links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sheepskin

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 17 9:20 pm    Post subject: Sheepskin Reply with quote

Ok I inherited a sheepskin from my grandad after he passed away July last year nothing special but I want to treat it somehow on the back as the skin is very hard. I believe he had it yrs and I don't think it's been treated . I'm wondering the best way to make it last without ruining it. It seams very hard (hard too explain) but don't want too brush on a load of linseed oil and it be very wet for ages sort of thing. Is there a good and effective way of treating a skin/hide? Cheers in advance matty

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 17 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that you'll need to use something like flexalan, brushed on to the leather side.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 17 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling neatsfoot oil the thing to use, but I can’t remember where I read it. I don’t put anything on mine (except conditioner when I wash them) but none are as venerable as yours, and they are all regularly pummelled by a small child, which keeps the supple.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 17 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neatsfoot oil is ace stuff for old leather/ the skin side of pelts.

iirc there was a place in barnsley market that sold it from their tripe stall but in modern times these folk sell it as well horsey shops etc sell it at daft prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive