Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Zopa ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 15 10:25 pm    Post subject: Zopa ? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this ?

https://www.zopa.com/lending/how-lending-money-works

I know some of you do a similar sort of thing in 3rd world countries - but I'm an Attorney under an EPA and have a duty to "do my best" to preserve capital.

So I'mwondering about shoving a few tens of k's into some of this ?

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how regulated is it?

if it went hooves up can you justify losing it?

is buy to let an option?as that way you have a physical asset as well as an income which seems a decent idea considering the empires old clothes that the banks are wearing

both gold and silver have dropped from their peak a few years ago but seem to be stabilizing and if things look iffy in the world banking system the price will rise considerably again, a tangible asset that one can bury rather than trusting a banker to retain value in numbers on a spreadsheet.

other small valuable things include some of the rarer stones which are best if bought unmounted,good quality or as preloved jewellry at auctions(this requires knowledge or trusting a dealer)

my choice was keep and refurbish to let which so far has increased the asset by twice the cost of refurbishment and earns around 6% of its value net after costs(again trusting a good letting agent takes the strain out of dealing with tennants)

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic motorcycles are the 'in' investment. Considered to be much safer than gold and the returns are potentially significant. Need a broker though to get the best return.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
how regulated is it?

It should be covered by much the same regulation as the banks and other money lenders.

Whatever else, it looks to be a good idea: if this company does not do it well, then there is a gap in the market for one that does.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Classic motorcycles are the 'in' investment. Considered to be much safer than gold and the returns are potentially significant. Need a broker though to get the best return.

bit harder to keep in a sock under the bed than gold though...

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's that amazingly tall bed at Cathryn's. Maybe it's where she keeps her classic motorbikes.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
There's that amazingly tall bed at Cathryn's. Maybe it's where she keeps her classic motorbikes.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine in the living room.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please, nobody tell Gareth he's 'supposed' to have a classic bike for investment purposes.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get one in bits,mend it over 5 yrs ,sell it unused ,get another

or get an a350 fill it with fuel and make some noise

Falstaff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 15 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I Don't like the look of !

https://www.wellesley.co.uk/invest-now/wellesley-mini-bond/

Falstaff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 15 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

.........is buy to let an option?as that way you have a physical asset as well as an income which seems a decent idea considering the empires old clothes that the banks are wearing.........

..............my choice was keep and refurbish to let which so far has increased the asset by twice the cost of refurbishment and earns around 6% of its value net after costs(again trusting a good letting agent takes the strain out of dealing with tennants)........

No - I got out of "Buy to let" thoughts some years ago - when the writing was scribbled on the wall wrt HMO's and Local Authority "Registrations" becoming a cash cow for Town Halls !

In fact I believe the mass exodus from "Buy to lets" will inevitably push the prices of certain types of property way down, as besieged Landlords try to "get out With something left "

An unlikely source for the Death knell maybe - but one the Greens should approve of !

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2015/jul/11/buy-to-let-landlords-george-osborne-tenants

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 15 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the other part of that report, I think there is going to be a crisis among the self employed with a number of them forced to go back to unemployment as they just can't hang on any longer.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 15 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the investor security "page not found" might put me off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive