Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
SD's new house, the practical stuff
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 17 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of ,i did manage to get a really good builder round today to quote for some of the brickwork stuff and he can do it in the timeslot required.
the one who took 10 days to quote put in a "i dont really want the job" price and didnt quote to the specs given so he ain't working on this

the render is nearly all off but i still need to demolish a chimney (from the top) and get some more floorboards up and drill some holes for the sparks and and and and over the next few days.

my saw is dead, just after i bought it two new batteries and the "new" ex display model one to replace it was only $84 including shipping but might arrive between the 4th and 16th oct which is a bit late as i need one now.

at least i have use of a beasty 110v disc cutter to go with the breaker so i can get on with quite a few things.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 17 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a while has passed and quite a bit has been done

tanking and render for damp done
most render done ie the wall that used to have a chimney on it
some render to do. eg over the signed off ties for the bomb damage ,various making good patches and maybe a few bits of flattering

stairs mended, refitted and no longer supported by a few rather tired and nervous woodworm they now sit fastened with some rather over engineered timber and hardware to a 6" concrete slab with full dpm and a deep hardcore base .
quite a bit of concrete was shoved into voids under the original hall floor with a big stick which might help a bit with stabilising old and new

the structural timber across the hallway under the stairs will form the core of a rather complex combo of stair support, door frame top , a stair width wall top and a place to attach various ,aligned, wonky and slopey bits of wood and plaster, all at slightly different angles, on both sides of the new kitchen door wall stairs junction

by removing a bit of clutter( well a chimney and some walls and a few odds and ends) from the kitchen was wise, it now has at least twice the useful space, it looks nicer, will make a proper centre of the home kitchen and as a bonus probably has a fairly full set of original quarry tiles( my preference would be refloor with proper concrete etc but a mix and match wonky floor can look ace and work ok )

most windows in, now the front lintels, arch and brickwork are sorted the last two can go in on tuesday then building control will sign em off to go with the other ones as done and fine.
kitchen window now on a new sill at the proper height for a kitchen sink rather than creating a fly moat as the previous one did.

much of the electrics are done in terms of time but we need to get them moving on some lights and getting first/2nd fix complete asap

collectively we have removed about 25 cu M of skipable stuff and attached a bit under 7000 kg of materials if thi counts the water in the wet trades mixes along with moving stuff from place to place a lot of lifting etc is now done.
playing about with sticks, plaster and fittings is much more civilised but i do have a liking for using demolition tools and first fix mending methods to provide the bones for a refurb.

i have forgotten some stuff that is done and about 30 items that need doing next so more news will follow , it has been rather nice taking it easy and doing "normal" stuff for a few days but i have almost recovered from first fix much like the house has and so it is time to get the prewinterval/ weather critical stuff done and be ready for a burst of 2nd/3rd fix stuff in january

ps the firm that did the remedial brickwork to the front are ace, having a chat with their pals who spread might be a good option.

Last edited by dpack on Sat Nov 04, 17 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

gz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 17 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to photos...

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 17 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time im there i will do some "mid term "ones.

ta for the reminder, i have some before and some during rip out but now would be good

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 18 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time passes things get done.

near end of internal first fix , into second fix/making good

it got a bit complicated as doing stuff showed up stuff that needed doing but i think we have run out of unexpected choices of surprise from an extensive but now known potential menu.

anyway engineering bricks, stainless steel and assorted setting chemical mixtures are my friends
almost all wires etc in place, half pipes in place, timber and plaster ongoing

not too bad considering winter(val)and the unknowns

i will do pictures of this stage.

juggling assorted diaries," desirability" and a budget is something that can be a bit tricky
notes to the bold:
if you have not done this sort of thing before make sure you pay a lot of attention to all three factors and keep an open mind regarding how to solve practical or administrative problems

a combo of decay, bomb damage, some top quality historic mistakes and what could kindly be described as despicable acts here and there is interesting to identify and remedy. most of that is sorted with just a few bits to still do

the new layout is ace and will work very well for most households,

at the mo i am wondering how to stretch the budget to a month or so of a willing/capable minion to get them moved in( if not finished) within an 8wk window.
a combo of " barnraising" and "we want to do some of it " covers some stuff but there are plenty of things a minion and me can do that they cant and subbying in costs too much. i will work on that thought

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 18 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering our first house, built about 1870, the failures started with the build. They didn't understand damp courses and fire walls and it got worse from there. Swear some of the internal walls were built after a visit to the pub they were so curved.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 18 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bathroom ready for plastering, with a floor, a new ceiling (under the old split level and saggy one) and wires and pipes and stuff.
that means once the spreading is done the plumbing tails can be raised, mist coat to the walls/ceiling and then a proper waterproof floor can be laid ready for all the nice shiny bits of bathroom and boiler
other rooms are available for plastering but there is still a lot of smallish ( and a couple of largish ) tasks to do before the last thing is ready for skimming .

most of the electrics are done and there are only a few bits of in the voids plumbing to do.

i'm playing with sticks next to create a few wall surfaces and sort out the downstairs wood floors for something to stand on and make sure these ones stay dry and well ventilated unlike the ones they are replacing

it still looks messy unless you remember the cm of dust in the kitchen ( sitting on several cubic meters of rubble )

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 18 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you waterproof with a paint on membrane, similar to "redguard" here in the U.S.?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 18 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me .

imho good plaster, well planned ventilation and heating helps a lot
in the uk climate let it breathe is often the best bet regarding damp in bathrooms although oil based eggshell paint can be handy if condensation is inevitable(un heatable walls etc)

i do back high water areas with waterproof board*, marine ply as a substrate for tiles or polymer is ace.
the floor will be sealed vinyl so as any floods go down the stairs and avoid the electrics and kitchen (i have seen too many oopsies that start in a bathroom)

* given chance i will line the entire bathroom in marine ply or waterproof mdf and then tile it

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 18 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are well into second fix, juggling trade's diaries and mission timings is the game at this stage.

before, after, before, at the same time, week after next, etc, etc

i need a second fix

it will work out but this stage is probably the most complex.
the budget and financing are issues that impact on timings and timings do on them, again complex but under control.
my 20 to 30 is still covering the infrastructure stuff (at the top end , so what, tis still a goer from start to sell if needs be although that is not in the plan, this is a home ) but i cant dis getting a stunning cooker although that did not feature in my cost projection

bring a house back into use for a generation or two might be "greener" than building an "ecohome" in some circumstances.
apart from efficient equipment and a lot of loft insulation it isnt a "green" project but it is better to mend it than get a new one most of the time

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 18 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread and I know you're a busy, busy man DPack but not one single photo yet? I'm very disappointed to say the least

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 18 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto!!!

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 18 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK once i feel a bit better i will sort out a few choice snaps

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 18 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super! Hope you feel better soon.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 18 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon mate, waiting for a pic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive