Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What I do on Mondays!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 18 9:47 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

We have had BNO in mid May, but usually in brown leaves. The area we searched on Monday had lots of greenery growing up, making the search much more difficult. We put it down to the oddness of the season.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 18 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I usually find them after the bluebells and wild garlic have died back, usually some time in June at the earliest, but that could be because they are hidden before that, as you say.

buzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 18 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

After four Mondays with no outing (my usual lift givers were away or otherwise busy) I went out on Monday in the hot sun. We saw a few Black Hairstreaks which was a bit of a surprise, as we had been told that they were over. A couple of those that we saw were indeed very badly worn. We also saw several Silver Washed Fritillaries, and lots of Ringlets and Meadow Browns. All the butterflies we saw were extremely active and almost impossible to photograph. Plenty of Buzzards and Red Kites in the skies'

All I managed to photograph was this patch of eggs, which somebody happened to spot:

I have no real idea who laid them!

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 18 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

a clutch and two "predators in waiting " ?

a couple of those look very different to most of em .

no idea what invertebrate laid em though

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 18 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Similarly, but very well spotted by someone. We have silver washed fritillaries flying, and saw some that are probably ringlets but wouldn't stay still long enough to be identified. Also speckled wood. The other brown ones could be meadow browns, but like the ringlets, wouldn't stay still.

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 18 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Out today to a mixed area, where we mainly explored the heathland part. Saw Green Tiger Beetles in the first few minutes, but, like all the invertebrates, they were extremely active in the hot sun, and I didn't get any pictures.

There were lots of solitary bee/wasp nests, and we saw Ruby Tailed Wasps.

A variety of dragon and damsel flies round the ponds, but again, far too active for pictures.

One person, several times, said "Oh, look! Purple Hairstreak!', pointing at a fast vanishing black dot high in an Oak tree.

We stopped at a hide near another pond, where a Magpie and a Stock Dove (Columba oenas) posed for pictures:

I haven't photographed Stock Dove before, even though they live in the garden. They seem to be secretive, as I hardly ever see them, though I hear them frequently.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 18 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

The insects are very fast moving at the moment aren't they. There are several butterflies I would like to look at but they won't stay still! Nice picture.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 18 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

What I saw hunting in my garden this morning.

That's a fuchsia leaf, which gives you an idea of how small the spider is.

When I first noticed it the caterpillar was thrashing around. By the time I got the camera and went back outside it was limp as the spider scuttled to the underside of the leaf.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 18 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

the escaping blob is a sign the weather is warm , smallish whiteish or big n gaudy is the closest i have got to id recently

the spider will have a decent meal out of that, nice snap.

buzzy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 18 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Have missed a couple of Mondays for a variety of reasons, and last time I went out did not get any usable pictures.

However, last Monday was pleasantly cooler and we had a very good walk, finding an excellent cluster of Violet Helleborine, making a much better showing than they did last year. Plenty of butterflies (Ringlets, Gatekeepers, G V Whites, several rather worn S W Fritillaries and one extremely worn White Letter Hairstreak).

Found these rather nice mite galls on Wayfaring Tree (Viburnum lantana):

Caused by the mite Eriophyes viburni

Supposedly quite common.

Henry

PS Meal at the "All you can gobble" Indian buffet after the walk. Very enjoyable.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 18 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

as they share part of a name that mite depend how common the tree is ( couldn’t resist it )

well noticed still things can be as evasive as fast things

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 18 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Did you get a picture of the violet helleborines Buzzy? We have wayfaring tree in the woods, but never noticed any galls on them. Perhaps I should go looking.

buzzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 18 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Last week we had a very warm walk on some very dry grassland - but we did see our target species (Dodder - lots of it) and the gall on Dyer's Greenweed (just two of them).

This week (yesterday) was much cooler, but the grassland was still very dry. We did find a few small specimens of Slender St John's Wort but they had finished flowering and were most unphotogenic!

We saw quite a few female Wasp Spiders (Argiope bruennichi). They were quite large and presumably full of eggs:

Adjacent to the Wasp Spiders we came across a very eggful Four Spot Orb Weaver (Araneus quadratus) which refused to turn round for my camera!:

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 18 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

nice spider snaps, thanks.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 18 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Good pictures. Afraid I can't identify spiders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46
Page 46 of 46
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive