links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fireplace Hearth

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:33 am    Post subject: Fireplace Hearth Reply with quote

We are redoing a fireplace, and I am having a problem sorting out the tiles.
Any suggestions welcome.
I know the tiles for the hearth we are having, but it is the layout. I want to have slate. The depth is 36". We will need 2 tiles for the depth. Do we go for a 24" at the front of the hearth, and a 12" at the back, or just have 2 x 18" tiles. It is a very big hearth and quite dark at the back.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the tiles square? Is the grout going to match or contrast? Have you tried using some paper or card cut to size to see?

I'd probably go for 24 at the front and 12 at the back, it'll use less tiles, need less cutting and possibly make it a fraction easier to clear with whole tiles at the front.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the former. You'd be able to trim the smaller tile if necessary without it looking slightly odd. By the time you get grout, trim, bugger it's not straight back there, sorted you'd be shaving one of the 18's any way.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, the tiles come in different sizes,

https://www.winkleightimber.co.uk/internal-flooring/slate/grey-slate-tile.html

The grout will be black

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
I should add, the tiles come in different sizes,

https://www.winkleightimber.co.uk/internal-flooring/slate/grey-slate-tile.html

They do 36" flags. A bit too much choice, I'd go for trying out a pattern with some paper or card.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD you are right, they do, except I told him I would choose from the top of the list, and the bed is set for 1/2" tiles

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
I'd go for the former. You'd be able to trim the smaller tile if necessary without it looking slightly odd. By the time you get grout, trim, bugger it's not straight back there, sorted you'd be shaving one of the 18's any way.

I am not holding my breath that the wall is straight, so that is a fair point.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 16 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draw a line at 90 degrees to the rear edge in the centre of the fireplace, mark the front edge and both sides.

once you have the "floor plan" it should be fairly easy to decide what sizes are required so it has bilateral symmetry to the centre line.

big at the front ,smaller at the back will give the illusion of a big hearth receding into the distance whereas big rear/small front will foreshorten the look.

i might go for sizes that add up to the width and cut the rearmost ones to size for depth( the chances of the back wall being the last side of an equiangular rectangle are pretty low so will either need cutting or a wide grout fillet at the back.)

ps if it is to have maximum longevity it is wise to lay the tiles into a wet perfect screed of lime/portland/sand mortar rather than using tile glue which often fails if heated .iirc there are hearth rated adhesives but i'm not sure how effective they are.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 16 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what have you decided , Alison? We want a picture please.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 16 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for least grout lines. I loathe grout lines. If I could have a big piece of slate cut to match the floorplan of my house and craned in, that's what I would do.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 16 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re grout if you don’t want the grout to show between the slates use dark grey or black grout and give the whole slab a polish with either fire black ( graphite in a wax/oil base in a tube, it only needs a bit) or a light and well buffed coat of black boot polish (not so good but easier to find in a hurry ).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive