Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Best way to find property to rent
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
Mazoo wrote:
Thankyou everyone for you help. I wouldn't necessarily rule out somewhere in Leeds, it has to 'feel' right I suppose but we have our preferred areas, if you see what I mean.

Depending what you want to do, Leeds is pretty good for foodie types, farmers markets, etc. Further out along Calderdale you've got Incredible Edible Todmorden and the arty hippies of Hebden Bridge too

we're in Manchester so we know those places a bit, arty is good, because we are arty!

Pillsbury - no I didn't read they were moving.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of arty? I'm a potter, we have printers, woodturners......

Mazoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
What sort of arty? I'm a potter, we have printers, woodturners......

I studied Clothing design and make sewing patterns and clothes, also interested in textile print design, I dabble in garden design ( so far that's a hobby but would like to go further). Mr Mazoo does cartoons, graphic design, T shirt design and websites.

GrahamH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 16 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mazoo.

I am originally from Manchester. Have you thought of France or Spain? There are several Downsizers in these locations.
It sounds as if Mr Mazoo can work from anywhere with an internet connection.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 16 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
And by a strange coincidence someone has just come on facebook offering a house to rent... In Leeds unfortunately.

House in Leeds with land/garden?

They didn't say... Leeds may be characterised by back do back houses with not even so much as a yard, and it does have a lot of them, but I wouldn't say they're typical.
Isn't likely to be a big garden, if it has one.

Mazoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 16 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamH wrote:
Hi Mazoo.

I am originally from Manchester. Have you thought of France or Spain? There are several Downsizers in these locations.
It sounds as if Mr Mazoo can work from anywhere with an internet connection.

Hello GrahamH..... We don't want to go abroad really, we have family we want to be able to see a few times a year and have to think of the cost and time of getting there and back. We love Ireland too but it would be the same thing. We decided Wales, or somewhere north would probably be best for us.

henchard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 16 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We moved to West Wales six years ago and love it.

There are a number of fairly active local Facebook groups related to small holdings and farming; properties for rent sometimes come up on those and you could of course post on those yourself. Such as

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WestWalesbarterandexchange/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/628426723941425/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/628426723941425/

probably loads more

Mazoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 16 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henchard, i shall check them out.

john of wessex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Trust?
The 'Big House' - local landed estates might have something

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 16 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out who the Property Managers are for the Landed Estates in the area your are interested in & loo on their websites. They often have quite a few farms and smallholdings on their books.

This website might also help: https://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/search/

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 16 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Find out who the Property Managers are for the Landed Estates in the area your are interested in & loo on their websites.

Perhaps not. That kind of behaviour does tend to upset people...

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 16 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite as good as the local council sports and recreation department news letter bragging about opening their brand new 25m poo .

Mazoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 16 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'25 m poo' .... That's not really what I'm looking for.

I will have a look on the other website suggested, thanks for that. So far i have seen an estate in Anglesey that might be worth applying for, the national trust had very little (3 properties in the UK) , they looked very expensive and they interview you , aswell as the usual checks eek!) i have also viewed endless ads that say things such as, no pets, no dss, landscaped gardens, criminal record checks, professionals only ( what ever that means) etc..... It's not that we'd fail these checks, we are self employed not dss but we do want somewhere we can grow things and have pets. We would love woodland as well.....but how this all comes together i don't know.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 16 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you explored the work part time in exchange for premises route?

i have met a few folk who have a nice place to live in exchange for a reasonable amount of gardening ,housekeeping ,moo minding etc etc .

Mazoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 16 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd update this thread. We were in Ireland for 10 days and decided we would like to live there after all. I have always wanted to.

We are looking for somewhere to buy with a small house that can be done up on a /ahem/ 'modest' (aka tiny) budget. Now we are faced with looking at things online and thinking about the logistics and cost of going back over to see them.

So thanks to everyone for their suggestions here, I suppose if I want advice on buying somewhere in Ireland I should post it on the moving abroad forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive