Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Is this feasible?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 15 5:48 am    Post subject: Is this feasible? Reply with quote

I've posted elsewhere of the Community Garden we are setting up in Otley. I want to involve as many local groups as possible to ensure its viability - the more people use it the better.
One idea is to set aside an area for bee-hives. I'm sure there are a number of people who haven't the room to keep them at home who might like to keep them there.
So the idea is that people could bring their own hives and perhaps there might be some kind of mutual help given to manage them.
I've kept bees myself but it was years ago so know somethng of the necessary care that they need.
The area could be surrounded by high screens to get the bees to fly high over the site so as not to be constantly flying into people.

What do you suggest as to how it might be run?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 15 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could either ask a bee keeper to keep hives there and manage them, paying rent in a few jars of honey and perhaps some tuition to those that want it, or get some hives in and share the costs and the profits. The latter would be more in keeping with your objectives but more likely to cause friction. I would suggest seeing if any other community gardens run something like this and asking how they deal with it. Try your local beekeeping association if you decide to go down the first route.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 15 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts occur
If people keep their own hives and they are in close proximity - will you have a apiary sub committee who decide a group approach - such as bee health - there is no point in everyone doing their own thing re bee health and this could prove detrimental to the bees as a whole.
Secondly what about insurance?
Bees and equipment are expensive - I'd want to know what the set up re security and insurance was?
Lots of allotments allow bees, but in a seperate area, with large notices and a hedge to force bees to fly up before heading out to forage.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 15 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a beekeeping view not a problem as long as everyone gets on.
Encouraging people to share the work & the profit will be better than keeping it all individual IMHO.
From an environmental point of view to many hives in one place will out compete other species, bumbles & solitaries.
So taking all of the above I would limit the apiary to four or five hives & make it a group/community apiary not four or five individuals.
That way more people can get involved, more people get a jar or two of honey, & more people learn about how fascinating they are.
Even those afraid or allergic of stings can help with extracting & bottling.
If you have a Warre or horizontal top bar hive with observation windows even the youngest can see the workings inside with little risk of stings & little disturbance to the bees.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 15 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good ideas there - thanks.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 15 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was considering bees for the community orchard but have decided wild bee habitats/food plants might be the way to go on the grounds of security and perceived threat from hived bees to the public.

i will be interested to hear how you progress along the beeline

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 15 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bee keeping association has supported the set up of community hives in a community garden. This means that they are insured through the association and the bee keepers have been mentored in their first few years.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 15 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
My bee keeping association has supported the set up of community hives in a community garden. This means that they are insured through the association and the bee keepers have been mentored in their first few years.

That sounds promising - I'll talk to the local Beekeepers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive