Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
A frying pan becomes a skillet?

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 6:58 am    Post subject: A frying pan becomes a skillet? Reply with quote

Saucepan conversion to a skillet.

I've been fancying getting a skillet to go an outdoor fire with my tripod for sometime now but at a price in excess of thirty quid, I've been frightened off.

Today, we 've taken the handle off an old Frying pan and made our own. We made the handle out of mild steel, drilled holes in the pan and then pop riveted on. How simples that? I've just used my new skillet to poach some eggs and enjoyed them on toast.

Tom made the tripod for us out of steel reinforcing rods, which again was a real saving on the one's advertised and here's a factory made skillet that we based our design on.

https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/product.php/3680/kadai-swing-skillet?gclid=CjwKEAjw34i_BRDH9fbylbDJw1gSJAAvIFqUiq4LIxXTWFpnCh2xVTcu6aCfhqtd0PavW2v1I8lWzhoCHyrw_wcB

I've just had a skim through these images and I might have a few more jobs for Tom and his welder the next time he comes to visit. :whistle:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=campfire+cooking+utensils&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi25_OesaLPAhWlDMAKHbcdBPAQsAQIkwE&biw=1051&bih=501

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pan conversion.

i suspect much of that sort of kit sold online is intended for the glamping market and the less than authentic reenactors .

rebar is ace stuff ,on top of that firebox a few short bits would make a pretty good pan rack for a boiling pot if the dutchy is on the hook slow cooking a stew.

a rebar grid rack with some hooks makes a very good roasting thing and the juices can fall into a tray under the rack but beside the fire.

another source of useful rack material is a dead oven, the racks work very well as fire cooking equipment

one of the best re purpose life hacks we discovered for open fire cooking is that a cheap steel wok put dome up on the fire is the perfect tool for cooking chapatis. far faster than a flat thing, more even cooking and much easier to get the cooked one off and next one on . we got it down to about 35 seconds which is ace if you need to do a lot as by the time they have got a bowl,a spoon and some curry the next one is ready.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have a photo showing all of the tripod please.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want one of these

https://www.roadii.co.uk/shop/4583491679

I need to wait for at least a birthday, though.

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait until my 100th birthday before I forked that much out but then I'm a tight wad !

Jema, we kept it as simple as possible. We hammered out a loop on the top of each rod and then used the chain that we hang the pans from to bind them together.

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this?

https://forum.downsizer.net/about79441.html&highlight=tripod

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see doing something like that, in my ever expanding pit.
Pit has come on a bit since that pic, and is now loose lay brick.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I really want one of these

https://www.roadii.co.uk/shop/4583491679

I need to wait for at least a birthday, though.

with a few bit of repurposed stuff and maybe £30 of bought bits making that rig is fairly simple.

the top of the tripod is rather nice bodger, my version is just a ring with a chain .pop the three leg ends through the ring,spread the feet ,job done.

the very simplest is just a chain and any sort of available pole for the legs ( not jan or georgi ) a simple knot will tie the poles together.

a little trickier is a single pole with stub branches or notches to hold the pan handle held at the base over one log or rock by a heavier one on the end so it goes over the fire at an angle .

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd really like to finish things off is a Shepherds hut but I can't see me ever getting a nod of approval from the boss. A nice thought though.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 16 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tripod, but if it is welded it has to stay as a tripod doesn't it? I like the idea of linking with a ring, chain or even wire so that it can be folded flat, but depends how you want to store it and how often you will use it of course.

When I think that in Guides we didn't have all that stuff, just had to turf, light a fire with no more than two matches, cook (although we were allowed pans, usually army surplus in my time), then clean up so nobody would have known we had been there, I see that outdoor cooking has come on a long way since then.

I have a Dutch oven/small cauldron with legs, so it doesn't need to be suspended. We make a fire in a pit made of two rows of redundant bricks with a bit of metal grid over the top for all but the stews.

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 16 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to own up that I've chested a bit this time and sent off for one of these.

https://www.garden4less.co.uk/gardeco-cast-iron-toastie-iron.asp?partner=fr&gclid=CjwKEAjw-Oy_BRDg4Iqok57a4kcSJADsuDK1CegvL4_L61h_l28Gh_XpTOcwKefbCfvX9BHGAXdg2BoCfUjw_wcB

We'll get lots of use out of it. We love a good fire.

Last edited by Bodger on Mon Oct 10, 16 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 16 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ,i used to have a couple of pressed steel ones that were ok but a bit prone to burning before the middle was cooked .

if you use a fluffy batter ( whip the egg whites and fold them in last and add extra baking powder to srf, milk etc ) they make a pretty good waffle/doughnut type thing as well as toasties

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 16 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'chested' should have read cheated.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 16 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking it was a local archaic expression for getting some money out to buy something as in "he got some florins out of the chest , he was pleased to have chested for it as it makes good toasties " etc .silly me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive