Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Silkies in the rain

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 16 12:27 pm    Post subject: Silkies in the rain Reply with quote

My poor silkies look very bedraggled in today's drizzle. I had an idea they shouldn't get wet as their silly feathers don't have proper waterproofing. Is that right, and if so how do I tell them that? I thought that if they had a nice warm shelter with food and water, they'd stay in it in bad weather, but they seem to prefer to get wet in their usual haunt in the patio. Must I keep them shut in their covered run when it rains? Or am I being exceptionally over protective?

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 16 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be very stupid or they may be deceptively well-insulated
I would err on the side of stupid! How tame are they? Can you cuddle one and see if it's wet through to the skin or just surface dampness?

chickenlady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 16 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had an outdoor silkie she used to get sodden - in spite of having a roofed run with dry flooring, she still preferred pottering about in the rain. However, I always made sure she was reasonably dry at bedtime (patting her as dry as possible with a towel). She had a couple of "normal" bantams to cuddle with at night time and I guess they helped her to stay warm.

BahamaMama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 16 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a silkie that had access to a warm, dry house but preferred to potter about in the rain. She was fine and lived to a ripe old age with no pampering or towel drying.

chez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 16 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BahamaMama wrote:
I also had a silkie that had access to a warm, dry house but preferred to potter about in the rain. She was fine and lived to a ripe old age with no pampering or towel drying.

Yes, this. Nothing madder than a wet hen and all that. Let them get on with it

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 16 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they weren't wet through yesterday, and I wasn't hugely concerned as it wasn't cold. I was just thinking of later on in the winter. I'll leave them to it, unless they look miserable. They'll be in the eglu with with few other bantams to dry off on (they all like to sleep in a big pile in the nest box)

chez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 16 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're hilarious in the snow. Mine used to try to jump from bush to bush rather than get their socks wet.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 16 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine refuse to go out in the snow at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive