Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
what "non native" invasive vermin do you have?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 16 12:47 pm    Post subject: what "non native" invasive vermin do you have? Reply with quote

we had argentine ants,bitey wee critters known as Linepithema humile and able to form super colonies.

they were marching through the house from their front door outpost nest which seems very quiet after quite a bit of icing sugar and brazing flux fell into the entrance hole

i dont care for the use of poisons but i really dont like fiesty wee beasts biting me and stealing dog food.

they will probably be back from another part of the super colony but it will be a while before that nest is habitable again.

what pesky forners do you have and how do you deal with them?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 16 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of Japanese knotweed - round-up injected in the stump when it gets to a couple of foot high. Keeping on top of so far!

Squiggles - bang, bang as and when - loosing the battle.

Himalayan balsm - pulling by hand before flowering - succesful in some places - beyond the pale in others.

Hybrid bluebells - don't know what can be done?

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 16 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Himalayan Balsam.
Great bee plant & excellent bio-accumulator/compost material.
My exotic invasive fauna is false widow spiders.
Very beautiful & not aggressive but can have a nasty nip apparently.

Shane

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 16 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street cats absolutely everywhere. Apparently they were intentionally introduced a few years back as it's preferably to see moggies raiding the bins than rats. Trouble is, now budgets are being cut left, right and centre the municipal catch-and-neuter scheme has been scaled back, so there's half-starved cats everywhere.

If anyone wants a good one one, we've still got four left from a litter of six that was rescued (while I was away on a rugby trip) from certain death at the jaws of the compound's dominant feral male. They'll be ready for travel in a few weeks.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 16 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather definitely native, but we have a snail crawling about on our bedroom window at 1st floor level at the moment.( that's one floor up for non-UK readers) It didn't quite crawl through the window yesterday morning but I did see it's head and horns just above the frame of the upper window, which looked a bit weird.

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 16 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: what "non native" invasive vermin do you have? Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
we had argentine ants,bitey wee critters known as Linepithema humile and able to form super colonies.

they were marching through the house from their front door outpost nest which seems very quiet after quite a bit of icing sugar and brazing flux fell into the entrance hole

i dont care for the use of poisons but i really dont like fiesty wee beasts biting me and stealing dog food.

they will probably be back from another part of the super colony but it will be a while before that nest is habitable again.

what pesky forners do you have and how do you deal with them?

There was a girl at university who was known as ' Liverpool Crabs ' and whilst Liverpool isn't quite a foreign country, I decided that it was perhaps better to steer well clear.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 16 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 1978 liverpool had(probably still does)a major branch of the school of tropical medicine.nuff said.

thinking of ports barry used to have some amazing spiders living around the docks where the banana boats unloaded and iirc the london docklands still has scorpions,sheerness has a well established colony of yellow tails.

when my hound caught an odd looking roach in a huddersfield pub the landlord blamed the chap two doors away who has an informal tropical fruit and veg business and sends them various new "customers".

i spose we get more visitors (and immigrants) than get noticed by science or the public.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 16 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

when my hound caught an odd looking roach in a huddersfield pub the landlord blamed the chap two doors away who has an informal tropical fruit and veg business and sends them various new "customers".

i spose we get more visitors (and immigrants) than get noticed by science or the public.

Ah yes. That reminds me of some years ago when I ordered a pint in a pub in Cambridge. As the pint was being poured, I noticed a cockroach crawl stealthily over the edge of the bar counter and begin drinking from a pool of (presumably) spilled beer on the counter top. My beer glass was promptly whacked down upon the said 'roach', hastily wiped and presented to me. I stopped drinking there after that, not long afterwards it closed.

But yes, who notices the cockroaches in the food hall at Euston Station? Maybe they are no longer there (it was a few years ago) - but it's another place I stopped eating at!

Henry

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 16 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be amazed at how many places have cockroaches hiding in the corners...

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 16 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
You would be amazed at how many places have cockroaches hiding in the corners...

Presumably even more of them type, now keyboards need a lighter touch!

Henry

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 16 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

thinking of ports barry used to have some amazing spiders living around the docks where the banana boats unloaded and iirc the london docklands still has scorpions,sheerness has a well established colony of yellow tails.

Those scorpions ranges are expanding & they are turning up elsewhere.
Probably our spate of mild winters are to play.
Checking your boots before you put them on in the morning is wise advice in many parts of the UK now.
It's something I've always done since about eight years old when I found a mouse in my wellies.
I think the mouse was more shocked than me but I still remember the shock!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive