Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
vinegar instead of fabric conditioner
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 18 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
buzzy wrote:
So where is the thread that advocates putting fabric softener on your chips instead of vinegar, or have I got the wrong idea?

Henry

It certainly stops other people from pinching your chips.

So does vinegar as far as I am concerned!

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 18 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 18 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use fabric conditioner when I am doing hand washing, and sometimes in summer when I am using the washing machine. In winter I tend to use the tumble dryer with those little knobbly balls in, so no need for conditioner.

Vinegar is very useful for limescale, and sodium bicarb, for keeping the fridge nice smelling. A past of it is supposed to make it easy to clean the oven too, but most ovens these days don't need it. I do find that bicarb, vinegar or combination of both, and washing up liquid, do most of the household cleaning I want. Wet newspaper is also very good for cleaning windows and fire glass.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 18 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a paste of bicarb on a fairly hot/warm oven...does the trick nicely and no worries about caustic splashes

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 18 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a small dose of fabric softener to eliminate static, for some reason I'm very prone to being zapped.

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 18 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I do find that bicarb, vinegar or combination of both, and washing up liquid, do most of the household cleaning I want.

MR can you tell me why you use a combination of the two? Is it just the combo of acid and abrasive?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 18 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have some muck that is permeable or rough and can get the bicarb into it, putting acid on will make it fizz and lift the muck. Otherwise, I find one or the other copes with a lot of things. We have hard water, so vinegar is good for shifting water marks and limescale, but bicarb is good for things like tea stains as they are going to be more acid. I find washing up liquid about the best for removing grease as it is quite strong; a lot stronger than most of the other household cleaners. I am always rather worried about using anything very much stronger than bicarb or vinegar as it might attack what I am trying to clean.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 18 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
I use a small dose of fabric softener to eliminate static, for some reason I'm very prone to being zapped.

yes me too

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 18 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do build up static more, but it is also to do with the clothes you wear and how dry the air is. I remember one day when I was a child that the hair brush I had been using seemed to be having a very mini thunderstorm to itself where it was discharging.

Best way to minimise static, apart from conditioner, is to wear cotton, linen or wool clothes and not to have the house too dry.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 18 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
not to have the house too dry.

No fear of that!

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:
not to have the house too dry.

No fear of that!

nor here!

beginning to think back along when lots of people were saying they use vinegar it was just in the vinegar cures all phase... which was after the tea tree oil cures all phase, but before the kale smoothies cures all phase...

I am in the process of experimenting (but no plans to put kale smoothies in the washing machine) . Given we have very soft water here, I'm not sure how useful vinegar is.. not like we have any limescale anyway, but still there is a very noticeable difference when just skipping the fabric conditioner.

The village shop now sells FC and other household stuff that you fill your own bottle, so I shall be getting that when I need it.. at least it saves on the plastic... which is why I started this thread in the first place.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 18 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the placebo effect in the laundry would be an interesting study

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 18 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabric conditioner does react with the remaining detergent in the clothes I think. After using the washing machine rinse there is quite a lot of stuff left in the wash. If you rinse anything out in clean water you will see it.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 18 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that primarily the case if you're using more detergent than you need for the dirt/grease/etc in that load?

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 18 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
the placebo effect in the laundry would be an interesting study

I'm inclined to think people who say it makes no difference haven't actually tried it in a long while. it's different. You might prefer one feel to another.. or not care. but it is still different.

But this thread wasn't about whether I was making up if FC works or not.. I was asking how people got on using vinegar. Because, people here previously said they did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive