Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Non Compos Mentis Hard Drive

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 17 10:30 pm    Post subject: Non Compos Mentis Hard Drive Reply with quote

Briefly - and an instance where coincidence is not causality - about a week ago I updated Firefox on my Sony Vaio All-in-One Windows 7 PC. After which it wanted to re-start to run the program. But could not. Mr Jam Lord managed to do a Safe Start and get it going. Good for a couple of days. Non starting. Safe Start. Delete Firefox, also Flash, just for good luck. Not lucky enough.

To cut to the chase - took computer to nearby computer repair place. Diagnostic is free. Hard drive is failing. Have had him order a new drive, 1 terabyte as previously but this will be solid state.

I am bereft in its absence. Clunking along on a 15 year old XP laptop. Cannot do anything on my web site. Pictures accumulating on camera card - nothing to download them to and even if I did all the programs for web site, photo editing, etc are you know where - on the old computer. Nice repair man offered to pull files off the early Alzheimer stage hard drive but I think it best to disturb it as little as possible.

How quickly we become - choose one or more - accustomed, habituated, addicted, spoiled.

Thank you for allowing me to grump / gripe / complain. Sympathy is very welcome.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 17 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my sympathy. 1 portion.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly?

sg

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 17 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking on the bright side, the HD gave warning of it's imminent demise which allows for a civilised replacement rather than making a few nasty and unusual scraping and groaning noises and then suddenly dropping dead ( like my last casualty ) giving no opportunity to archive the stuff that was too recent to have got saved on the external HD

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 17 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am good at cooking. Have written several books. When it comes to computers - it's all magic. I can use but do not understand how / why things happen. Mr Jam Lord takes care of that end of things. (He doesn't cook . . . )

There are TWO external hard drives. AEOMI runs every Monday and first Friday. But I'm told there's a difference between cloning the drive and working from a backup.

Paid extra for expedited shipping on hard drive. If it arrives today I might get computer back today. Then need to crawl under desks (two, in L arrangement) while Himself orders wire hookups. Or perhaps he will have to do the under table work? If not today, then tomorrow.

By bedtime Thursday I need to A) pack for trip departure Friday a.m., B) cook for friend whose husband had surgery to repair fractured leg, C) get pictures off camera card (though I do have a spare card), and D) see if I can manage to complete any website entries and upload.

So today I will be cooking and making more jam. After all, that's who I am, Jam Lady.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 17 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer is back home, hooked up. Fast! Maybe I should have it join Mensa? I'm happy. Also busy catching up.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 17 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
looking on the bright side, the HD gave warning of it's imminent demise which allows for a civilised replacement rather than making a few nasty and unusual scraping and groaning noises and then suddenly dropping dead ( like my last casualty ) giving no opportunity to archive the stuff that was too recent to have got saved on the external HD

So, er, what's the general lifespan of a hard drive?
*Glances nervously at somewhat creaky laptop*

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 17 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure about solid state drives but the disc and magnet type are often good for about ten years so long as they do not die in infancy and have reasonable cooling when in use.

some last far longer but why risk potentially massive inconvenience , which reminds me to archive the last few months worth of data

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 17 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
So, er, what's the general lifespan of a hard drive?
*Glances nervously at somewhat creaky laptop*

For the cost, is it worth the risk?
dpack wrote:
im not sure about solid state drives but the disc and magnet type are often good for about ten years so...

One would hope the SSD's should last longer, with all their moving parts being entirely frictionless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive