Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pallet / shed dismantling bar

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 1:22 pm    Post subject: Pallet / shed dismantling bar Reply with quote

I have one and a half sheds to dismantle and need the treated tongue and groove to complete a carport. The shed has been nailed with reticulated nails and I could do with removing the boards then knocking the nails back out. I could possibly punch the nails through , at the same time I have pallets to strip. Has anyone used the various wrecker bars available on ebay and what manual punch would be useful ? thanks.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy on here called Gareth, he is an engineer and has designed and made exactly thst and ships them all over the world.
His company is cargo cycles but I'm not sure what he sells them as on eBay.
I will message him and get him to come on and give you his link

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
There is a guy on here called Gareth, he is an engineer and has designed and made exactly thst and ships them all over the world.
His company is cargo cycles but I'm not sure what he sells them as on eBay.
I will message him and get him to come on and give you his link

That's great thanks

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found him under Cargo cycles thanks.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, his bars work really well

onemanband

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 16 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For controlled dismantling I would recommend one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-utility-bar-1-x-7/78365
Don't be fooled by it's small size. Unlike a conventional crow-bar it is flat, so can be forced/hammered between the timbers with minimal damage - you can force it in much closer to the nail and reduce splitting. The 'nail-forks' work far better on nail-gun nails and on nails upto 2.5 inches, than do the forks on crow-bars or claw hammers.

Cheap nail punches are fine - you'll probably loose them before you mash them.

For dismantling pallets I use a 4 foot gorilla bar.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 17 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dismantle pallets all the time; the only way is with a "tool", but it is not 100% going to remove the boards intact every time care is needed-you will get at least1 in 4 going wrong. The tool I use is around 5ft long and a 5" wide gap and long tines-6". I can do a drawing of mine if you want me to and send it to you. The rough neck is also useful-I have 3 of them and find 2 work well together! They do, as suggested by onemanband, take a lot of stick-one of mine is about 20 years old, and his theory about losing cheap nail punches is right-you lose them well before they break!

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 17 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregotyn wrote:
I dismantle pallets all the time; the only way is with a "tool", but it is not 100% going to remove the boards intact every time care is needed-you will get at least1 in 4 going wrong. The tool I use is around 5ft long and a 5" wide gap and long tines-6". I can do a drawing of mine if you want me to and send it to you. The rough neck is also useful-I have 3 of them and find 2 work well together! They do, as suggested by onemanband, take a lot of stick-one of mine is about 20 years old, and his theory about losing cheap nail punches is right-you lose them well before they break!

I would appreciate a drawing or even just a photo thanks , I've been looking at the commercial ones and do wonder as to how strong they would be as they seem to have small welds on the end of the shafts
Thanks Paul.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive