Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How we can help our libraries.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 15 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt that libraries are good things. Except I never go near one - in my case access to the internet from home has really done for them.

Of course not everyone has access to the internet or the cash to buy books so I can see there is a need there. Having libraries in the same building as post/council offices makes a lot of sense when less people need their services than previously.

It was a weekly event for my mother to walk me and my two sisters to the local library - if we were really lucky we stopped on the way and got a custard tart from the bakers.

Instilled in me a lifelong habit of reading for pleasure and research - priceless really.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 15 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the last line is the reason they are being destroyed,an educated population is dangerous.

Annemieke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 15 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I posted this to another forum ("Down the Lane"), someone replied:

Quote:
I just found out last week that our library takes book donations. The decent ones are catalogued and put on the shelves. The tatty ones are sold on to a paper reclamation business and will be turned into paper. An income for the library!

Good idea! I wonder if other libraries do it that way? Hers is in North Lincs.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 15 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
I have always felt that libraries are good things. Except I never go near one - in my case access to the internet from home has really done for them.

Of course not everyone has access to the internet or the cash to buy books so I can see there is a need there. Having libraries in the same building as post/council offices makes a lot of sense when less people need their services than previously.

It was a weekly event for my mother to walk me and my two sisters to the local library - if we were really lucky we stopped on the way and got a custard tart from the bakers.

Instilled in me a lifelong habit of reading for pleasure and research - priceless really.

I think I agree 100%. Except I only had a brother. And we got 10p worth of sweets.

I still read for pleasure almost every day.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 15 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use our library. Being cash poor and time rich is an incentive. And the bookshop in town closed.
I borrow cookery books quite often to see if they're worth acquiring permanently and a lot of stuff lke travel and light reading that I know I'd never re-read.
They're massively involved with the local schoosl and preschools (There's nearly always a bunch of kids in there in the mornings). And they were really helpful to Boy Wonder when he was looking for suggestions back when he grew out of children's books and didn't quite know what he wanted to move on to.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 15 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our library often has kids in as groups too Sean. Gets them used to the idea of books, which has to be a good thing.

I will ask our library about taking donations Annemieke. We have a number of books that might be of some use to them, if only for historical interest on electronics and such like. We don't get any magazines they might be interested in I don't think, but I will ask, as husband has stacks of the things around the house and they only go for recycle periodically when he has a cull.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 15 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been huge cuts to Council budgets so all the smaller local libraries are under threat of closure. Trouble is, their footfall is so low it is hard to justify it on numbers. However having had a conversation with a local councillor about this there is apparently no threat to the mobile library service. It seems to be a great service, the librarian knows everyone and will get books in whenever requested or will stock the van with books he thinks will appeal to his readers. I have no idea what the costs or savings might be but it would be good to see this service grow as libraries are cut. I've used it myself to feed books back to the library as there is no parking nearby and it doesn't open until 9.30 by which time I am in work.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 15 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our area it is the other way round. Our mobile was cut to once every 4 weeks, which made it tricky to decide when it was going to be there without a diary, but luckily our local library building is still there. We have one library to serve about 7000 houses which is due to increase by over 10% in the next few years. It seems to have a steady trickle of users when I am there, and isn't open all the time, but does seem to be worth while.

Sadly, where councils are having to cut everything, although I would fight against it, cutting libraries is better than not caring for people.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 15 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the library 4 times a week-ie the days they are open. As a result of all the cuts they are closed for Mon. now as well as Wed. We have about 7 computers available, but you are allowed a maximum of 2 hours a day as they have reduced the number from 10 to 7 pooters. There is quite a lot of folks using the library for books as well as the pooters, but in addition they offer a lot of the services here-I can pay my rates here if I want to, collect bin bags and get council information. Indeed the services are good when it is open. There are 8 people in here now and when school comes out there will be double that as kids without pooters at home come in here to do their homework.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 15 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
perhaps the last line is the reason they are being destroyed,an educated population is dangerous.

True - but whilst the vast majority are completely under the spell of the propaganda and have an attention span which twitter calculates to be 140 ? characters - there's not much fear of a population suddenly developing the power of rational thought or the ability to question the official dogma by being in a library !

I walked out of the one in this town some 25 years ago as they would not accept my MoD security pass as "proof of ID" - tossers !

Is there a place for them nowadays ?

There are a good few people who have not properly integrated into the 21st century and I suppose they derive a lot of value from libraries - and Gregotyn uses his for internet access - which must be a pain - but very cost effective, if you don't do that much on t'internet.

Like Pubs and Working mens clubs ( Well "working men" too ) I suppose libraries are just another community enterprise which the "New generation" will demolish by their total disregard of anything which the population can derive a benefit from without "Logging in" !

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 15 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of those who has failed to integrate with the 21st century; that is, I prefer things on paper rather than a computer screen, yes there is definitely a place for books and libraries. There are still a lot of us that were born half way or less into the 20th century, and we should be here for quite a time yet.

Apart from anything else, you can read a book, write on paper, or refer to information in books during a power cut. Think about that when we have only about 2% spare electricity capacity.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 15 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh MR we have a lot in common, paper works for me too, although I like the computer as I can correct my spelling mistakes witout having to start again! I am currently reading the Phinn books you recommended and at the rate of one a week, I am a slow reader. I want to live as long as I am well but would turn the clock back to pre computers if I could. I also don't like the idea of someone being able to access my money without my knowledge.
They didn't ask for id at the library when I joined. But I don't understand librarians being called tossers for wanting your id, Falstaff, they will have had a list of acceptable id, and obviously the military id was not one of them.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 15 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some advantages to computers, Gregotyn; we are able to communicate all over the world, so can have a discussion with Jam Lady in the US and Cassandra in Tasmania, as well as being able to correct our spelling. On the other hand, having worked on the microelectronics, I never trust computers and inch. As husband says, even your fridge is out to get you. Trouble was, I was too much at the development stage, so it never ceases to amaze me when it works. I also found having an ability to go back to basics like making jigs out of card and foil a great advantage, and before someone asks, no I didn't make things shown of Blue Peter.

Most places will only take a limited range of ID Falstaff. Occasionally I had works security passes accepted, but generally it is passports and driving licences. Son was once asked for proof of age, so showed them his chainsaw licence, which they grudgingly accepted as it had his age on it. He was a bit peeved because the person that asked had been at the same school as him in the next year down. I have a problem with ID as I don't have a current passport not a photo driving licence, so people have to accept the paper one or take my word for my identity. Still I don't think anyone would steal a paper driving licence to misrepresent someones ID.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 15 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I jumped in to defend the library service, I can 'talk' to thousands of folks on the computer who I will probably never meet, but have potentially something in common with-sympathise with-help possibly. Without the library service here I would be unable to do that unless I paid out a lot of money monthly, plus a fair bit of capital as it is one mobile phone and the library service see it 'sorted'! I missed Blue Peter we didn't have TV. I have to get a passport if I am to do any travelling abroad!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 15 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the library computer is certainly useful for you Gregotyn. Unfortunately, we don't really have that option, even if we wanted it, as we have to do some of our business on line, and we just have one computer and limited opening hours at our local library. It isn't in the sort of place where you could easily do a lot of work either. I don't hold a current passport either as I only travelled abroad for work, and have never seen the advantages of spending hours in an airport or on a ferry to get to other countries. There is so much of the UK I haven't seen yet.

I got a good lot of books from the library Wednesday, so have started to read them. Nice relax.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive