Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
that moment

Author 

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 15 3:08 pm    Post subject: that moment Reply with quote

when you're walking down a quiet country lane and hear a most distinctive buzz in the hedge.....

20150524_114153
Unfortunately this was on the wrong island, with nothing to use to harvest whilst walking a 10 week old baby so became the one that got away (from me)....

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 15 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice swarm.
Easy to take as well.

From your hives or somewhere else?

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 15 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two swarms near the allotment that are impossible to reach.
That looks a good one.

tai haku

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 15 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:
Nice swarm.
Easy to take as well.

From your hives or somewhere else?

Absolutely heartbreakingly there was no way for me to take it (I was a ferry ride from home) and my hive at home is empty. Would've been rehomed pretty sharply if it was anywhere near home.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 15 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity. Hope someoene else got them and hope you get a swarm soon.

We had a swarm thoughtfully fetch up just above an empty hive. Husband thinks the queen got squashed last year when the 'hive', which is just some empty boxes, fell over, so the old colony had died out. He persuaded them they wanted to go into the box rather than into the roof, and they have set up home. He has had a look, and it is nearly all wild comb, so he was preparing some frames to do a transfer yesterday evening. Hoping they will get settled into a proper hive and move up the woods soon. They do have an advantage in that they are under a roof light, so I can leave that open when they are there because they are a very good anti burgler device.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 15 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this afternoon sd told me of a lost swarm and then said "no bees "

probably sensible but i am still tempted to box them in the dark

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love swarms!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't. I used to be our local association swarm co-ordinator, and my first job was usually to calm the hysterical person at the other end of the phone and convince them that they weren't going to be attacked by a whole load of ravening bees.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i blame the movies and resultant reputation of the africanised hybrids in the usa ,im sure if folk actually watched a swarm for a bit they would realize that bees are not interested in invading unsuitable homes,looting your sugar jars or gratuitous violence.

i seem quite prone to being bitten and stung but in 55 years i have only had one bee sting which was totally my fault as i sat on the unfortunate critter,other beasts have had me loads of times often for no obvious reason apart from a good laugh at my expense.

the various wild bees that feed and fertilize my blackberries are often quite charming and some become "pets"each year who will land on me and seem to enjoy a gentle stroke and some conversation

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stung & followed yesterday by one on my normally placid colonies.
Had to beat a very hasty retreat & all I was doing was checking the entrance activity.
Conclusion.
Professional hair dressers might like tresemme hair products but my bees don't.
Will make sure my locks are lank & greasy next time, not freshly laundered.
Never had a problem with cheap T***o own brand shampoo.

tai haku it pays at this time of year to carry a container in the boot of your vehicle for such eventualities.
Something like this takes up little room.

joanne

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd got a swarm yesterday but it turned out to be bumblebees, I'd even sent her the id video to watch from the BBKA!

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed, Hen X has a swarm for me! They have stayed hived since Saturday. Collecting at the weekend.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 15 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow, that looks very useful, but being mesh, don't the bees tend to get tangled in it slightly? The mesh may be so fine they don't, but would be interested to know. A flattened out cardboard box that can be rearranged to box shape and some masking tape can also be useful. Bees are funny about perfumes. Also find they are less likely to be difficult if you can make yourself very calm, and sometimes will accept a woman going near them when they have seen off a man. To do with pheromones I suspect. On the other hand, you do get the odd evil colony that go for everyone and every thing, although thank goodness those are rare.

Joanne, some people never look properly. Have gone to several bumble bee nests over the years, but have mainly reassured owners and suggested ways to preserve them.

Dpack, bees idea of unsuitable homes and people tend to differ a little bit. Have been called to swarms in cavity walls and impossible positions in roofs, and have just had to say live with them or get them destroyed as you can only get them out with building work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive