Tavascarow wrote:

Falstaff wrote:
Bodger wrote:

Looks can be deceiving as you well know.
An inorganic potato wont look any different from an organic. & to all but the most discerning palette probably wont taste any different either.
Yet one is pumped full of artificial nitrates, sprayed numerous times with fungicides to protect against potato blight & dehaulmed with a herbicide just prior to harvest.
A herbicide which has been banned in many countries & has links to health problems.
Taking aside what effects growing methods have on the consumer I think even the most hardened critic couldn't deny the benefits organic growing gives to the wider environment which is my primary reason for supporting it.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:

Wholesome food association.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falstaff wrote:
Tavascarow wrote:

Falstaff wrote:
Bodger wrote:

Inorganic, no. Non-organic, easy.

Words and their meanings change, organically, if you like. This is no more hijacking than any other morphing of word use that has been going on since the beginning of language.

You're named after the fat, cowardly fool in Shakespeare. He made up and changed the meanings of hundreds of words. You may not like it, but it's quite normal.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:
Lorrainelovesplants wrote:

Wholesome food association.

I was a member of the WFA for a good few years, but then it lapsed and I forgot about it. I've sold more since not being a member and don't think that it really makes much, if any, difference, as you have to publicise it yourself anyway. The idea of paying for any label is largely pointless if you're communicating with your customers.

I'm not even sure that the WFA is updated any more, as we're still on there!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it isnt that long ago i discovered i was still entitled to sell folk finance for fixing their house although i never did sell finance and havnt done mending for money for 2 decades .

i suspect selling the "badge"is the important aspect of such things

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 15 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points made.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 15 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are meandering a bit into the 'trade' associations, I don't altogether believe in them either, or though one or two we have seriously thought about joining, but more for their aims than any real benefit they would bring us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive