About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Making things from old Pallets
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 15 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gregotyn , you have enlightened me I really didn't know the Euro pallets had sides - the ones I get hold of are from Germany a friend of mine had a solar panel farm put on his land and all the products came of a wagon straight from Germany and he was suddenly swamped with hundreds of pallets. He mainly burns them in a biomass furnace but allows me to harvest what I want.
Some of the slats are really lovely wood and quite smooth I have made two perfectly fitting shed doors from them and I am no carpenter I just look at the expensive posh stuff in the garden centre photograph it on my phone and copy it at home with the pallets, I reckon I have saved hundreds of pounds doing this.

The raised beds are simple box or rectangle constructions with the thick sections of pallets for bracing - they wont last forever but I reckon a few years will be had and hopefully a few meals from what they are surrounding !

Ginkotree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 16 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been fortunate enough to have a supply of pallets from a Printers..because they are used for paper they are smaller but have a solid face and are clean wood.. The printers are glad to get them taken away..
When we have used the usual ones for the front of a porch floor we have filled the gaps with wood to fit rather than rip them up.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 16 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently gotten a pickup truck load (that's 21) of pallets my darling daughter sent me this link

No directions but a slew of images to inspire you. Click on the top row of boxes - patio, bed, etc - and the images will conveniently sort themselves for you

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 16 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice link, we have a few pallets in need of re-purposing, though I think they may be too crap to make much use of.
Aiming to get them checked tomorrow.

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 16 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favourite pallet creation.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 16 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those things are amazing Jam Lady. You would need good quality pallets to make a lot of them. Rob, rather daft, but amusing.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 16 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam Lady I have just looked at your daughter's link-spoiled me for choice! My librarian has ordered a small round seat-off home to make a start. I just have to get a planer thicknesser. I always wanted an excuse!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 16 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I have never come up with a legit excuse for one of them.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 16 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husband wants one but the problem is where to put it. It would certainly be useful for our milled timber. I still live in hopes of having bellows made from out own timber and son doing the leatherwork for them.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 16 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my family bellows, still working, made from elm and leather. I am not even going to volunteer to photograph them after my last fiasco! But take it from me they are beautiful if you are into antiques!

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 16 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make things out of pallets in the past but gave up after I found that most pallets are so cheaply made that any attempt to make them into anything else just turned them into a pile of splinters. The pallets that are good enough to be used as something else tend not to be given away or to be more useful as pallets (the last time I reused pallets was some decent pallets which I used under a workshop sitting on a stable yard where we weren't allowed to put any foundations down so I wanted something freestanding but which would have airflow - so pallets used as pallets were a great option.

lowri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 16 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who used to work at a printers, and she provided me with much smaller pallets than your average back-of-a-lorry type. Much lighter to handle, sometimes with solid tops which made tables! Also easier to pile up when not in use.
One of my sheds occasionally floods to a depth of over 2 inches (ditch behind it takes runoff from the roof) and my 2 medium size freezers each sit on a pallet. No worries! In case of abundant floods, add another pallet!

lowri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 16 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I see Ginkgotree has already covered the printers pallets area! That'll teach me not to read the whole post!!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 16 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowri, all ideas are welcome, but do you stand the freezers on polythene on top of the pallets, as wood absorbs the water and so if the pallet comes into contact with the freezer when the pallet is wet could rust it?.

lowri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 16 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of that - but the freezers have feet which are the only bit touching the wood! The Hotpoint big freezer seems to be coated and non rust, it never has in X number of years; the little cheapo Ice King I would be suspicious about, it does rust at the drop of a hat (round the lid - no pun intended!)
I always thought there should be a drill on the apple-corer principle to drill out nails, but never managed to source one! This was in pre-Internet days! I now use them whole anyway!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive