links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Folks, A trick I learned for growing green onions/scallions
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 18 9:12 pm    Post subject: Folks, A trick I learned for growing green onions/scallions Reply with quote

Folks,

I thought you might find this trick useful when growing green onions or scallions. If you have a habit of buying them from the store just cut off the white part and plant them root section down.

They'll sprout much quicker than from seed and when you decide to harvest cut them off about 1" above the ground. That way you should be able to harvest the same green onion between 3 to 5 times per year as they'll regrow the green section again and again.

Regards

billfromlachine.

Last edited by billfromlachine on Wed Jul 11, 18 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Bill. I have just looked up scallions, as it is a term I have heard, but not known what they are. They are a milder variety of our spring onions, and while others may know better, I have never heard of them being grown in the UK. No doubt like corn on the cob and squash they will come.

billfromlachine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose,

Well considering that one sowing of these green onions/scallions will provide probably for a full year of use it's worth trying to track down some
seeds in the U.K.

If you don't have any luck let me know and I'll get you a packet of seeds to send along. You can supply your local restaurants and/or green grocer
to make a bit of extra quid....lol.

Regards

Bill

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two people divided by a common language? are scallions and spring onions local names for the same thing ? ie young onion shoots.

i grow mine from setts just to add to the confusion.

the cut and grow again thing is ace when they are growing fast

billfromlachine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 18 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack,

Not quite the same thing the scallions/green onions do not make a bulb.

From what I can tell the spring onions are immature onions that are picked ahead of maturity and if let to grow the entire season would be your standard onions.

Regards
Bill

dpack wrote:
two people divided by a common language? are scallions and spring onions local names for the same thing ? ie young onion shoots.

i grow mine from setts just to add to the confusion.

the cut and grow again thing is ace when they are growing fast

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we say scallions to refer to varieties of onion that basically look like mini leeks. Also called bunching onions or spring onions

Nabechan is a good one (Japanese variety I believe) known to be resistant to forming a bulb.

You wouldn't typically bother with sets for these (even if they could be had).

(Hi Bill, neighbor from a bit south of you - they call cilantro coriander leaf as well )

billfromlachine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim,

Nice to see someone else from this side of the pond. Some of the terms used in the UK versus North America are a bit different. But I'll get it all sorted out...

Regards

Bill

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked them up, and I don't think they are the same. I might see if seed is available here, but I have never seen it. There could be a good reason for that as our climate is completely different to your. Think more Vancouver.

I recently had some Canadian cousins over, and we had great fun about what was found in a British wood. Did we have bears? No, racoons? no, skunks? no, wolves? no. We do have your pesky grey squirrels though. A few other terms needed to be explained too, but we managed to work it out between us.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll grow just fine over there

billfromlachine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose,

Yep back in my mispent youth I went out with a gal who was from the UK.

Boot is what we consider the trunk of a car.

Torch we'd call a flashlight.

Glass paper versus sandpaper and many other terms.

Like slim said I'm sure that scallions will grow just fine there and odds are with a bit of mulch all year round. I'll see if I can find a packet for you.

Regards

Bill

Mistress Rose wrote:
I looked them up, and I don't think they are the same. I might see if seed is available here, but I have never seen it. There could be a good reason for that as our climate is completely different to your. Think more Vancouver.

I recently had some Canadian cousins over, and we had great fun about what was found in a British wood. Did we have bears? No, racoons? no, skunks? no, wolves? no. We do have your pesky grey squirrels though. A few other terms needed to be explained too, but we managed to work it out between us.

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 18 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grow scallions / spring onions in the UK and they grow really well, there are hundreds of varieties.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 18 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the conversation i had with bill and gary ( in NYC ) when i was asking for suitable containers to mix pimms was quite amusing.

"can i borrow your jugs?" was rather confusing for 2 gay guys and then i remembered that a pitcher is not just somebody chatting to a commissioning editor

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 18 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just don't ask for a fag

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 18 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always viewed 'spring onion' and 'scallion' as being interchangeable terms but then I was born in SA.

billfromlachine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 18 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan,

What we call scallions/green onions in North America do not make bulbs and are grown primarily for their green tops. It's also much used in Chinese cooking the chop in up and put in raw in soups or add to stir fries, etc....

Unless I'm mistaken spring onions in the UK are imature onions with small bulbs, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a short video explaning scallions/green onions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSeKPGGZG4o

Regards + HH

Bill

Shan wrote:
I've always viewed 'spring onion' and 'scallion' as being interchangeable terms but then I was born in SA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive