Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
marmalade labelling help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 16 8:38 pm    Post subject: marmalade labelling help Reply with quote

hello,
been a while since I was last here... I'm stepping up my preserves making and was wondering if there are any artisan jam/marmalade/preserve makers who can advise me on the labelling law?
Specifically I understand I am required to state 'made with XXg fruit per 100g' and 'YYg of sugar per 100g'. I get that a refractometer is needed for the sugar statement, but how does one work out the fruit content of marmalade? when some of that fruit is peel and some is actual fruit ( endocarp ) is an artisan marmalade maker seriously expected to weigh the peel and the fruit separately? and if your marmalade recipe uses 2kg sugar to 1kg raw whole fruit and makes 3kg finished product, does that equal 'prepared with 33g fruit per 100g' ?
Thanks for any pointers /answers!

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 16 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better check this one out matey.The old one's are the best and that includes me.

https://forum.downsizer.net/about63299.html

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 16 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanks Bodger, unfortunately the links are expired!
I think I will just weigh the whole fruit and the finished marmalade weight to work out my total fruit content. Life is too short to quibble about how much fruit is peel and how much is fruit pulp and juice!

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 16 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me.

https://forum.downsizer.net/about63299.html

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 16 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the weight of the complete fruit (including peel, stones etc) so 1kg sugar plus 1kg oranges with a yield of 1.5kg marmalade gives us 67 g fruit per 100g jam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive