Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 18 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather here was goo; we even had sun. Very gusty winds in the night, but seems to have calmed down now and all being well the weather should be good.

Son had to go home sick yesterday as he suffers from catarrh in his ears, and was having a bad attack yesterday. Hoping he is better today. My computer also decided to play up badly and I can't get e-mails to come up. Luckily we have them stored elsewhere, so husband has them coming up on another computer, and will try to get mine going again soon.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 18 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I can see myself being the ancient crone trying to fix the plumbing in the not too distant future!

Gregotyn, it's not an engine, it is purely mechanical and mechanical I can do. I provide the power by treadling, and so it is just bits that go round like clockwork but bigger and easier to see. Cogs cams and levers - very simple mechanical object.

I will check to see if there is a lever MR - I can turn it frontward manually, but if I start the wheel in the direction I want to go it reverts to the other direction with the next heave of the pedal. My last treadly you just started the direction with a swipe of your hand as you began peddling so perhaps there is indeed a lever as this is a more modern (I suspect 20th century) wheel.

I used the first of my new Extras medical insurance today and after paying them $30.00 so far, have claimed $190 back! And there's be a similar claim next week despite my next payment not being due till the week after. I still have to pay something to the Dentist, but it is less than half the cost it would otherwise be!

And I really like the new dentist - he treats you like you are intelligent, explains things via photographs and xrays so you don't have your mouth full of fingers and tools as you converse and did't hurt a bit! He also gives you a heads up of possible side-effects so you are not unpleasantly surprised by something firing up on neighbouring teeth as a consequence of his activities. Definitely a find - a much closer to home too.

And I have signed up to do driving for the Hospital - taking elderly folk to medical appts in Hobart and Launceston. The cars are amazing! Did you know you can now get cars that start with the push of a button while the keys are still in your handbag! Amazing stuff!

Today was 30 but luckily did not reach that till quite late when I was already home, and tomorrow is going to be much the same but with wind. So I won't be terribly active at all I am afraid to say.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 18 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We appear to be following you MR. with the weather; very windy over night, a pleasant day but raining now. My brother used to call our mother the aging crone, luckily she was not up to speed with such a description; alternatively she was playing dumb. Sorry about MIL and the cistern, it happens however. Old dears hate calling folks out to do things as they don't like to trouble others, it would be better if they did. They used to do it for their parents and so on, so trouble the next generation-my theory anyway.

I now understand about the motor and getting it to go over top dead centre to continue the cycle in the right direction. I am thinking that you have to get it to pass top before you are starting to sew so that it doesn't turn back. It may need the pedal connecting a notch back so that the machine is over top centre before you are pulling it down and so will continue on a downward motion rather than the pedal connection returning down the same side of the wheel that it went up if the sowing is already on the way up. Experiment, as I am no mechanic, even if I think I know what I mean! I am looking forward to seeing a photo or 2, please.

I hope the snow is the last for you Jam Lady. You have had enough already for one season. However good it looks, snow diminishes in appeal in proportion to us as we get older. Our downfall this year has been enough, 2 lots and I got to work on both occasions-our council boys were out with the snow ploughs and salt early, and the roads were ok even though we had just over a foot-33 cms-in 2 falls. We had a covering on Monday morning and in my stupidity I left my wellingtons outside overnight and I am still drying them out with newspaper. I bought a new pair of cheap and nasty 'wellies' to wear whilst the others dry out, but they are not very comfortable.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 18 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2016 Honda HRV is keyless ignition. The key fob device just needed the battery replaced. Mr Jam Lord did it, dealership wanted $8. The rarely used "valet" fob also needed battery replacement so battery is good for 2 years whether frequently used or not.

Yesterday's temperatures were just above freezing, even while it was snowing. Very heavy wet snow. Mr Jam Lord plowed the driveway yesterday, brought the cars up this morning. Last night's temperature dropped into the teens again so everything is now snow ice. Sunny today and supposed to be even somewhat colder tonight. Nah, Gregotyn, I wouldn't think we're beyond snow until end of March. And snow in April is not unknown.

There's the phrase "onion snow" mostly used in Pennsylvania for the last, usually light, snowfall about the time onions are planted.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 18 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next couple of days are going to be a bit busy for photographs Gregotyn, but I will see what I can do.

Today started well - not - with evidence a mad egg tosser adorning my ute.

Since it's school holidays my initial assumption was bored kids, so after I took the dog for a walk I washed it off after taking photos. On the way back from our second walk I was accompanied at some distance by psychoneighbour who walked up the middle of her yard as I walked up the lane, and spewed forth some fairly colourful language and abuse. I ignored this but braced myself for a trip from the RSPCA as she has apparently finally noticed I have a rooster in a run. The visit was concluded amicably but the rooster will be dead before long. I called the police and they have agreed to come and conspicuously visit me on Sunday so she notices.

Other than that I have spent much of the day (a very hot day) doing repeated 'cleaning' runs and test prints on the printer trying to sort out the fact it does not presently print. It's almost there, but I have used up an entire cartridge getting it running again. But at least I still have a functional printer. Not sure how the injectors got clogged, but clearly they were, and a cartridge is cheaper than a new printer (and associated changes in ink cartridge size.

Tomorrow is the day of spinning at Ross - there is a bushfire up there at present, so I am not sure if it will go ahead. If not, the rooster will meet his maker - otherwise he will have to wait till Monday.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 18 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the sewing machine Cassandra, and your dentist sounds a real find. I am glad I have found an optician like that. He has explained to me why I have to take my driving glasses off to park, as my strongest eye is not the 'best' eye.

MIL has always done these jobs herself; you know, taking a plug apart with a blunt kitchen knife etc. so it is nothing new. She just can't see as well as she used to, is less steady on her feet, and no less scatty that she was when I first knew her over 50 years ago. I think you have always been a bit more competent as less scatty at least Cassandra.

Hope neighbour goes back into not bothering you mode again, and enjoy the rooster, as I assume he is destined for dinner.

Gregotyn, if our weather is coming your way, you should be good for a couple of sunny days, although we are threatened with something again over Saturday night, possibly snow.

Jam Lady, hope your ice thaws quickly. We rarely get those sorts of conditions where I live, although we do get compacted snow, which causes problems, and sometimes ice.

Managed to get some more log sacks filled and delivered yesterday, although not the full order. Somehow, however many I fill, I end up with an order for 50, which is how many I still have to make to fulfil that order completely and do 2 more orders.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 18 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the gritters out most nights by us now, as it is usually icy in the mornings, today no exception, so the roads were clear, but my wind screen was solid lumps of ice so that had to go before I could make a move. I have learned the hard way to use de-icer and a scraper in order not to repeat the lesson of the last time I didn't have the right amount of snow removal before I used the wind screen wipers-£200 pounds worth of kit and labour, to fit a new wiper arm coupling-1 hour labour! We occasionally get late snow but very rare now. I can remember snow at Easter one year, when Easter came very early. I hope we have seen the last of snow for this year; I expect a fair bit of ice about for a month or so. I have not heard of onion snow before!

I expect it will be sense to stay home Cassandra if the fires are about. What a pain to have a moron around who can afford to toss eggs round the place. I don't recall you having a nutty neighbour before are these the horsey lot? Does the person need putting away before she can do some harm? Police involvement is sensible, and hopefully some insurance.

Your weather was cold and with some showers then this afternoon, MR., bright sunshine between the wet and dry, but cold. I'll let you know how tomorrow morning develops! I am finding that I can hardly keep up with the kindling needs even with bigger nets, I would have guessed at least 3 more fires per net. They are flying off the shelves, so no complaints. I will be sawing timber this afternoon when I get back and hopefully get enough done to do at least 10 nets this weekend. If I plan on doing this as I currently am then I will invest in a wood processor and go the whole way-logs as well. It would be a hard process to go for as there are a lot of log men around here, and one or two are doing sticks too. My man likes me as I am cheap and reliable-I pass every day and if I need to I go back with a load if he is down to 3 nets and top him up; its only 3 miles there and back. I always try to carry a few nets with me at the weekend as we get a lot of weekenders up here, even this late in the season, so tonight and tomorrow are critical-I don't want them going to the opposition!

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 18 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregotyn, she moved in shortly after I did and has been a problem pretty well ever since. I did make a considerable effort to get along (as did she) but soon realised that her efforts were forced. There would be odd occasions when she either took offence when none was given or would look at me strangely, and she would try to make me frightened of the other residents of the village by suggesting they were dangerous or not to be trusted. She also told be with feigned concern that she had heard some people were making trouble with Council against me etc etc (when in fact it was her all along) and it finally got to the point where i suggested mediation might be desirable as she was harrrassing me about my poultry and their potential to harm her non-existent garden (despite them being well penned, albeit without a roof on the yard). That set off such a horror storm I could not leave the house without being subjected to tirades so I called the police (after giving fair warning). Subsequent efforts to get the fence sorted etc , her decision to come in and pull out the hedge while I was at work in Hobart etc have led to an icy peace which has lasted for the last three years. Basically I pretend she is invisible.

Yesterday was completely out of the blue, and a bit inexplicable as you will see from the content of the letter I dropped off to her this morning on my way out). I suspect she is actually annoyed at me because the grass is getting a bit long (something I will be dealing with tomorrow, it being my first opportunity given weather and other commitments). But she has a talent for creating situations that actively obstruct my efforts to deal with the matter that is the actual source of grievance.

But today I had a lovely time at the Ross Summer Day. Last night was pretty restless as it was hot indoors though cold outside. And of course the dog developed a tummy upset so was waking me up at regular intervals demanding to go out. He is still not over it, and I am mildly concerned (though he is not dehydrated or showing other symptoms) though it may just be something he scavenged on our walk. It continued today and he is still more than a bit runny, but fortunately he only had one neat accident inside during my absence.

Before heading off I dropped off a saccharine sweet note in the neighbour's letter box - text as follows:

20 January 2018
Dear xxxxx
Thank you for reminding me of the fact it past time for me to deal with the Rooster. I have to say I appreciate your patience in not raising the matter earlier. Given the apparent urgency off your concerns, you have exercised outstanding restraint in not letting me know in the period since he first arrived in April 2015. Now I am aware, I will, of course, process him for the pot at my earliest convenience.
I wonder, as we are apparently now communicating, if you can give some thought to establishing a sturdier post to act as a strainer for your internal fencing. Star pickets are not ideal for this use as the very apparent lean demonstrates.
Another favour you might consider is advising anyone carrying eggs with malicious intent that their DNA is traceable to source.
I will be discussing this with Tas Police when they pop around to visit tomorrow.
Once again my thanks
Kind Regards
Jo

The Ross Summer day is a gathering of everyone with a spinning wheel who can get there and takes place on a traffic island under ancient (by our standards) deciduous trees in an historic village up the road from Oatlands (oddly enough, it's called Ross, haha). I filled a bobbin with Suffolk (which badly needs an additional wash, but first I have to work out what to ply it with and how), and started on a bundle of tops dyed in shades of grey from mid to dark charcoal. No idea where this came from as I have no recollection of buying it, but it is rather nice and with the addition of a second colour (to make up weight) will make a nice vest.

It remains hot but will, apparently be cooler tomorrow so I live in hope as I will be taking my 'glowing' face out with the whipper snipper for much of the morning!

[/i]

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 18 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow however many bags of logs I produce I need to do 50 more. We delivered 30 on Thursday, as one of our outlets was out of them, but they probably want another 20 and we have orders for 20 and 10 from 2 other outlets. Then there is another outlet who may well want 50 more at some point. I have to cut the birch next week, so will try to get at least 20 done, which will keep people quiet for a little bit. Husband has said we are having a weekend off this weekend as we are both tired.

If you buy a firewood processor, there are a number on the market Gregotyn. Depending on how many sacks of logs you expect to sell, you will probably want to go with one of the smaller ones. There are also log splitters available, but they are a lot slower, although take the hard work out of the splitting part of it. Kindling processers are another thing altogether, and we haven't bothered with one as we didn't think the investment worth while for us.

Pity your nutty neighbour is having another attack Cassandra. I remember her previous outbursts, and wondered what had become of her. Shame she didn't move or something rather than just lay dormant for a while.

Only helped at food bank yesterday, but somehow found it very tiring and had to have a sleep in the afternoon.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 18 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry Cassandra that I didn't remember the odd ball neighbour-you have mentioned her before, now that you remind me. My memory is shot. Anyway I love the letter-hope she takes heed. I trust you kept a copy for the police to read? I would think it may be time for her to move on elsewhere, some form of restrictive care perhaps? She sounds potentially dangerous. I think you may find the rooster goes missing as she may now want to save his life.
I am glad you had a good day at the the Ross Summer Day and do a bit of winning. I am sorry about the dog, and hope he gets better quickly. It happens to humans too, but it is not usually associated with scavenging in their case! I hope your cooler weather materialised for the strimming and the noise is too much for her next door and she has to go away for a long time.

By a wood processor I was looking at the ones that do kindling, MR. I already have an electric log splitter, but it is oh so slow that any I do are by axe; and my kindling is done by hand. I am reaching the point where I want to retire, so will be looking for another outlet for kindling, and have found a potential about 20 miles away where a friend put the word in for me. As the friend goes there shopping about twice a week he would also be the distributor. This will keep me more occupied than just lying abed. So a kindling splitter would be a good idea. But I thought that there where dual purpose splitters available for both logs and sticks? I have seen some apparently good machines around at shows, but not got over excited as the need is not there yet. One I saw was very good in a sawmill operating with log ends on a rotor, sawn off at stick length, rolled up a conveyor and fed into a cross section '4 way cutter',with the resultant sticks falling into a net at the end. The operator only puts in the logs and ties and stacks the nets, but the friend who demonstrated it assured me the operator was kept very busy!

It is very wet now, so I will be going home to do some sawing and splitting to get some more stock together for a netting session tomorrow. The girl across the road is doing my washing today, she seems fairly adamant that she is happy to do this for me and it is so useful. I normally wear a pair of work trousers for a week or so, and by the end of week 2 it looks like they are to thrown away, so a pair of trousers a week would be appreciated, but she is doing the lot! I normally get it done when I go to visit my Bridgnorth friends, but on my doorstep same day return is good!

I will report on Tuesday and hear of the "Nasty neighbour saga" then; best of luck with it, Cassandra. She does sound very nasty indeed, the type who could sound plausible, even though fabrication.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 18 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has been fairly silent all day today, and fortunately went out shortly before I got to that part of the hazard reduction (what most call mowing the lawn) near her boundary. And I got washing done and in, and had a lovely chat to the new police woman who was good as her word and came out to be visible for a chat. I told her what I had written (and yes, I have a photocopy should it be necessary to use it) and she laughed like a drain. We had a lovely chat actually and she was more than happy to let me know that they are also available in the event of cruelty like happens on the other side of me. So it's all good.

My over the road neighbour also called me over to let me know he had noticed psycho-neighbour scuttling down the side of my place with her 'tablet' (ie taking photos of the place), so it's nice to know I have neighbourhood watch of a sort (albeit a week late in letting me know). He would never in a million years stand up as a witness bbut at least he will let me know what is going on until I can get my security cameras.

I have also found a source for a new drive belt (and the proper staples for repairing the one I have) so will be pursuing that in the near future.

I promise some photos tomorrow Gregotyn - for your viewing pleasure on Tuesday. I wish I had a nice neighbour who did my washing for me!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 18 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in hearing about any kindling machine you are looking at Gregotyn. The main reason we don't do it is because of time. I am sure I could sell it if I could produce it, but I am slow at making it, husband is sporadic, and son doesn't want to bother.

Your neighbour sounds very kind doing your washing for you. Even is she has a washing machine, it is very good of her.

Cassandra, a watching neighbour is always useful, even if they are a bit after the event and won't stand up in court. We find dog walkers in the woods a useful early warning system sometimes. Hope your daft neighbour subsides again. Your policewoman sounds good too; well worth cultivating.

Had a quiet day yesterday as husband said we weren't going up to the woods and it was damp all day. Today it is raining, so hope it goes over and weather is good tomorrow for working.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 18 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things i had to put off on Friday was a trip to the vet with Smidgen. He has been off colour for a while and has been losing weight. This was initially grounds for celebration, but it all got a bit too much so I was planning to call at nine and make an appt. All the goings on quite drove it from my mind so it was on the list for Monday.

Unfortunately cats have a bad habit of masking how ill they really are, so on Monday morning Smidgen had collapsed - badly dehydrated and completely lacking in energy and unable to drink even when his nose was at the water bowl, so it was a very urgent trip once I had worked out where he was hidden.

Unfortunately the weight loss was associated with diabetes which became complicated by his pre-existing kidney issues, so the kindest thing was to put him to sleep. They called me and I was still down in that part of the world, so I was able to be with him when he passed. Sebastian is rather restless without his friend and even Billy seems to have altered his behaviour somewhat.
All three of my jetsetting babies are together again.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 18 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear that Cassandra. As you say, all together now. You still have Seb and Billy, and hopefully they will settle down soon. The kindest thing to do for Smidgen, but very sad for those left.

I finally managed to start cutting the birch tops yesterday. Unfortunately they had trees under them and husband and son were otherwise engaged further down in the wood, so I had to cut them down using a pruning saw. Most were quite small, but one was a bit bigger than is really suitable for that method, and it took me about 5 minutes to cut then about 15 mins to recover. It is not ideal to use tops from trees as big as that, but they seem to be pretty well the right shape, and I live in hopes that they will coppice, so I will have the right size next time, which will save a lot of work. Managed to walk one bundle down the track and up to the yard, and husband and son went to pick up the other two I had tied up. Another bundle to tie up is cut, and they have cut me a few more trees with the chainsaw, so the next round should be a lot easier and quicker. After I had run out of steam on that, I went down and carried on with the fire they had to burn up tops so they could get the forwarder in to pick up the logs they have been felling and cutting. A busy day and when the rain goes through, a repeat performance today. Am hoping to be able to fill a few log sacks for a delivery tomorrow too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 18 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, a sad loss for you, Cassandra, but the right thing for Smidgen.
I am pleased for you with regard to the police lady, and the chap who takes the pictures. With luck Ms. Nasty will be on her way. Nice if you could cure her and she became a decent part of the community, but very unlikely.

There are one or 2 different machines for kindling on the market. The best I have seen was old and would not pass H and S. It was an inverted u shape with an electric motor on the top. A crank arm connected to the chopping blade and the motor output rotor. The blade is inserted in a slot in the top of the u shape and when the motor turns the crank goes up and down and therefore so does the cutting blade. You turn it on, the blade goes up and down and then you pass a piece of wood at right angles to the 2 legs of the u piece and as you do the blade hits the top of the kindling and cuts the wood. Mind you fingers here! I have used one of these as a test for me, but the chap who demonstrated it moved and took it with him. The thing to remember is not to hold your hand too high up the wood you are cutting as it doesn't stop even if your finger is in the way! This is oh so simple, but not for an employee! I was looking for one which will cut logs and kindling, which may not be possible. Most seem to work by sending a log through an x cutter, slowly and as progress is made it cuts the log into kindling. I have seen this working too. The most efficient I have seen is where a man puts log offcuts vertically into a slot in a rotary; and these are held by air as the log reaches the crosscut immediately after the cut the air is switched off and the log drops down to the base and goes round the rotary till the time comes to cut the log again until it is finished and another log inserted. As the correct sized cut logs gather the same man puts these logs onto a conveyor which then takes the log to the x shaped cutters and firewood is produced which goes down a chute into a net-when full the same busy man removes the net puts on another and runs round to add more logs to the conveyor and on the way adds another log or so to the crosscut rotor. I bet you wish you had never mentioned the kindling cutters! I watched this machine in action and would not think it a job for a pensioner!

Going on to the neighbours. She is very kind and he is a good local lad, coming with good family references-I checked that early on! We are in negotiations about me selling my place to them, with me living there in a converted building and 'doing a bit'. They are currently paying a lot of money to rent a cottage and half an acre for her horse. He fells timber with one of those harvesters and she works in an office of a local agricultural merchant. The horse grazes my place on one acre and then gets the run after I have sold the hay off the other 4 1/2 acres. I don't charge-they are doing me a favour as I see it and they see me as doing them a favour-collective back scratching! I will keep you informed about how it all goes. We have plans to sell logs from the holding as well as kindling, and for me to retire. And that's why I am looking at kindling cutters to save the right arm a bit! My plans are to give them a personal mortgage, as I own my place outright. We will get an independent valuation and take it from there. I am off to see the solicitor-asap-to give her the gen and to see what she comes up with on how to go about it. It may not come up to where we both want to end up, but I am hoping it does. I do know that at present they are paying a lot of money out each month and at the end of it they have nothing of their own to show for it!

So, I land up with a home for life and they get a decent start. The complication is that the friends' children I go to for Christmas are the beneficiaries of my will. So, if I die sooner than it is paid off, they will get the money in bits and drabs-monthly-rather than in a dollop; I, however, won't be around to care! I think this is win-win all round.
I guess I will read your comments on Thursday, by that time I hope to have heard from the solicitor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 301 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive