Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 317, 318, 319 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 18 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are getting good support, Cassandra. Is there anyone helping with the visiting as well as posting fliers on your behalf? This could save you hours and give you more opportunities to talk to people for longer, or get to see more people. There is nothing as good as someone taking the trouble to call on people who least expect it. But I know very little, I have always been a background worker, except I once hit chairman of the Young Conservatives for an interim, whilst they found someone who would do the job better, or as it happened, to replace me, as I was harvesting sugar beet on the "late shift" so couldn't get to the meetings.
I am impressed with your angle on the resort-local labour not imported! It is a problem in some cases in the UK too. Here we have a large 24 hour bakery for various products; only the Polish seem to be prepared to do the night shift. To be fair they are hard working and most speak good English. In my previous job we had 2 Poles in the department and what good lads and workers they were too-quick learners. I hope the interview goes well for you.
I am on team Cassandra, go get 'em!

We are nowhere near bluebells, MR, still have lots of daffs. about and primroses. And shock, there is some May out in one or two places up here! I hope today's walk is good and the brown ends do their best to become black! It is all go for you at present. Our weather has not been too bad today a minor shower going to work this am., and since then windy and sunny.

On another note I have to go to the doctors' to day. I had a "twinge" in my left arm one night as I coughed and it has given me some not inconsiderable pain-a sort of dull ache-but constant. So I am a bit worried. I also need to have my sugars done-2 years since-as I was once diabetic type 2, and that is no fun, but when I got the all clear, well I made up for it a bit-who is a silly boy then? Hopefully today will sort it out. We don't have a doctor per individual, but a group practise and it is pot luck who you get unless you specify and wait till you can see him/her-3 weeks now; but this Doc. is thorough so I have waited. I will let you know tomorrow!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 18 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you do better than that Cassandra, but without the support of a party it is difficult to get the exposure they get. On the other hand, your personal approach, and not expecting everything to fall into your lap, is likely to win voters. The best of luck to you anyway.

Gregotyn, I hope all is well, and the pain is just a muscular sort of thing.

I did my second badly supported bluebell walk yesterday. Unfortunately there was an accident on the motorway, so at least 3 people were very late. Luckily we caught up with them, and I extended the walk so they saw the things we had already visited, but still only 4 takers. It had been showery though, so put a lot of people off. I just got wet for the second day in a row.

Son went home early afternoon as he wasn't feeling too good. Seems to have picked up a cold, and husband is threatening to have one too. Not sure I am not going down with one too; that's what comes of going to foreign parts 'up north'. Don't have resistance to their germs.

We have a bit of May out too Gregotyn. The blackthorn is still out, and it hasn't been exactly warm, so no idea why. The bluebells are either not going to be brilliant this year, or are not yet at their best, but pretty good anyway. There are lots of other flowers too I am glad to say, and we managed to find some early purple orchids, although they are not fully out yet.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 18 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another week till the Election MR, so you will be further bored with updates for a bit longer. Having run out of toner I found the two new boxes I had bought were the wrong size, so today I went to Hobart and replaced them - no questions asked which was nice since I had opened one up completely.
Then I went to see the returning officer (the official in charge of the election) and had a long chat with him about whether he prepares a report etc, and he hinted there will be serious questions asked about some of the matters that have been concerned about, though nothing so far has had the effect of voiding the election (thank heaven, or I would have to start over again!). He's a nice chap and his wife works with the legal company that I use so we chatted about a range of other topics as well, mutual acquaintances etc, and I headed off to get the cat food and litter before coming home by yet another back road and dropping in to see more remotely scattered people (because I couldn't be bothered doing the townships).
Tomorrow is Mon's funeral so not much will get done but that, some washing and time spent with the animals, the Mon, Tues and Wednesday I will be hard at it. After that there is a campaign lockdown during the course of which no self-promotion is permitted so I can take that time to catch up with myself, sort out my expenditure return (and bills) and put my feet up.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 18 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Cassandra we will not be bored with your campaign, we just hope you get elected. As MR says it is hard when you are alone in the job, but you seem to be making an impact and I suspect you are enjoying yourself too. This time round may not be successful, but you have done the spade-work, foundations for next time. In theory it is better per mile to be doing the townships as there are more folks there for the voting, but you are more likely to get support from those in remote areas because of the trouble you have gone to, to meet them. and those folks spread the "word". Towns are made up of people already politically aligned, and generally they don't talk to each other except to pass time of day. Anyway it is roll on Thursday, for a quiet life for you,! I am on your team for personal reasons-my bragging rights if you get elected, "I am friends with an MP in Australia"-fame at last!!

I did the doctors yesterday, and he is not worried about my heart, something of a blessing. He has tested all the relevant bits with a hammer! Most of my problems at present are neck related due to torticollis? which is literally a pain in the neck-no known cure just relief. It appears that the pain that has developed in the upper arm is due entirely to this complaint and some pins and needles that have started too. But overall he is happy. We are going to resume the sugar and other tests which have been neglected for a few years-basically they have let me slip through the net, ignored me in other words. Anyway the tests are scheduled for next month and the first appointment I can get to discuss them and adapt accordingly, is in June. I did insist on this doctor as he is good and tells me exactly what I have to do, and stops me when I ramble on!

Sorry the bluebell walks were not as well attended as you hoped, MR, wet weather being a downer for some people from the towns. And also sorry you all have colds. Keep warm and sweat it out. Is the saying "Starve a cold and feed a fever?" I think the 'germs' you have are not northern based-we above the Watford gap enjoy very healthy lives, except me! Our Blackthorn is appearing too in the hedgerows, it is normally later, with the sloes appearing in late August, for picking in Sept./Oct.

On a black note my cross cut saw broke the back fence a few days ago so I have had another one made, and fitted it last night It is not as good as the old one but works. The saw is making a funny sound too, I just hope it is not a new saw that I need. I have had this one for over 20 years; it owes me nothing, but would be an arm and a leg to replace-£1000 I expect.
On Sunday my former neighbour and I are going to fit a mud kitchen for the local play group, which I have made. I have black plastic straps and also a wire twister so we are hoping for a tight fix to the fence. It is one of the reasons I started the sticks to make other things from bulk wood and to utilise the offcuts and the stick empire was launched. The initial project was to make some lambing pens for a friend, which became just a shed in the end, but the sticks have been going for 25 years!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 18 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in your campaigning too Cassandra, so keep on with the updates. I hope that the people who have been pushing their luck get some sort of penalty.

How are Monika's family doing now? It must be very hard for them, as it doesn't sound as if she was very old. The community rallying round must be helping though.

Glad all is well Gregotyn. Think husband probably suffers from that or something similar, and it does cause him a bit of trouble sometimes, but good to know your heart is all right.

It was wet here yesterday too, but we are hoping for at least a dry day today, as I have a course running in the woods. We will be doing some walking round so it could be another muddy walk. Monday is forecast to be pretty dire, so we may decide not to work up there then.

Husband and I seem to be just snuffly at the moment, but son isn't too good. We told him to stay home yesterday as forecast was bad, and it was right; very heavy rain in the middle of the day and wettish thereafter.

Sorry there is a lot about the weather, but it is one of our most pressing concerns at the moment as it is stopping us working.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 18 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Gregotyn - you would go one better if I were elected - I would be an MLC and entitled to be referred to as 'the honorable' which makes me giggle when I consider some of the candidates.

I have been saying goodbye to Monika today - the funeral was .... different. Lots of '80s rock music and after the casket was removed a dance session up front which threw me off somewhat. But afterwards we had tea and cakes at the local hall and I met a few other people who will now be voting for me. One took my card to follow up on my FB page (he is from Campbell Town, a country town I have only dipped into rather than doing a full coverage).

One of our former councillors (a died in the wool conservative who has been writing to people urging them to vote for someone other than me) attended the funeral and we struck up a conversation. He at least had the guts to say he had endorsed the other candidate when he discovered I too was running. And had the grace to look embarrassed when he made that discovery, haha. We have had several conversations while I was at the History Room so while he is a tedious old fart (and his endorsement is unlikely to be very effective) I get along well with him. Another councillor also came up and had a chat with me, though the mayor had the sense not to bother coming to the afters.

I hope to get to the back roads tomorrow and will visit the back road down to Dunalley (a small fishing town gutted by fire a few years back).

Apart from that I caught up with the washing and have taken the dog for a few walks, and cleaned the bank. I will start cutting up flyers before dinner.

To answer your question Gregotyn - I have a keen supporter delivering flyers around the town (which takes away the immediacy of people having to talk to me) and will have to curb her enthusiasm so she does not continue to do so after Wednesday which is when we are to stop campaigning. She can be a little independent minded and contemptuous of the rules - she has even altered my flyer with an additional 'Vote Local' comment, haha. The local radio station is giving me rather more coverage than I have paid for and will be doing even more in the next few days, so it's all good.

I boosted a couple of my FaceBook posts which has shown a good return. And I have been suddenly picked up by some of the alternate news services who have been promoting me. I also noted someone recommended me as his pick - never heard of him, so presumably word of mouth. As you say Gregotyn - word spreads and the back roads can be rather fruitful in that regard simply because someone took the time to come visit up the long driveway and brave the pack of bounding working dogs that greeted their car. Being at ease with dogs is a huge advantage I have discovered.

So an early night tonight (my eyes are still a bit achey from the funeral) and out on the road tomorrow once more.

And yes, I really am enjoying the process - it has been invigorating and helped me to understand a whole bunch of types of people a lot better. I thought I had a wide range of friends and acquaintances, but clearly I need to expand my horizons further.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 18 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very upbeat, Cassandra, and that is good. Your name is being banded about, and all publicity is good "they" say; it keeps your name on the lips, rather than someone else's name, and spawns debate; one of your "gang" may well convert a doubter.
I have decided I don't want a send off; I have said to take me to the crematorium when I go and tip my ashes wherever they think I would like to be in the countryside. Entirely up to them if they want a party, but would rather they spent my money on themselves. One will squander it, the other has sense. If there is to be music then I would want blues and R' n' R. Must be happy stuff.
Early nights are a must now. When you are waiting for the results you will not be getting much sleep, unless they are early, and the subsequent party is over early!!
On your last note about friends. You always need a few close friends-but not too many-but lots of acquaintances.

I am heading to see my friend, a farmer I have known since I came here 30 years ago, but I also have to saw wood today, I don't make those sort of noises on Sundays. I will chop the stuff tomorrow as it is soft wood and doesn't make any loud noise. I have just about caught up with the kindling as the sales drop off dramatically now and I will be able to build up stock to get me to next Christmas, with the proviso that, "if I am spared"-a wonderful saying of a Great Aunt Sarah.

I have been shown a technique for the torticollis MR, which may be of help and should give some relief for a while for your husband. Place hand on the offending side of the neck, In my case the left hand on the left side of neck. Twist the hand very slightly to the right, whilst trying to turn the neck to the left. The relief is good, but doesn't last long and doc. says 'no know cure anyway', so that was his best and only offer!
I am sorry you are all not too well at the time when you have a lot on. Colds this year this year seem to be quite common, there are 2 lads off from work. Even I have had a sniffle but not worth being off sick for, and it went quickly. Thing is to have the time off to get better otherwise they go on and on and spread.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 18 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son is the only one really down with a cold Gregotyn; husband and I seem to keep threatening but not really have one. Thanks for the advice about the neck.

Sounds as if Monika's funeral was well attended Cassandra. Good to have met a few more people there and sounds as if some of them may have been useful, which from what you have said of Monika, she may well have approved of. Glad your local radio station is giving you good publicity, and that you are getting on some of the others. If you get the seat, do we have to bow or curtsy before addressing you?

I ran a course on basic woodland management yesterday, which went well. One couple had a wood of their own, and the other was thinking of buying one, so was able to tailor the course to what they wanted to know. It didn't rain, so although we were slipping and sliding a bit as we went round looking at various things, at least we stayed dry.

Today is a rest day, so if it doesn't rain, I hope to do some work in the garden, and persuade husband to join me in digging some of the raised beds. I was thinking of sowing some seeds, but we are forecast torrential rain tomorrow, so doesn't seem a good idea.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 18 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll settle for a bowed head, haha. Today I went down some back roads and called into various houses, one of which turned out to contain a former work colleague "I seem to remember someone of your name who once tried to get a job as a firefighter" said he, so I 'fessed up and we had a good chat for some time. Surprising who you meet. Also a few locals, but sadly not the chap I particularly wanted to catch up with along that route - we had a long chat when I was standing for Council and I wanted to thank him for that.

I also met a small, unsupervised terrier which took a chunk out of my finger quite unexpectedly, having given all signs of being friendly. So I clearly misread it. Fortunately I keep bandaids in the ute.

I have made my last formal post on my page - we go into media shut down on Wednesday, so I am putting this out on a major post boost - and have already had responses from two people - both friends, but neither following the page - so I assume it is working.

having a glass of wine with dinner tonight - my friend of long-standing has given me two bottles that were given to her as thanks for looking after her neighbour's rabbit which she did not fancy - lord knows why, but I suspect she prefers the sweeter varieties.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 18 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some dogs are unpredictable. One like that snapped at my face when I was a small child. Dad thought it was friendly as it always greeted him nicely, so encouraged me to pat it. Either it didn't like children or it was jealous because I was with him and getting attention. Anyway it didn't break the skin, but I have been between wary and scared of dogs ever since. Keep an eye on the bite and get a tetanus shot if you need one.

Nice to meet up with people you know, and hopefully you will get one or more extra votes. Good luck anyway.

Had a day off yesterday, so did some work in the garden. Managed to get another raised bed dug, the old pea and bean sticks down, and the worst of the weeds dug out of the greenhouse. I also cut back some bramble that is over another bed I want to dig. Husband is working on a covered trailer we want to use for sleeping in for shows, so helped him by holding some plywood panels while he sawed them. Still not sure what his ideas are going to look like, but hope it works anyway. Had a mixture of purple sprouting broccoli, sprouting kale, chard and a few nettle tops for 'greens' with dinner.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 18 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least one vote MR - someone I met today while doorknocking said, 'I just voted for you this morning' which was encouraging. She took my flyer anyway to see what I had to say.

I went to a nearby village with the intention of knocking on their doors but on the third door I was told by the man of the house his wife was 'out walking' and would be going to the fire station for a coffee afterward. So I headed to the fire station, got a coffee, had a nice chat, and when I went to the loo they discussed me among themselves and the one who knows me best asked me outright if I was a Greenie, haha. They liked my response so since they are the collective town gossips, I left them to spread the word.

Off down a long dirt road with few houses (fortunate, given the effect of the two coffees on top of my morning coffees) and dropped in to several more houses on my way to Sorell where I knocked on numerous more doors and delivered flyers as appropriate.

Home to do some 'firefighting' on Facebook as a friend of a friend had shared my page and had been asked 'but what does she stand for?' which is a tricky question when you are going for a job that requires that you not stand for anything until you have the facts, so I drafted up some dot points for the less well-schooled using simpler language than I usually use.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to express the outline of how you view things without showing bias. I doubt if most of the other candidates will try to have such an open mind. I am sure you will have a lot more than 1 vote, and hope you get lots. By the time you read this you will be pretty well into the no more publicity time, so the best of luck. It would be lovely if you got the seat, but as you say, with the publicity of the main parties behind the others, they have an advantage there. Anyway, hope you get the post.

The weather here yesterday was too windy and wet to get out to the woods to work, so son stayed at home and husband did a few odd jobs including starting some stands for a show at the weekend. I did some paperwork jobs and went out with some of the ladies who help at foodbank. The excuse was that two of them have birthdays over the next week or so.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more publicity starts tomorrow, so I will have one more day of doors and then put my feet up. Today was a rather long day as I started by being bailed up by someone who needed a taxi to Oatlands. So I drove her in 'to get some money from the bank to pay for the kids at school' and found myself waiting as she did her weekly shop then went into conference with the headmistress. So I didn't get to Brighton till after ten, but covered over 200 houses before packing it in (hot day today) and heading home via someone who had indicated on my page that she was old, unable to get to the doctor and wanted to talk. So I called in with some jammy tarts and sat down with a lovely, fit and able woman (70+) who turned out to be a spinner. Two hours later I eased myself out the door and headed home to put up my feet. No such luck. Someone had messaged my page offering to host a sign. So off I drove to the East Coast, only to find he had not responded to my message asking for an address. Luckily I know the town fairly well and knew a spot I could leave it, so that is what I did. I sent him a message to let him know where to find it and he has now (finally) responded. So now I have choked down my dinner, printed off another 200 flyers for tomorrow and am half way down my glass of wine, I will be retiring shortly!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope by saying retiring, Cassandra, you mean going to bed! I am hoping you get elected for the experience, if nothing else, with all the hard graft you have put into the campaign, you deserve to be "in". What a nuisance to be bitten by a dog, I hope you found the owners who should vote for you as compensation!

We had a frost this morning, had to de-ice the wind screen at 5 am, but the roads were clear or I was lucky! It is now almost daylight at that time, good enough to see, but not full on if you understand. And so no lorries are approaching with head lights full on now, and we have progressed to side lights.
Monday was a good day all round and, comfortable day at work, and when I got home I sawed and chopped firewood. I have collected 3 pallets today to convert into kindling between tonight and tomorrow night, and am now on target to be able to go away for the week knowing there is enough stock. Now to persuade the shop to carry the stock in case they need it!
I hope the advice regarding the neck works for your husband, MR., as it does for me, but is a now a frequent thing now for me as the relief is somewhat temporary, but welcome.
How good to be able to help others set up or maintain a wood. They are things we really need to be encouraging, if only for the oxygen level increase! And ash is so easy to grow and becomes useable in, firewood terms, very quickly. I have self sets less than 5 years old which I will have to fell one being along side a gate post and so now when the horse comes, it will have to go-gate needs to be closed, but it will do at least 2 nights for logs.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 18 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have been dashing about everywhere Cassandra. After all that effort you deserve to win. If we are 'lucky' we get flyers sent out with the post. We only have houses on one side of our road, and none of the candidates so far in the time we have been here-coming up 36 years have bothered. Actually, I think one council candidate did, but she represented a party I had a reason to dislike, so she left it that she hoped I wouldn't hold it against them at the local elections. I was very polite to her though.

Gregotyn, you seem to be doing well on the kindling front.

We have a bit of a charcoal crisis at the moment as the weather hasn't been helpful. We had a productive day yesterday, but the orders keep coming faster than we can fulfil them. We filled 20 bags yesterday, and I also did 12 log sacks for an order. Tied up and brought home 18 pea sticks and filled the kiln. Rather a busy day, but we have also got the back on the truck, so we can carry charcoal around rather more easily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 317, 318, 319 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 318 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive