Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
51 people living in 4 houses...
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 15 5:19 pm    Post subject: 51 people living in 4 houses... Reply with quote

https://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/home/fifty_adults_and_a_baby_found_living_in_four_houses_in_barking_and_dagenham_1_4277858

Here is a link to a story in my local paper, this is my borough and I know these roads but it shows some of the issues of bad landlords, over crowded housing and the price of renting in what is the cheapest london borough to buy a house in but has the 2 highest reposeion rate....

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 15 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be happening all over London, property prices are mental

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 15 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, one guy charging £4000 a month for a 3 bed house with 10people living in it when it was a serious fire and health risk and that's just one of the stories.
14 people in one hi use but as an illegal sublet the landlord knew nothing about, government sanctioned agency's knkwing but not caring but if you can make £48, 000 A year, knowing the houses thst pushing 20% yields then it's gonna happen when the demand is there.

joanne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 15 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is where are these poor people going to live now? They will all have been made homeless by these raids! It's an absolute scandal on many levels!

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 15 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was normal in georgian england ,i did say that the return to victorian values was not the aim of the current government or their owners.

the return to (late) victorian values would involve building homes,clearing slums,enforcing laws re overcrowding etc etc etc .

perhaps the 2000AD judge dread system of blocks a mile high is the answer to affordable housing in a restricted space but as we have the interweb there is little need for a mega city and a under developed country of semi derelict ex industrial areas .if both gov and businesses delvolved to such areas it would not only solve the current problems of such places but would be far easier than trying to solve them in a small geographic area.

shall we relocate the cabinet office to selby?

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 15 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
that was normal in georgian england ,i did say that the return to victorian values was not the aim of the current government or their owners.

the return to (late) victorian values would involve building homes,clearing slums,enforcing laws re overcrowding etc etc etc .

perhaps the 2000AD judge dread system of blocks a mile high is the answer to affordable housing in a restricted space but as we have the interweb there is little need for a mega city and a under developed country of semi derelict ex industrial areas .if both gov and businesses delvolved to such areas it would not only solve the current problems of such places but would be far easier than trying to solve them in a small geographic area.

shall we relocate the cabinet office to selby?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 15 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the Lyndhurst Gardens I knew, it has come down in the world very badly.

I was thinking early this morning when I woke up about some houses that used to be in our 'village'. One family I knew of raised I think, 7, children there. I visited one of the others in the group fairly often when I was a child and it was a 2 up 2 down with a built on bit at the back and the rooms were tiny. I realised that even as a child, so they must have had double beds with 2 children each end. Perhaps usual for the 1920s-30s, but we really don't want that.

Sadly there will always be some people ready to exploit others, and at present there seems to be no government support for the exploited only the exploiters.

Heard on the news this morning that some well known shops are still not paying the minimum wage. Will they be prosecuted? No-only named and shamed.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 15 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Heard on the news this morning that some well known shops are still not paying the minimum wage. Will they be prosecuted? No-only named and shamed.

Very sad state of affairs, especially as UK factories are being dropped by major retailers at an alarming rate due to similar non compliances.

As I've always told my kids, the world ain't fair.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 15 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

As I've always told my kids, the world ain't fair.

Whoever said it would be ???

GrahamH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 15 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falstaff wrote: Whoever said it would be ???

in response to Tahir's....As I've always told my kids, the world ain't fair

But, and this is the important bit....it could be. The only thing stopping it being fair is certain people.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 15 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what the all fuss is about.
The more people you can cram into a house, the more it pushes the price of houses up which fuels economic growth which is wonderful for everybody in the country... except for poor people and who wants to concern themselves with those.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 15 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamH wrote:
Falstaff wrote: Whoever said it would be ???

in response to Tahir's....As I've always told my kids, the world ain't fair

But, and this is the important bit....it could be. The only thing stopping it being fair is certain people.

yep and although they have the money ,the guns and some rather nasty tactics to keep their lackeys in line they are few and we are many.

im starting to consider the advantages of creating a fluffyman rather than a stalin .(edit that should be fluffyperson)
as "be responsible ,no one is in charge" seems beyond most folk it could be a decent option,the present system is neither ethical or sustainable and the global sheeple seem to need a bit of help .

i vote ghandi ,underpants ,glasses ,spinning wheel(for his hobby) and a pen were about all he needed ,a leader with no greed would be a very good start.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 15 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

im starting to consider the advantages of creating a fluffyman rather than a stalin .(edit that should be fluffyperson)
as "be responsible ,no one is in charge" seems beyond most folk it could be a decent option,the present system is neither ethical or sustainable and the global sheeple seem to need a bit of help .
Isn't that what the conservatives are doing with Boris?
Grooming him as next Tory leader.
Even those of us that know his even more extreme right wing views can't help but like the buffoon.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 15 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he plays the buffoon very well,i dont like him at all,he is a very dangerous man (to friend or foe) and perhaps shows some rather sociopathic tendencies in both politics and his personal activities.

john of wessex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 15 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres the whole 'beds in sheds' scandal.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive