links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
weekend harvest
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 16 8:46 pm    Post subject: weekend harvest Reply with quote

yesterday's dog walk provided
5kg apples for the week from ancient trees, 2 types of unknown id . one of them makes a good apple sauce.
kg field blewits . yummy.
1/2 kg elderberries to go with some of the apple.

today a shrooming venture to a 400 yr old broadleaved wood provided no edible shrooms ( lots of interesting ones though ) and rather nice alfresco snack of service tree fruit, tiny and you need to spit the seeds out but really nice in a not like anything else sort of way.

there were a lot of crab apples as windfall under a very old ,very very big one(800mm trunk 20m tall) tree but i cant be bothered with crabs at the mo as i have several tons of apples to get picked over the next couple of weeks so i will end up with plenty malus based stuff.
it isn’t all for me most will end up at the foodbanks either as apples or as juice and hopefully i will have help gathering and transporting.
it is from the various old trees in the dormouse orchard and spread around the old asylum hospital site ,I recon i have found most of the fruit trees but each year i seem to find a couple more ,this year i found 4 "new" pear trees but failed to spot the very short window between not ready and pulpy wasp food on the floor
however next year they will be on bi weekly obs in september.

autumn is quite a nice forage time

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rather good isn't it. We have started to get some fungi in the woods now. I think we had some sort of inkcap, but it is disintegrating now, so a bit hard to tell. There are some little pink ones that I did ID once, but can't remember now, and a fair number of stump puffballs.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly 100% foraging but Thursday a colleague shot a pheasant where we were working & presented me with it
The next day he asked me if I like wild boar, to which my response was a positive one...at midday he gave me the front passenger side quarter of a 50 kg boar, plus the liver & heart
I gathered about 50 snails yesterday & the same again this morning along with a kilo of fallen walnuts...OH is very happy, given she's French.
In all, we have enough to feed us for about 10 days; & given the current state of our finances, this is very welcome

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yum.

walnut and boar liver pate would be on my menu from some of that, snails are ace but since i have reduced the slimey hoard they only present in ones and twos so they go flying rather than in the cleaning crock.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 16 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for some reasonably price pork to arrive so we can continue with the paté...apparently it's a complicated recipe but we may try simplifying it a tad.
Meanwhile more snails gathered plus some chestnuts found on the footpath

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 16 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the Elderberries. I didn't get any this year, the birds seems to have eaten them all. Little buggers.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 16 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90kg of apples processed for us since w e before last.

5 hrs and 3 people have got about 300 kg for the foodbanks this week more on saturday.

blewits and ceps in shrooming news

round here there seem to be more elderberries than the birds can manage, i have picked a few but dont like them as wine so i tend to take my share as flowers for cordial and cakes.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 16 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nibbled lunch of a few lingering blackberries, a few elderberries, then came home with pockets stuffed with "feral" apples. Nice and sharp, but too big/sweet to be true crab apples.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 16 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gathered a decent wheelbarrow full of apples from the neighbour this afternoon
Some green walnuts from work along with another bucketful of snails
Seems I may have missed the sloes this year, but everything seems a bit f***ed up weather wise
Also very few elderberries....anywhere it would seem

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 16 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sloe harvest round here has been very poor this year as well.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 16 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot of chestnuts around but not quite ready yet.
Sloes/bullaces have some of last year's fruit still on them but pretty much nothing from this year.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 16 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More chestnuts than you can shake a stick at here

all on the ground in very prickly harnesses

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 16 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good year for chestnuts. We visited a place in north Hampshire last weekend and people were out after them. Haven't checked for sloes yet, but I have a couple of places that I use. I even found a few along a line that doesn't usually produce a couple of weeks ago too.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 16 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2kg chicken of the woods on a hounds birthday outing

we got a very nice chicken and some venison sausages as well but that does not really count

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 16 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 kg eating apples , little, russety, adams somethings
kg ceps , 3 nice field blewits and a tiny wood blewit.

and a lot of juicing / store apples for the foodbanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive