Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Taking Credit Cards
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 15 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorldPay Zinc

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 15 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izettle 2.75% no monthly fees.
Money in bank in 3 days.

Card holder present only.

Last edited by RichardW on Tue Jun 02, 15 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 15 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the PayPal system. Cost of the machine (for us at the time) was £40 and there is a 2% charge on each transaction. For us doing shows it is ideal but may not be suitable for you. I think they have other variations though so may be worth looking at.

Pete

MornieG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 15 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Pete said Paypal has been great for us. Tried izettle and found it was useless, couldn't get a signal anywhere we actually needed it. The paypal worked where people were having trouble with standard credit card machines at an event in Abingdon last Christmas.

Mo.XX

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 15 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MornieG wrote:
Tried izettle and found it was useless, couldn't get a signal anywhere we actually needed it.

Mo.XX

Thats a phone signal issue not an Izettle issue.

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 15 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
MornieG wrote:
Tried izettle and found it was useless, couldn't get a signal anywhere we actually needed it.

Mo.XX

Thats a phone signal issue not an Izettle issue.

Normally I would agree but we frequently found that whilst the phone connection was fine the iZettle machine just didn't want to know. Even in the middle of towns at times where we had full signals. PayPal works through the phone as well and we only have problems when, as you say, there is a bad signal on the phone.

Pete

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 15 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had an izettle and had a few good shows with it when the signal behaved, then it decided to reset itself to factory settings mysteriously and we haven't had the time or willpower to follow up and get a new one sent out. I'd be tempted to try the paypal one next time I think

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 16 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking at this thread again for some info....

Credit card machines.....

Buying a machine second hand? Off ebay?
How do you know you arnt buying a 'dodgy' one?

Putting a machine back to factory settings? What info does this actually 'wipe'?
What are the chances of buying a dodgy one and then having someone contact you to say - actually thats MY machine?

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 16 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
Im looking at this thread again for some info....

Credit card machines.....

Buying a machine second hand? Off ebay?
How do you know you arnt buying a 'dodgy' one?

Putting a machine back to factory settings? What info does this actually 'wipe'?
What are the chances of buying a dodgy one and then having someone contact you to say - actually thats MY machine?

Spend the money buy a proper one that is clean, the money that you spend on it is worth it compared to one that could end up loosing far more money. £79 for an iZettle or Paypal one is pretty good!

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 16 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but how do you know? Is there any way of checking?

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 16 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as the Paypal one is concerned it looks like you pair it with the app that is on your phone so it's linked directly to your Paypal account.

As for whether it's working or not well it's the risk you always take when buying from the likes of eBay!

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 16 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't buy any credity card machine 2nd hand. The PayPal one you get direct from PayPal and any money taken goes directly into your PayPal account. The app works through your phone (may be some other way e.g. tablet but I haven't tried that) and is logged in your PayPal account. I have had one for about 18 months and so far have had no real problems other than oncew or twice where I couldn't get phone reception. there have been a couple of occasions where other vendors with the more traditional machines have had problems and I have been fine so I suspect whichever one you go for there will be times when you could come unstuck. Biggest plus as far as I am concerned is that you only pay when you use it and as I said before it is 2% on each transaction.

Pete

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 16 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluntly, I think if you're trying to run a decent and professional business, you should spend money on something reliable and decent. One missed payment will make the shortcut version a bad idea.

I know you hate spending money, but I think you probably have to be more realistic. What Pete says makes good sense.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 16 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fine, Im not buying one....

I cant justify buying one.

missysx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 16 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For work I use SagePay - for a small business, i think up to 2000 transactions is £30 pm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive