Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Round peg in a square hole?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes local shops can be quite helpful.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Sometimes local shops can be quite helpful.

Wives'R'Us?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Funnily enough when you google it there's lots of people asking but nothing specific seems to turn up...

I do often google things before asking you lot...

sean wrote:
Putty is traditional...

Putty is quite possibly what was used before. The effort getting it off puts me off using it again.
Nick wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Possibly worth popping in to a local plumbing place.

That's a bit extreme.

I can do extreme, and indeed that was my intention, but they are not open 'till Monday.

Thanks folks: we have at least the pretence of a plan...

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc the things treac mentioned come in various metal finishes to match the tap but they can also be had in ceramic to match the sink .

you dont want putty, you need plumbers bedding compound which does not crack as much as putty does ,bed the scutch onto that and then put a bit under the tap flange.

dont over tighten the nut ,enough to hold the tap in place but not much more as scutches have a habit of collapsing or breaking if you over do it .( as do basins and enamel bathtubs )

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps old putty is best removed by careful use of a sharp chisel from the flats and a penknife in the holes.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
ps old putty is best removed by careful use of a sharp chisel from the flats and a penknife in the holes.

It was removing the old tap from the putty that presented problems rather than the putty from the sink.
It did not help that the putty (if putty it was) had firmly bonded to the nut...

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis too late for that one but there are a few tricks that can help when that happens.

turning the tap down to thread it tighter can work it loose but not always.

warming the threaded pipe very carefully sometimes breaks the lock ,get wrong you will need a new sink.

removing the sink to make it easier to get underneath and very carefully drilling out the putty around the threaded pipe with a fine drill and a dremel can be effective if done carefully.if you are over enthusiastic or use too big a drill bit you need a new sink comment . i haven't messed that one up so far.

using a huge wrench on the tap and encouraging it with light hammer knocks while putting leverage to it is often good but again is best done with the sink deliberately de mounted as it is fairly easy to pull the thing off the wall or pedestal and so perhaps breaking it by leaving a chunk of sink in place when the rest moves

tis a horrid part of the job so well done for getting out with no damage

my lest favourite bathroom get it loose jobs are corroded bog seat fixings closely followed by steel screws rusted into a wall through a cistern that needs moving but not replacing.both of those can get expensive

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 16 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had seen those escutcheons, but didn't know what they were called. One of those under each tap, carefully tightened, should work with packing under it.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 16 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Funnily enough when you google it there's lots of people asking but nothing specific seems to turn up...

I do often google things before asking you lot...

Google is only really any help if you know what things are called, though. One of my biggest challenges with trying to be more practical is that I don't know what things are called. I know what I want them to do, but one looks a complete idiot in B and Q saying things like 'Are there such a things as skirting boards with hollowed out bits at the back so that you can run wires through them, and incidentally, actually fit flush with one's really dodgy walls and stop the slugs getting in?' (There are, they are called rebate skirting. So we live and learn)

Woo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 16 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with project sink.
however, has your lovely lady been kept up to speed?
there is so much choice out there now maybe she would flex a little?
I spent some time looking at taps for the house project, often spoilt for choice... or is it a done deal? I found some I really liked and there was a choice of square or round pillars for the same style top.

the name of things for a specific purpose has a whole new dimension in another language...'le truc pour le robinote qui est tros grand pour le tru'
yes I know the spelling is all wrong, but I don't write it down for the nice man in the bricco shop...

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 16 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
tis too late for that one but there are a few tricks that can help when that happens.

There is still the cold tap to do...

Quote:
turning the tap down to thread it tighter can work it loose but not always.

warming the threaded pipe very carefully sometimes breaks the lock ,get wrong you will need a new sink.

Very substantial amounts of not wanting to break the sink: have spent too long already looking for a new sink that she likes...
Quote:
removing the sink to make it easier to get underneath and very carefully drilling out the putty around the threaded pipe with a fine drill and a dremel can be effective if done carefully.if you are over enthusiastic or use too big a drill bit you need a new sink comment

That is more or less how I did it, except without taking the sink off the wall: that looks to be an epic task in itself...

Quote:
using a huge wrench on the tap and encouraging it with light hammer knocks while putting leverage to it is often good...
tis a horrid part of the job so well done for getting out with no damage

Very gentle taps with a big hammer were what shifted it in the finish.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 16 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo wrote:
good luck with project sink.
however, has your lovely lady been kept up to speed?
there is so much choice out there now maybe she would flex a little?
I spent some time looking at taps for the house project, often spoilt for choice... or is it a done deal?

A pair of taps have been bought and one fitted, but the child doesn't like it and it appears to drip, so there is grounds to take it back if need be...

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 16 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take children back? Why has no one told me this before?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 16 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be common knowledge. They're wouldn't be any left after about 7pm.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 16 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the other tap came out relatively easily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive